Visitor visa requirements

Hi, hoping to visit DH this summer and trying to find my way around the visa requirements. Different websites list different requirements and the guy at the consulate was more interested in being able to charge me (unofficially) for arabic transcripts than in answering my questions...

So, do I first of all need a letter/invitation to get in? DH doesn't have his residency yet so does that make it impossible or is there a way around it? And do I need to bring a wad of cash in with me or has that requirement since been waived?

Also, are Arabic transcripts really a requirement - I asked the question of the guy at the consulate because it appears on some websites but not on others (perhaps more up to date), so he may have just seen me as an opportunity to make some cash.

What is DH!!!

DH = Dear Husband (on other forums at least, maybe not on here perhaps?)
:)

I have a friend who is working in a tourism agency, I will ask him what u need to do.. u may just go for a tourism visa,

I will catch up with u later

sevenseas wrote:

So, do I first of all need a letter/invitation to get in?

Difficult to come in as a spouse if OM doesn't have the right stamp. You can enter as a visitor tho. You'll probably need to go thru a travel agent unless the OM has a connection in the immigration.

Also, are Arabic transcripts really a requirement

Yep. You'll need the data page translation STAMPED into an empty page of your passport. For a resident's visa, you'll also need translations of wedding and birth certificates. They are just being arsey, cos in the real world English is just fine sir.

If you have any stamps from that very naughty country who like shooting up unarmed aid convoys, forget it.

Thanks, take it OM = Old Man? ;)

Have spoken again to the consulate - this time I was told that I have to have an Authorisation Number and a letter from DH/OM's employer. Dread to think how long that's going to take...

Will try phoning round travel agents tomorrow.

hi,

to get here within the week your best bet is a tourist visa - valid for 30days (which can be extended). you don't need arabic translation or a suitcase full of spondooli's. just get yourself in touch with a libyan tour company, they'll charge about £70 - £100 for it.

business visa will have to be taken care of by DH's company where you will need an arabic translation and to apply for it at an embassy - will take circa 2 weeks.

Thanks. I will try again tomorrow. Can anyone recommend a tour operator that they or people they know have used?

BTW, are you sure about not needing Arabic translation for a tourist visa? The company I found on the internet (Eye of Libya) say it is needed for all visas and offer a translation service via email which I am not sure about - elsewhere they say it should be a passport stamp.

Am also in touch with Arab Chamber of Commerce as they offer a translation service.

sevenseas wrote:

I am not sure about - elsewhere they say it should be a passport stamp.

Am also in touch with Arab Chamber of Commerce as they offer a translation service.

It's a translation which is stamped into your passport. A piece of paper stapled in is no good.

sevenseas wrote:

Thanks. I will try again tomorrow. Can anyone recommend a tour operator that they or people they know have used?

BTW, are you sure about not needing Arabic translation for a tourist visa? The company I found on the internet (Eye of Libya) say it is needed for all visas and offer a translation service via email which I am not sure about - elsewhere they say it should be a passport stamp.

for a tourist visa you dont require an arabic translation. however i'd probably get one just to be on the safe side. the arab british chamber of commerce do it for £30 - they are probably your best bet. plus you will require the translation to be stamped in your passport which the abcc will do though its not quite as technical as you may think, its just a stamped template with your details hand written in (this is how my translation is done and its no problem whatsoever).

libyan travel agents are easy to find though finding an efficient one is another story.

Hi, thank you again for your replies. I have a copy of Lonely Planet on order so will see what that says... have also asked DH to find out what his colleagues do. It's such a minefield!

At least I am clear on the translation/passport stamp now. :)

Just about every Libyan i have met "knows someone" or is related to "someone" that can get a tourist visa organized. When my wife came over on her tourist visa one of the guys in the office got it done through an agency here, cost about 150 LYD and 170 the second don't know why, i am sure somebody in the DH's office could do this. As stated above you will need an Arabic translation. Coming from the UK you probably do not need a wad of cash but each time my wife came through Dubai they insisted she have 1000 USD in cash even though this requirement only used to apply to Arabs nationals on tourist visa's.

The stamp and arabic translation is required.  Some have been refused entry at the airport for not having it.  Better safe than sorry!;)

I have a question, I am still waiting on my visa(letter of invite) 6 weeks now.  I am coming in as a worker I had read before that I would need to bring with me the equivalent of $1000.00 to prove I could be self supportive is that amount still correct?