Visa Application for Johnny English

Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help me ? - been offered a contract in Libya - the agent has got the Letter of Invitation.

What's the script for a UK national ? - a trip to the embassy in London ?

- I've had conflicting reports about what I don't & don't need & even if I need go !!- but I think they need fingerprints so it's a cert.

Also - what length of visa do they issue ? - for contract length (6-12 months) ? -or do you need to repeat the cycle for every hitch ?

Cheers,

Rowan,

I'll tag my own question to this post: Is it still necessary to have one's passport translated to Arabic?

This has been posted on the Libyan Embassy website:
*** Please be informed that as of December 10th, 2010 translation of Canadian travel passports to Arabic is no longer required for entry visa applications.***

Rowan, the website of the Libyan embassy in London doesn't seem to be working well: http://www.libyan-embassy.co.uk . But they do mention "Submission of visa application Mon-Tue-Wed from 10 am to 11 am. Collection of visa the next day between 1 and 2 pm."

You may find some related info here: http://www.libyanembassy.ca . I don't guarantee the rules are the same for the UK and Canada though. There is no mention of having to go in person or having to be fingerprinted. When I applied for mine (a long long time ago) I simply mailed my application and did not provide fingerprints but I had to provide a police certificate of "good character". Rules change all the time, not sure how it works now.

This is what is needed for Canada:
EMPLOYMENT (BUSINESS VISA)
• ORIGINAL PASSPORT (MUST BE VALID FOR AT LEAST 6 MONTHS).
• TWO PHOTOS 2X2 in. (can not be more than 15 days older than the application date)
• A COPY OR REFERENCE OF THE IMMIGRATION OFFICE IN LIBYA AND/OR PASSPORT OFFICE FOR THE OIL SECTOR.
• VISA FORM DULY COMPLETED (PDF).
• A MONEY ORDER OR BANK DRAFT WITH THE AMOUNT OF $102.50 (CANADIAN OR US) DOLLARS IN THE NAME OF LIBYAN PEOPLE'S BUREAU.
• RETURN ENVELOPE WITH A WAYBILL SHOULD BE INCLUDED WITH A COURIER ACCOUNT NUMBER AND/OR CREDIT CARD FOR PAYMENT. (IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT THE ADDRESSES TO BE FILLED)

Gentleman8

I appreciate the reply -I've taken a look at the Libyan website - No the links don't seem to be working too well.

I've already had my passport translated by the Arab-British Chamber of Commerce.

I just want to be sure of the process - I've been offered a 30/30 rotation role, have the contract & the letter of invitation - but reading other posts on here... it seems that the visa is hard work !!

I'm reading on here that only monthly visas are available - so... I'm thinking is that a few days trip to London for every rotation ?

Do they do yearly visas ?

Thanks & Rgds,

Rowan,

Hi Guys,

Sorry for butting in, but being a Libyan, that had dealt with these kind of issues before, I can just clear out some things.

There are different kind of visas in Libya, but I will concentrate on the 4 that might be of interest to you.

1- business visa ( 1, 3, 6 months validity - can be single of multiple entries)depending on the application the company submitted at the Libyan Immigration office, this is usually takes 2 to 4 weeks to be sent in a telex or fax form to the Libyan embassy, where you should be able to collected within 1 working day, I would suggest you take an arab speaking person with you, since the visa usually is in arabic, you won't be able to read if the information in it are correct.

2- work visa ( 30 days validity)
this kind of visa is the only one that allows you to actually be employed in Libya, it serves as an entry ticket only, giving you the time to apply for your residence visa, this visa usually takes longer since the requirements are more and the process goes through the companies Libyan client than labor office before the Immigration Auth.

let me clear something for you, there is no such a thing called Invitation letter in the Libyan Immigration procedure, the only thing that you will receive is the Immigration approval, in a fax or telex format, with your visa number, personal details and your sponsors name in your case (the company name)which you will take to the embassy to have your visa stamped, in some cases they would require a certificate of employment which the company can easily provide you, so having that with you might help your case.

3- residence visa, this one might even take longer then the rest, I only hope you guys have an excellent and trusted Immigration Officer, because those are the ones that will determent the time taken to get your residence visa, so be ready to do alot of waiting, BTW this one will require X-rays and blood test, which you will have to do in Libya and in local medical centers.

4- my favorite visa THE EXIT/ REENTRY visa (takes from 3 to 7 days to be issued and valid 1 month for the single ex/re, and 3 or 6 months for the Multi ex/re) Libya is one of those countries where you need a visa to get in and an other to get out !!

all the above might change at any time, nothing can be predicted, and there is still alot more if you wanna look it to it.

hope that was helpful.

cheers,

MB

The best deal for you as you can see from Munita massage is work visa, changed later to residence visa with multiple 6 months re-entry visa, but this deal isn't easy to get.

They may be trying to get you business visas. But as I noted elsewhere they do not get through now.

My advice. Push them to sign a contract starting from the date convenient for you and put all the risk for visa issues on them.

Mr Bean wrote:

Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help me ? - been offered a contract in Libya - the agent has got the Letter of Invitation.

What's the script for a UK national ? - a trip to the embassy in London ?

- I've had conflicting reports about what I don't & don't need & even if I need go !!- but I think they need fingerprints so it's a cert.

Also - what length of visa do they issue ? - for contract length (6-12 months) ? -or do you need to repeat the cycle for every hitch ?

Cheers,

Rowan,

I needed my letter from my company offering me the job, 3 months bank statements :rolleyes: , about 10 passport photos, and a shed load of other things that I have forgotten. You will need to get finger printed at the embassy, get there early by the way, you will see  why when you arrive.

I am here on a residence visa. I am also very envious of your 30 30 rotation :D Oh aye, I moved here from Aberdeen as well !!

You can never have too many passport photos. :rolleyes:

Hey every one,

Just so we don't get our English man confused, lets take one step at a time, first ask your company of what they have done for you, what type of visa? and how far along the process they are?

Munita wrote:

Hey every one,

Just so we don't get our English man confused, lets take one step at a time, first ask your company of what they have done for you, what type of visa? and how far along the process they are?

if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, than guess what? it is a duck !!

That won't go down well, he is Scottish :lol: A bit like calling a Libyan an Egyptian.

lo0o0o0o0l that is so mean, and I am worst, for laughing about it!!!

well I have nothing against Egyptians but I know what you mean :P, and please don't make fun of Scottish people, my favorite actor holds that nationality, and seriously he still looks hot in skirts.

http://newgeekphilosopher.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/kilt666_2.jpg

Clansman wrote:
Munita wrote:

Hey every one,

That won't go down well, he is Scottish :lol: A bit like calling a Libyan an Egyptian.

@Munita: Cant blv you havn't seen Braveheart :P

I did watch it, it was pretty good actually, obviously,Scottish had a tough history " they may take our lives but they will never take our FREEDOM !!!"

funny though it was produced and directed by an Australian!!

what does that have to do with Gerard Butler?

Munita wrote:

I did watch it, it was pretty good actually, obviously,Scottish had a tough history " they may take our lives but they will never take our FREEDOM !!!"

funny though it was produced and directed by an Australian!!

what does that have to do with Gerard Butler?

nothing! but surely a ref. to ENG - SCOTTISH love.

http://randomoverload.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/a9a2144378d-food.jpg.jpg

... please guys concentrate on the initial topic ...

lo0o0o0ool sorry Julien, we were just entertaining each other until our English man posts a reply, it was getting seriously funny, I am opening an other thread, just for fun.... hoping for the contribution of Clansman, Sandman6, enraged1 and of course the man of the hour Mr. Bean lol

Not sure if you had the original question answered mate

Yes you can get a 12 month residency visa and yes you can get a 12 month multiple exit/entry visa for Libya

Bring about 30 passport photos and a new 60 page passport, get this done in the UK before you leave

the single v multiple exit/entry depends on is your company has paid all its taxes

the residency visa wont be a problem, you can stay as long as your company wants you

My advice would be to not worry too much as you will at least get a single exit/entry for your 30 day rotation

you can PM me and we can discuss on the phone if you like as  it is very hard to understand all the details but bearing in mind your nationality and the British Embassy here you are in a v.strong position

I think Mr. Bean, decided to go somewhere else? or maybe he is already in Libya, in the desert with no Internet connection :P
or an other option, it went back not so well and he is proving Clansman right :P jk

Or........ if you're working for a decent contracting company, they'll probably just get you to send your passport to an agent in Malta with some passport picys - and it'll come back to you in sunny Aberdeen with a nice new shiny 6 month multiple entry/exit visa in it..... job done!.

How Can I Collect A Work Permit Visa From Bangladesh For Libya

Hello saifulsami and welcome to Expat.com!

This post is dated 2011.

I invite you to start a new thread on the Libya forum with more precise questions. You should also introduce yourself. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

For the situation as of Jly 2012 in London, see: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 633#781150