Information about NhaTrang

Hello,
I am planning on a move to Nha Trang in September. I am Irish born and have lived in the USA for several years. I am ready for a new adventure and Nha Trang sounds lovely. I would greatly appreciate any information about moving there, and would love to connect with folks who live there.
Marie

You will love Nha Trang. Have you been there before? Have you ever considered Da Lat. The downside of Nha Trang for me is that it is being overtaken by the Russians. Without a doubt the rudest people and most pugnacious one can find on earth. The sea breeze of the coast does mitigate the heat some. Were as Da Lat is almost a mile up and the highs are around 78f w/ lows around 68f. I might be able to tell you a little, what specifically are you wanting to know?

bta87 wrote:

You will love Nha Trang. Have you been there before? Have you ever considered Da Lat. The downside of Nha Trang for me is that it is being overtaken by the Russians. Without a doubt the rudest people and most pugnacious one can find on earth. The sea breeze of the coast does mitigate the heat some. Were as Da Lat is almost a mile up and the highs are around 78f w/ lows around 68f. I might be able to tell you a little, what specifically are you wanting to know?

Really?  I always thought Americans had Nha Trang and the Russians had Phan Thiet.  I read alot of stories of ex-GI's retiring in Nha Trang because of the beaches there.  I tried to go on a motorbike trip to Nha Trang one summer but ended up only making it to Phan Rang so I didn't get to verify.

Well I can tell you for sure there is not a HUGE population of ex-GI's living in Nha Trang. Honestly there are not that many expats Westerners in Nha Trang. Almost all the signage is in Russian. Some of the hotels have been bought by the Russians and they don't care to pander to Westerners at all.
The entire situation in that regard is a real put off to me. Don't get me wrong I like Nha Trang, just not this aspect of it. If there were not Da Lat I would choose Nha Trang as well.

bta87,
Thanks so much for responding. I want to teach English for a year, may be more. I am at a point in my life when I need a new adventure. I will consider Da Lat....like the lower temperatures. At the moment I am in an intensive CELTA course, which will qualify me to teach in foreign countries. My other choice might be Da Nang. Have you been there? In regard to the presence of the Russian population, I have read similar comments about their conduct. That is perturbing!
I am living in the USA and have not been to Vietnam before. I moved here from Ireland several years ago and have worked in Education for 15 years.
Many thanks again for giving me pointers. What line of work are you in? Or perhaps you are exploring your next step!:)
Marie

I'm a real estate investor. I first went to VN only as a stopover on my way to Thailand. I planned on basing myself there and and traveling S.E. Asia for 5 years or so. I fell in love with VN and its people and decided to pull up stakes and move there permanently. I am a little humidity/heat averse. Plus like I said I find the Russian repugnant. As I understand it the higher paying English jobs are in HCM and Hanoi. Where I've been told you can get upwards of $40 and house. Were as in Nha Trang my ESL friend says you can get around $15. I might be able to hook you up with him on the ESL part. When you go get a B1 multiple entry visa (business visa) Moocho better. VN is an exciting place in my opinion. you would be treated as a rock star. More later gotta a call to answer

Oh I am also heat/humidity adverse! So interesting to learn of your journey and finding that VN is where you want to hang your hat!How fabulous! Gosh, that is exciting that you know an ESL teacher. I understand that one can make more money in the big cities, but at least in the beginning, I would like to be in a less busy environment. I so appreciate the possibility of connecting with your ESL friend. Until the end of August I am in school from 9 in the morning until 5 at night, so when I am done I will write you.
Once again, thanks for responding.
My best to you.
Marie

Hi. My wife and I, we are Americans, are considering moving to Nha Trang in February, 2014. Have you received any responses to your post?

By the way we vacation in Ireland regularly Mayo and Donnegal.
Love it in Ireland.

Lloyd and Esther

As one of the very few Irish men in Nha Trang, I welcome another to come to live here. You will enjoy it I'm sure. PM me when you get here and I will take you out for a beer and give you the lay of the land.. Colm

Colm,
Thanks soo much for responding. I would love to meet you in Danang. How long have you been there?
I will definitely connect with you when I get there.
Til soon,
Marie

Hi mkubo, I'm a guys live in Danang city. When a student, I studied in Nha Trang Uni 3 years ago. If you come in Danang city & need tour-guide or friends can contact me. It's just free, lol. Enjoys your time in Nha Trang, lovely beach :)

Thanks so much for your kind offer. I need someone to show me around, so I will connect with you when I arrive. I plan on teaching English, but do not have a degree. I have the CELTA Certificate. Is it still possible to get a Teaching job? I have 17 years experiene working in the Public School System here in the United States. I worked with teens who had behavioral challenges. I love working with young people.
Thanks for any guidance.
My best to you,
Marie

Erm, I don't live in Danang, I live in Nha Trang :) I've been here nearly 4 years now and have no plans on leaving anytime soon. I know a lot of the English schools here and quite a few teachers/owners/principles etc, so I'll help you out in finding some work!!!

Oh ok! I had considered goint to Nha Trang. So, would it be possible for me to get a teaching job in your town without a degree? I really appreciate your help.
Marie

Hi Marie,

Yes it is possible, provided you have some sort of teaching qualifications such as Celta/TEFL. There is also the option of doing private classes, one on one or to small groups which can be a nice little earner on the side.

There are plenty of schools in the city and usually positions available. Regarding the degree, as i said, usually teaching experience and some teaching qualification is enough, but a Degree is always preferred, especially if you're planning to get a work permit... But I know plenty of teachers who dont have a degree so i wouldn't worry too much

C

We've looked at Nha Trang and Dalat before. The wife prefers Dalat, and with the new road Dalat is a reasonable few hours away. However I much prefer Nha Trang.

I've run into a small number of Americans claiming to be veterans in Nha Trang, a smaller number of which actually were. In 2012 the  number of Russian businesses surprised me. We spent a day on the bay with a large group of Russian tourists, who were friendly enough, but some of Russians living there acted like heavies in some gangster film.

I particularly like the Peace monument they erected on the beach. Several years earlier that had been a grey and pink marble stele commemorating the point where the PAVN reached the sea in 1975. A lot of northerners had been resettled in Nha Trang after 1975, when the first dog meat restaurants appeared (look for the "Thit Cho" signs, often hand lettered.) This was a historic follow-up to 1954, when the ARVN Vietnamese parachute units were regrouped in Nha Trang, along with the Vietnamese Army and Naval Commandos in French Service, to form what became the ARVN paratroop brigade and Marine Corps. It was no surprise to find that Nha Trang is now a Naval headquarters.

I've been to Nha Trang 8-9 times in the last 5-1/2 years.  I am now married to a woman from there.  It could be the places you visit to see Russians because we mostly went to Vietnamese restaurants and clubs so there weren't many Russians.  In fact, the only Russians I remember seeing were at the beach and at the Louisiana Bar, also on the beach.

Perry88,

In re: "It could be the places you visit to see Russians because we mostly went to Vietnamese restaurants and clubs so there weren't many Russians."

Yes. When we go to Nha Trang we always bring a van full of family, so our eating tends to be on the street or in restaurants where I am usually the only Nguoi My. Also on the beach, which the relatives particularly enjoy. Our normal hotel, Guest House 30, had become something else, so last time we stayed at the Phu Quy (one of 3) just behind the provincial music hall.

I normally break off to drink at local expat pubs after the relatives take off to stroll around. The Russian businesses (Beauty Shops, etc) were along Hung Vuong St, between Ng. Thi Minh Khai and Biet Thu streets, and Cyrillic signs were noticeable in the tourist district around Crazy Kims.

We didn't see any non-Vietnamese in the high-end style coffee shops down on Ng. Thien Thuat or near the old Fregate (Yersin st?).