Documents required for signing a lease agreement.

I was curious to know about the requirements for signing a lease agreement in Oman for an expat. Does one require a work permit or would a residence visa suffice? Is there anything else that would be required that I have not considered? I've been reading through the ROP site and this forum but have not found an answer to this.

Special Number,

I signed my agreement with Al Habib for a Govt Building .
All they needed were post dated cheques, copy of the resident card and the page of my passport with work visa.

Since I did not have the cheque, they took 2 months rent in cash and handed over the keys to me , but the agreement was executed after I handed over the cheques. ( i had signed the form but they could not enter in their system for lack of chq numbers)

Hope this helps.

Best Wishes.

IndianWanderlust!
Thanks for your reply. Is there any clause mentioning something if we are cancelling the house contract before the expiry of the contract.Is there any notice period which should be given to the owner incase we are going to leave accommodation or leave oman. :)  Can we find an accomodation without lease agreement.

special number wrote:

IndianWanderlust!
Thanks for your reply. Is there any clause mentioning something if we are cancelling the house contract before the expiry of the contract.Is there any notice period which should be given to the owner incase we are going to leave accommodation or leave oman. :)  Can we find an accomodation without lease agreement.

Hi special number,

By law, all tenants are expected to give the owners a 3-month notice period. It is mandatory. If the notice period cannot be served, then the rent for that period has to be paid in lieu.

No, without a signed agreement which must also be approved by the Muscat Municipality accommodations cannot be leased.

Thanks Mr.Sumitran.

For the sake of convenience , even if you find one without agreement (someone subletting you)...you might actually be shooting yourself in the foot !

1. When you apply for family Visa , you will need this copy of agreement .
2. Though not mandatory , for some utilities - this agreement will come handy .

As for lease break , yes there is a 3 month notice period . However, Al Habib told me , in genuine cases , they would allow me to leave earlier than 12 months period if I found them someone who would take over from me . But I need to bear the 3% cost for the new agreement to be executed with my replacement . I think this is fair deal ...afterall there can be no free lunch in life ! :)

Mr.IndianWanderlust

Appreciate your reply.

Dear Sir,

Could you tell me where I could access the real estate laws of Oman especially for leasing ? Is it available on any government websites? Kindly let me know.