Visa from London

My experience of getting the visa is:

Arrive early. I got there at 8 in the morning thinking to just check it out and then go for breakfast. In fact, I was third in the queue. The doors to the waiting room opened early at about 9 and about 30 people filed in and sat and waited. Plenty more came later.

We were then issued our pair of yellow numbered tickets and returned to sit and wait.

In turn, the numbers were called out and we went to hand in our papers:

=> passport (with translation into Arabic from the Arab Chamber of Commerce)

=> passport application form. This can be found as a pdf file and filled in on screen and printed. (Social status means married/single etc.)

=> 4 passport-sized photos that resemble the photo in your passport. If you have grown or shaved off a beard since your passport photo or have a very different hair style so the photo is very different, you may have a problem.

=> your visa number. I had a print copy of an email from my employer with the number highlighted.

=> letter of invitation.

=> fee £150

=> yellow tickets

I was then given a white ticket which is needed to collect the passport and visa. Although the web site says "next day" you will be told that it takes 3 working days. This date will be written on the ticket.

The white ticket is written in Arabic. The lines are:
1 - name
2 - passport number
3 - date of application
4 - date of delivery
5 - signature (the yellow ticket number was written here)

I then had quite a long wait for the call to get finger prints taken. This is done on an electronic scanner.

I was not given the yellow numbered ticket. I guess that the written ticket replaces it.

Hope this is useful!!!!

Yes, the white slip now replaces the old yellow or green raffle tickets they previously issued. (I think this is as recent as last month)

For collection the office is only open between 1pm & 2pm. They seem to open the window late for collection, but I would suspect it closes on time. Also pretty sure they are closed Friday.

For collection, the office was open 10 til 12, but I suspect that those times are only for Ramadan.

The collection was easy enough. There was a small queue that started about 30 minutes before opening time. The doors opened and people were served in the order that they came in.

The passports were in a tray and it was simply a case of hand in your white ticket and get your passport back.

It's all written in Arabic!

The information on the visa (starting top right and going down to bottom left is:

file number = visa number from Libya
name (this is written in English)
usual residence
date of issue
place of issue
place of arrival
visa number (I'm guessing that this is XXX/MM/YY)
your passport number
your profession
valid for (6 months)
length of stay (6 months)
fee

the white strip at the bottom is for the office stamp and a signature.

I hope this information is useful/interesting.

I picked up my visa on a Friday, so they are NOT closed on Friday. I don't know what happens over eid al-fitr.