Confirmation of cost of living in KL

I have received a job offer to move into KL For a temporary assignment of 6 months. I did some investigation regarding to the cost of living and would like to confirm if it is close to reality.

I am a single male, like to go out on weekends to bar and clubs, so I Imagine it makes sense to live in the city center, although the company has offices in CYBERJAYA, so if someone can tell me if it is feaseable to go there on public transportation i would appreciate it. i can cook some food on the daily basis but plan to go out in restaurants and bars on the weekends.

This are my estimates for monthly costs:

Food - 1100
Public transportation - 150
Some taxi on weekends- 350
Accomodarion - 4000 (one or two bedrom serviced appartmeent or condo In KLCC)
Utilities - 400 (water, eletricity, internet, cellphone)
Enterteiment - 500 - 700
Health Insurance - 300

Total monthly cost. 7.000

You can potentially cut the budget for accommodaton, but it will depend on your preferences for size and age of building, as well as standard of furnishing.  You need to raise your utilities budget a bit, because you are including cellphone use. A bundle with TV/Internet/Landline (standard) will cost about RM240-270 per month but that will depend what is available at the condo you live in.

Your entertainment budget depends on consumption.  With beer at RM20-25 per pint on average (Whisky about RM375 per bottle) you may want to revise that a bit. But it depends on the frequency with which you head for the bar to drown your sorrows.

Your food budget is open to question: will you eat out or at home?  An average price for a meal in a bar (associated with entertainment) is about RM30. About RM15 for a meal/drink at a Mamak stall.

Getting to Cyberjaya by train from Sentral Station is reasonably convenient, but also reasonably expensive (RM18 return trip I think). The issue will be getting from Putrajaya station where the train stops to your workplace. That is very time consuming by public transport and RM10-15 by taxi.

You need to deduct income tax from your salary first, plus any other contributory factors the employer requires.

Hi Gravitas,
Tks for the quick answer and valuable info.
I am probably cost some days and eat out others, i will add a bit to the initial estimates.
How long does it takes to go from KLCC to Putrajaya? Depending on time/cost, would it br better to life close to Cyberjaya and have a rented car?

It will take you over about 1.5 hours to get from KLCC to your workplace in Cyberjaya by train/train/taxi-bus and about 1.25 hours will be getting to Putrajaya. The problem I have noticed is that the timetables for the trains dont easily coincide with normal office hours. By road the complete journey will take about 35-55 minutes. For a 9 am start, I think it requires leaving at about 7 am just as it is getting light if using public transport.

If you want international entertainment KLCC/BB (Bukit Bintang) are good places. Living in Mont Kiara makes the travelling a bit easier by road (zero options by train etc.) but it is a family-oriented location.

I would say hire a car for about RM1300k per month or less is possible, and live in KLCC/BB, adjusting your rental to compensate for slightly higher (but more convenient) travel.

Because public transport stops rather early, it does make it difficult to move around late at night.

If you do a search on Cyberjaya on the forum you can contact people who are currently living there to see their opinions. For singles, I hear a lot of issues about being bored. The cost of housing can be a little lower in Cyberjaya itself and the buildings are often quite new constructions. If you only want entertainment at the weekend, then you may find living locally more convenient. Cyberjaya is just "quiet" and a bit sterile.

No way can you commute in 1.5 hrs on public transport to cyberjaya. My best guess based on people why tried it before getting a car is 2.5 hrs was way. 5 hrs a day in hell.

4k in city centre is low. Unless you flat share. Basic places start at 6k. I was surprised myself when I recently looked into this.

Overall you will prob spend 10-15k a month if to like to party like a normal single. Easily spend more though. Kl isn't cheap.

[Moderated :  :offtopic: ]

In my humble opinion,it would be best to instead look for a place nearer to cyberjaya which is either Subang Jaya or Sunway as it would only take you roughly 30 minutes or so to get there.
makes more sense then living in KL and travelling to work to cyberjaya as it will require more travelling time of between 45 minutes or more depending on mode of transportation.
But your accommodation budget can be halved if you are willing to share with another tenant.
On average an apartment will set you back aprox RM1500-RM2000 depending on your requirements such as fully or partially furnished. For utilities set aside around RM500 for electricity,phone (internet/phone),satelite tv (unless you apply for unifi by telekom malaysia which will cost you monthly RM200 for a phone/internet/satalite tv package. Water is free if you live in selangor and subang jaya/sunway is in Selangor.

As for food, in subang jaya and sunway you will be spoilt for choice with the availability of food from local to western.

Entertainment wise,theres also plenty of venues with good promotions going on but i think you need to revise your budget for that depending on the level of your consumption and how frequent.

My advice on transportation,look online for people who offer car pooling to cyberjaya. Public transportation does have a time limit and if you happen to be working late then your chances of catching the public transportation will be  a problem.

Tell you what,when you are coming to Malaysia,let me know and i will help you out in terms of sorting out your accommodation & mode of transportation.

I can be contacted via email [email protected] or my mobile +60166158348  (if you have whatsapp just buzz me)

All the best mate,

Miqayeel Bradley Low

Your calculation is good :) I will maybe add a bit more on utilities... Electricity and cellphones are quite expensive. 500RM/month.
Big question: is your employer paying for your income taxes (25% of yearly salary).
Good luck ;)
Ps: which part of SP are you? My sis in law is a paulista...

Wow! Cyberjaya is quite far... 40mins from the center. Not sure if it's feasible to live in KLCC area and commute everyday... Traffic is the same than SP down here, so not good. I guess you can take the KLIA in Sentral which has a stop in cyberjaya then, you will have to take a bus. Maybe you should find a place around Bangsar (nice pubs and restaurants) and conveniently located 5mins or 1 mrt stop from Sentral station, then 25mins train and then bus to your office... meaning alsmost 1 hr commuting. If you're ok with that... if KLCC area, you need to add another 20/25mins LRT transit from Sentral station.
Good luck ;)