Desperate for visa assistance in France

I was wondering if anyone here can assist me please

I have a company who is going to help me get a visa for a short visit for business meetings.

They've said that they will issue the visa in Libya, which confuses me somewhat as I've read all the visa threads.  However, I'm not sure what type of visa they'll be getting me, just a tourist or???  At the moment I can't get a straight answer from them on that question.

They've asked me for a translation of my passport on the passport, so I had someone send it all to me via e-mail but I don't think it's right.  I think I need a stamp on a page of everything in Arabic as a friend has sent their passport page to me to show me what it's like.

The stamp that the embassy should put on my visa form is also causing issues.  The Irish Embassy in Paris is trying to talk to the Libyan Embassy as they've never heard of this.

Can someone see a way through all of this please?  I'm hoping to fly on 11th December & time is against me. 

Does anyone know of a translator with the correct stamp to put all that's necessary in my passport as my friend has IN FRANCE?

Thanks

It sounds like you will just be needing a tourist visa and I assume that is what they will be getting for you.  For a tourist visa issued on arrival you will be given a piece of paper with all of the details and the visa will be issued at Libyan immigration, (Libyan officials will disappear with your passport for half an hour - unnerving but totally normal).

You need the Arabic translation written directly into a page in your passport - no attached pages, etc.

As for the stamp I am not 100% sure what you mean. 

A good resource for general info is http://www.temehu.com/Visa-Invitation-L … -Libya.htm.

Hope that helps a wee bit.

Welcome to Libyan nonsense - this is all part of the initiation process you see.  If you can make it through this, you may just have the necessary patience to live here ;).

Thanks for that, it's calmed me a little & made me realise I'm possibly making a mountain out of a molehill.

Essentially I need to find an approved Arabic translator who can provide a stamp of authenticity together with a handwritten translation of my details on a page in my passport.  Then the clients will send me my invitation letter to present at immigration on arrival.

Think I've got that straight!  Thanks again - if you see a massive flaw in my way of thinking, do let me know!

Sounds like you've got it figured out perfectly.  I have had arrangements made in 3 days before so I imagine you'll be just fine.  Good luck!

Contact the Libyan embassy and ask them to recommend their approved translator, it may cost you a little extra money but it will ensure that there are no translation related hassles later on.

Some of the Libyan embassies don't tell you who is approved (Ottawa told me over the phone that no one was approved).

A safe bet is generally an Arab chamber of commerce (there's one in France).  I've also seen a few people get in with translations made by Arabic professors.  Just make sure whoever does it puts some sort of official looking stamp on it and you should be good to go.

laurieloo82 wrote:

Sounds like you've got it figured out perfectly.  I have had arrangements made in 3 days before so I imagine you'll be just fine.  Good luck!

I'm always weary when I hear "last minute was fine" in Libya. 

Some people at some companies tell me visas are no problem, but at other companies things move slower.  It really comes down to "who" your visa person knows or whether your visa person makes an "acceleration payment".

Thanks to you all I have an appointment tomorrow with a 'certified' lady who will put all the stamps, bells & whistles in my passport!  Not sure what it will cost but living 9hrs from Paris it'll be a lot easier!!!

Well thanks again!

Spent 7hrs waiting for the only person in this region (who is also 120km from me) to get through a deportation case despite having an appointment at 11.30am.

BUT, I have a translation, stuck into my passport, she's done several for Libyan visas & it's got her stamp on it!

Almost there!  Hope to be in Libya shortly!

Thanks so much again!

Got a PANIC attack here having read another thread (Canadian one).

My passport has been scanned & sent to my contact in Libya who is going through the visa process for me.  I'm due to fly in 9 days, I live 9hrs or so from the Libyan Embassy.

Please don't tell me I need to go to the Embassy too?  Or send my passport in the post to them?  From what I read on this thread the details would be sent to me & it would be arranged on landing.

For a tourist visa issued on arrival you will be given a piece of paper with all of the details and the visa will be issued at Libyan immigration, (Libyan officials will disappear with your passport for half an hour - unnerving but totally normal).

I am right, aren't I?  I don't have time for this to go wrong now & meetings have been arranged, the ticket is non-refundable - eeek!

If it's a tourist visa, the immigration sends the visa details directly to the carrier, who will have your name to check off when you go to check-in.

Otherwise you have a trip to the embassy....:(

Thanks Sandman

That's calmed me a bit, think it's time to tell my contact my actual flight details then, which he's not asked for!

We'll be rooting for you.  It is normal to be freaking out a bit but you'll soon be the one on here telling the next guy how it's going to go down when he's freaking out.  Well you'd better anyways, it's only fair... :P

It sounds as though you have done everything that is within your control which is basically making sure your passport translation is dealt with, flight booked and contact made in Libya.  The rest is out of your hands so try not to lose sleep over it.  Most people speaking of visa issues are those trying to get business/residency visas which require a bit more work/hassle/luck.  Good luck.

P.S. One more thing that you should know about coming in on a tourist visa is that it is mandatory to register with the Libyan authorities when you get here.  Your contact or the hotel you are staying in should take care of this for you.  You will get a little stamp put in your passport once you've been registered.  This can take a couple days so do it sooner than later.  You can't leave the country without it, (technically, there are no certainties here).  It is not anything to stress about, just something to be aware of to avoid hiccups later.

Great LaurieLoo, another 'hiccup'

I'm staying with expats at the moment, friends of friends.  I'm only in Libya from Friday night to Tuesday night & don't want these people (or me!) in trouble.

So do I:

a) Go to the authorities with them?
b) Get my Libyan contact to take me to the authorities?
c) Re-arrange accommodation?

Thanks, still holding breath about visa, but ticket's been scanned & sent now!!

If your Libyan contacts are worth their salt, give your passport to them and let them deal with the authorities. All they need to do is to go meet their tame policeman and get your stamp.

As with anywhere in the developing world, a white face in front of the powers that be often means that the price increases or other "problems" which require financial assistance can suddenly materialise.

Oh gosh, you are hating on me now I'd bet.  Why'd I have to go say that right?  Sorry.  Better now than at the airport on the way out though. 

I would rely on whomever it is that sponsored my visa to get this sorted, (must have been your Libyan contact I presume as expats cannot sponsor you for a visa).  Leave the expats out of it for sure.  I'd suggeset you just confirm with that contact that they will be getting that stamp done or else coming with you through immigration on the way out to grease all the necessary wheels.

OK, another spanner in the works, lack of communication on my part maybe too; I'm now off to Benghazi but don't know when or how long for, with my Libyan contact, will be great to visit another city.

Anyone know much about what's worth visiting there (if I get a chance)?

Now have to unravel myself from the tangled web I've woven!!!  Apparently will know more tomorrow from immigration ... this is turning into quite a 'trip'!