Unsafe in Nha Trang

Hi all,
I heard Nha Trang is not really safe at night.
I'd appreciate any information on what to stay away from.

Beaches and the strip. Also avoid anywhere on the fringes of the town and taking motorcycles at night (dumped in middle of nowhere or delivered in to gang areas).

Heard of one guy who got a 'free' ride on a motorcycle sandwiched between 2 females (one driving) and when he got off he found, after the motorcycle had left, he had also lost his wallet.

Some taxi drivers don't like Germans as one ripped them off for a couple of hundred thousand.

Bar 'strips' are high risk areas as drunken Foreigners usually provide rich pickings.

In other words, use common sense.  I think the safety measures you would use in Nha Trang would be the same you would use in your home countries.

Thanks guys.
That's about what I was thinking. Couple of hysterical reports on 'police mafia' I heard didn't sound reasonable to me.

Perry88 - wise angle
and it sounds like when Luke Skywalker entered the old tree, he asked Yoda what he would find inside: the same that he takes with himself

any place in the world at night you can find trouble, just stay off the booze and trust your judgement and you'll be fine...I would classify Nha Trang as very safe on a world scale.

panda7 wrote:

...I would classify Nha Trang as very safe on a world scale.

Guess you have never been to some of the clubs on the outskirts of the city OR even walked along the beach, at night, in the city limits.

For a coastal resort, Nha Trang can be bad.

P.S. Hoi An is very safe compared to anywhere - except when you buy clothing.

I can confirm the statement from panda7. It is quite safe, if common sense is used and the brains are not boozed.

Once is always a first time and many foreigners are no angles neither, quite commonly breaking common rules, which might be add towards the escalations.

l3ully wrote:

... foreigners are no angles neither, quite commonly breaking common rules ...

Would that be 45 or 90 degree 'angles'?

One Nha Trang angle boated about taking taxi driver for a couple of hundred thousand Dong. Lucky he didn't get whacked by the pipe most taxi drivers carry.

Jaitch wrote:
l3ully wrote:

... foreigners are no angles neither, quite commonly breaking common rules ...

Would that be 45 or 90 degree 'angles'?

One Nha Trang angle boated about taking taxi driver for a couple of hundred thousand Dong. Lucky he didn't get whacked by the pipe most taxi drivers carry.

yes, that might also cause

Calm down. These kinda taxi drivers also cheat domestic tourists. Tourists must have reliable info about d destination they arrive to. Tday there r many ways to get correct info about prices, dangerous places , cheating technics etc. and of course we still have to face unwaited situations every day. But that is 'normal', cause we r not at home.

Becarefull every corners, even police and officials... they all can rob you in differant ways..

wvictor wrote:

Be careful every corners, even police and officials... they all can rob you in differant ways..

and they prefer USDee..
learnt the difference yet?

Best to drink responsibly and when you do, be in the company of good, trusted friends. I remember after a club closed around 4 am in the morning, one foreigner was clearly drunk and staggering outside the club. Then I saw some lady with broken English come over, grabbed his arm, started dragging him, trying to wave down a taxi.
At first I thought it was his girlfriend trying to get home.
My friend told me it was some prostitute trying to score a pay day with a drunk foreigner and no taxi in the area was falling for it.

Stereotypes everywhere by everybody

Ymel wrote:

Stereotypes everywhere by everybody

Guess you haven't been threatened by a local with a knife. Not a stereotype.

That is not, it is true. And it unfortunately happens everywhere. I dont think that Nha Trang is among the most dangerous cities. And we know that there s the 'beach industry' here which is dangerous all over the world. And I can see a lot of 'uneducated' faces enjoying the 'local features' and the safe distance from their own countries. But mind unwritten rules and you can manage urself.

I used to drink at a friends bar in Nha Trang until 2 or 3 in the morning. We used to sit outside taking the cool night air philosophizing. On three times when I was there young couples would run up in total distress after being robbed by up to 12 people on 6 motorbikes. I was told that the women on the back were prostitutes and they would rob the women while the men would go for the guys.
Their modus operandi was to pick backpackers who were drunk from 12 onward and drive their motorbikes round them thereby encircling them, then threaten them and take everything.
The thing is they did use to get everything! Most of the backpackers were extremely paranoid about getting stuff robbed from their hotel rooms ( well who can blame them? after more than 30 yrs travelling in over 20 countries with nothing getting robbed, the management in my hotel in Quang Ngai, first on the right after the bridge on Quang Trung the main road coming into town from the north, used a key to break into my room and steal my iphone, shocking behavior!)
So, they tended to carry their passports, money, cameras, laptops with them.
One girl, Australian I think, fought the prozies off and chased them down the road and got her stuff back. Yeh for her! She was still really distraught after it all.
As I said it happened 3 times when I was sitting there and that was in 2 weeks 1 1/2 years ago.
I had to leave cause I used to see them trying it and I rode my motorbike, an old Minsk, at them. If I stayed i'd be dead by now, seriously.
It gets my juices all worked up lol

Oh and as far as the mafia go well , the police are changed every now and then . The Saigon police are notoriously corrupt. There was a story going round when I was there that a party official from Hanoi got a few thousand dollars stolen from a massage joint. The story goes that the Hanoi police came down hard and took all the motorbike taxis bikes away from them for a week and they took over policing the town. Apparently, as I said before, its normal for them to swap every so often anyway.
Cheers
John

I've been traveled to almost south-east Asian area, and this small beach city is too small to be unsafe. I mean, besides the fact that the local people here understands English pretty good that they could help you anw, u can also easily find a police boots at each corners of the street to ask for help...

The only problem my wife and I had a problem with was an attempted purse snatching while we were being pedaled around in one of the cyclo taxi things. Luckily she had a firm grip on it and didn't lose it. We heard later this was quiet common and sometimes the cyclo drivers are involved.

hi I was thinking my last post maybe made it seem like Nha Trang was particularly dangerous. It isn't, Cambodia is dangerous.
, but not really as dangerous as South America or especially sub saharan Africa.
I was trying to make the point to young backpackers not to get drunk and wonder the streets of Nha Trang at night, because you will almost definitely get robbed. Nothing the locals can do about it, as is the case with so much in Vietnam and elsewhere.
No one individual can fight the gangster mafia.
Nha Trang is my favouritr place in Vietnam for relaxing by the beach. It is stunningly beautiful and I recommend anyone to visit.
Just be careful if you like to get drunk late at night.

Looks like the locals are getting their fair share of grief from the tourists/expats there, as well.

http://m.en.news.vn/explore-vietnam/exp … 90640.html

..and then there was this tragedy.

http://www.thanhniennews.com/2010/pages … l-him.aspx

The chances of him actually being extradited back to Vietnam are zero to none.  He has pleaded "guilty" and is facing a paltry 10 years in a US prison, when he should be facing a much worse fate, here in Vietnam.

These deaths were strange, to say the least.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/ … t-in-asia/

The saying "Nothing good happens after 12am." rings true.  "Watch your 6.",  a phrase we used in the army, does too.  It means to be aware of what's happening behind you, be smart and be safe.