Civil Services Law Oman - Please Help as this could happen to you

Hello there,

I would like to get hold of Oman Civil Services Bylaw Article 50 and 51 in particular.

I have been searching this for the last one week, but not proper result.

Question is :

I have been given furniture allowance (FA) of 3000 OMR when I joined in year 2013. Now I resigned from this job, and they want to FA back. Not the whole amount but 2000 OMR. They are now threatening me and family, that they will stop us at Airport when we fly.

I signed job contract, which is one year renewable contract. With regards to FA, they just gave it and no word after that. Now they say, there is an Article 50 & 51 which is in Arabic and it states that FA was given for 4 years and if I leave before that I would have pay back the remaining year amount.

I'm very confused as I'm not aware of any such rule and not mentioned any where on my employment contract. And more over I received clearance from Ministry stating they accepted my resignation.

Could you please help me in getting those Article 50 & 51.

Thanks
Best Regards,

Hi Shoyeb,

When your employer threatens you, it is prudent to take the threat seriously and tackle it appropriately.

Whether they do stop you and your family at the airport while you are exiting is secondary. The employer may or may not really do it. But better for you to be prepared in case of any such contingency.

If I were you, I would immediately seek the help of a local attorney. Since everything legal is in Arabic and Arabic only, for all non-Arabs / Arabic-speakers, it is an unimaginable horror. Meet a good lawyer. Explain your predicament. Let them refer to the law books and advise you accordingly.

To be frank, if you want to deal with this issue by yourself your arsenal is pretty limited, especially when you are dealing with an organisation. So better go fully armed.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info will check this with legal lads.

Regards,