Aussie expat needs advice on private schools for 5yo

We are considering an expat assignment in London, but want to live in a nice suburban area close to a good primary school.  My husbands work would pay for school so we are considering private schools.  Any advice on good private schools (not ridiculously posh ones), would be appreciated. 

We also want to narrow down parts of London to consider living in.  Somewhere we can get a house with a garden and close to amenities and transport (my husband will be working near London Eye).  So far friends have suggested Wimbledon and Richmond.

Let me know if you know of any good schools or areas to live in.

Welcome to Expat.com, Mortlock :)

Hello.

I am also an expat from Australia just arrived 3 weeks ago. We were originally going to stay in North London, but the wife fell in love with the village atmosphere and greenery suburban feeling of Wimbledon.

We have 2 young children (4 and 7), where work pays for our home, schooling...so found a great townhouse near Wimbledon Village (more expensive here than the heart of Wimbledon itself), and an amazing school called "The Hall School Wimbeldon". The senior school is in Wimbledon itself, whilst the junior school where our kids go to is in Putney Vale (a 5 minute drive). There is also a school bus (extra cost) if you wish. OUr relocation agent strongly suggested this school - it is a typical British school but a very good culture of being open to international families and children. The school is in no way pretentious - rather it is quite humble with a practical uniform, and right next to the awesome Wimbledon Common (a massive parkland) as its backyard. Teachers are lovely, and staff are always willing to help....only been a few weeks but the kids love it....

Happy to give you any more info if you wish on schools in or around Wimbledon as we visited pretty much all of them!!

Good luck in your search.

Thank you so much for the helpful advice.  I am really keen to find a good, but down-to-earth school.  I think we'll be comming on a home search visit next month, so I'll add this to the list.

Cheers
Katie

Hi, you can take a look at my blog at the tab for UK School
Search - it lists some good school resources. Prospect House is a cute school in that area. It is overwhelming how many schools there are in London and the surrounding areas. The best way to find the right school is just to visit them. I think we saw 9 our first trip and 3 our second trip. Good luck!

Laura, HappyHomemakerUK.blogspot.com