Any Canadians manage to get a second passport?

Just wondering if any Canadians have been successful in getting a second passport?  It seems the Brits and some euros are able to get them.  Having the second passport would make visa renewals much easier....

All I could get from the Canadian Embassy here in Tripoli is that they only offer it in extreme cases (usually for travel to Israel or Arab states).

I have heard rumors that they will issue you a second one if you have booked a ticket into Israel.  I know of someone who claims to have booked a fully refundable ticket quite far in advance, applied for the second passport and then cancelled the ticket and got his refund once the passport was obtained.   

A bit extreme if you ask me but hey, to each his own.

Thanks Lauriloo.

I filed an inquiery with Passport Canada to find out more, but I think what you wrote is the only way.

Do let us know what you find out.  Would be interested to hear what the government's "official" answer is to this question.

I don't see how that will help with respect to Libyan visa renewals or exit/re-entry issues.

The company I work for does not like to do residency.  Instead they do 6 month multiple entry visas.  To obtain another 6 moth visa I can't just head to Tunisia or Malta instead I have to do it in Europe or Canada.  I think London has the fastest turnaround.  My company will only allow a few days of company time for visa renewal, so I need to use vacation days if I renew.  If I have two passports, I can drop off my application at a Libyan embassy, travel back to Libya and continue to work.  A couple weeks later, I can go and pick up the new visa.

So having two passports lets me avoid burning vacation days in London or Amsterdam or Ottawa.  I get the impression that a bunch of people do this.

The response for the passport office was swift.  It looks like you can get a second temporary passport, but it doesn't look like it will be a useful route to take.

Thank you for your message of October 14, 2009.

Normally, a Canadian citizen may be issued only one passport at a time. Where circumstances warrant and where the need is documented, the issuance of an additional passport may be considered.

While we cannot authorize two valid passports at once for the same person, an interim passport for use when the full validity passport is inaccessible could be issued. An interim passport is valid only for the time required to complete a trip. It is cancelled upon return but could be returned to the nearest Passport Canada office or to a Canadian government office abroad for future use should a similar situation occur.

To obtain an interim passport, you must complete a passport application form in full and submit it with your original evidence of Canadian citizenship, two photographs, a document to support your identity and the appropriate fee. The instructions on the form should be carefully followed to avoid delays in processing the application.

You must also either submit a receipt from the embassy which is in possession of the passport;

OR

Complete Form PPTC 203, Statutory Declaration Concerning a Lost, Stolen, Inaccessible or Destroyed Canadian Passport or Travel Document.

The Form PPTC 203 must be signed before a Commissioner for Oaths, Notary Public, Justice of the Peace or other official who is qualified to administer the oath.

A letter from your employer will also be required to justify the need for an interim passport.

Please note that the interim passport will be valid for the minimum period of time required.

The interim passport must be returned to the nearest Canadian government office upon completion of the trip for which it was issued.

You may download the passport application and the Form PPTC 203 on our website at http://www.pptc.gc.ca/cdn/form.aspx?lan … ernational

Please note that these forms are also available from any Canadian government office.

Canadian citizens residing outside Canada should apply for passport facilities at the Canadian government office nearest their place of residence. Therefore, we suggest that you contact the nearest Canadian government representative at the following address:

http://www.international.gc.ca/ciw-cdm/ … x?lang=eng

Please note that you may submit a request for an interim passport in the country where the passport you currently hold will be inaccessible.

If you reside outside Canada and the United States, Passport Canada's goal is to process a fully completed application in 15 working days from the time the application and all required and acceptable documentation or information are received.

We hope we were able to assist you. Do not hesitate to write again if you have other questions related to the Canadian passport.

This is possible. I have seen it first hand. It's NOT something that is on the Canadian Gov website but what my friend did was make a case that his work travel schedule was such that it was impossible for him to get certain work visas in time and not miss work opportunities. Often times, you need to hand in your passport to the issuing consulate and during that time, you are obviously not able to travel. If this situation occurs throughout the year and you are being prevented from making work income, and you can show them your schedule, they MIGHT give you a second passport. This request was done at the counter of the passport office in Toronto. It cannot be done through the mail. I have seen these 2 passports and they have different numbers.