Hello from toronto

hello all,

I am a Canadian-Libyan (dual citizenship) but born and raised in Canada with only a handful of vacations to Libya.

I will be moving there for a year or so this coming september for some international work experience. I am quite nervous despite being exposed to Libya before.... somehow I think long term living and working will be a bit different...ha!

anywho I'm glad I found this forum for all the questions I have! lets start with this....

Do blackberry's work in libya?? BBM?? or is that a no-no?

Yes, you can make calls and receive calls too :P  So, they work if that's what you meant..

You sound more terrified than others who are 100% new to Libya and Libyans.. Come on man.. Give me abreak and be cool. You are making a big deal out of nothing. What are the questions?

haha maybe that is because I know what I'm about to deal with ;)
Just kidding but in all fairness it seems valid to be nervous (not terrified ;)) being a single 20-something female. Maybe its the memories of the cat calls in the souk or the crazy drivers but its still a move I am looking forward to very much.

In terms of blackberrys I know I can buy a sim and use it for phone calls but I was more referring to the use of internet for email access and web browsing....

I was also wondering what are some of the things you guy wish you had brought whening heading over... I know I used to always pack a bunch of things I could never find like Lays Chip and the sort... just silly things I could never find...

anyhow thanks for your response

You're a LIbyan woman and you're coming here - voluntarily?

well, I am 'Libyan' because my father just so happens to be Libyan... you guys probably know more arabic then I do at this point...

I am coming voluntarily... its a long story but I need experience for grad school...

feel sorry for Libyans with few western education hehehehe

welcome to Your country Libya , Libyan lol,

I know that there have been several single female teachers at the American school.  It's been tough for them.  One had a pretty good social life outside of school - but she has spent her whole life living as an expat, speaks Spanish, French, English and a bit of Arabic.  She was happy here.  The others struggled a bit (although one is focussed more on finishing her doctorate). 

WE are leaving after one year and we were just getting settled into a fair social life.  It's been hard to socialize with Libyans.  Easier with expats.  Language mostly. 

As a woman, I get harassed almost everytime I go out someplace without my husband and "different" from my usual orbit. In my usual orbit (food shops, fruit stands, bakery, etc) the clerks are usually very nice and helpful. We have fun with me learning new arabic words. 

But the atmosphere here is oppressive.  You'll notice that 90% of shoppers are men.  Women simply don't come out much.  I'll share more later, but now I need to prep for the movers tomorrow.

Thank you Justice4Pal.
I found that most of the harassment came at certain times of the day - like towards the evenings...

Are there any social gatherings for expats that are organized? I have a Canadian/Italian friend coming with so its going to be a very new experience for her.

ps. good luck with your move

Hey Toronto -
My husband's from Toronto/Nova Scotia.  I'm from USA. and we're moving to Calgary.

Wow! that will def be a good change of environment for you guys! I have been to calgary a few times and if you guys like skiing and much green landscapes you are in for a treat! Also its not too far from Banff and the Rocky mountains.

We once drove from Toronto all the way to the Rockies and it was Fab!

Seems like we are switching countries ;)

Hi Toronto!  I have heard from friends that they can get calls but they could not access the web with their blackberries.  One of them said that it was possible but they have yet to find exact info on how to get it to work. :rolleyes:

Lays Chips are here but there are still a few things they don't have. Or at least I have not found them. Marshmellows, blueberries, baking soda(tonnes of baking powder though), flax seed,etc...and NO Tim's.:(
Some face creams and make-up brands I cannot find, so you may want to stock up on those.

If you have family in the city, you will have extra help with finding what you are looking for.  Plus they will no doubt invite you to social gatherings.  No match making in mind I am sure!;)

The driving hasn't changed nor has the admiration from the boys, but you know about that.  I think you will notice a big change in the city.  Things are developing and slowly changing.  There are tonnes of women drivers and at the few small shopping centres here, most have security so you are not harassed.  You are brave though.

Good luck with the move! :)

Haha thanks so much BlueJay - sad news about the marshmellows! thanks you for the advice on the face cream, I completely skipped that! I know they are crazy about Max Factor and Dior there but I dont recall Clinique in the shops.

Having family will be helpful but it def has its drawbacks! hmmm Libyan social gatherings usually involves too many boring lunches and dinners with family staring at "the Canadian"-  I have yet to experience the so called "3-day weddings" I keep hearing about. A lot of my family dont speak english, and I dont speak arabic so the language barrier isnt too helpful. I've got down the " im hungry" "im tired" "how are you" etc bits down but no intellectual conversations in arabic coming from me any time soon.

I was last in Tripoli in 2008 and had noticed quite a bit of change from my prior visit in 2004. Has anyone tried that Chinese restaurant? I dont remember where it was, but it was by some cafe that we used to go to with a lot of expats - I think near a Moroccan place...?

Yeah, hopefully your bb is unlocked, otherwise, you have to unlock it first. You can get internet access using Almadar or Libyana SIM cards.
You can as well, apply for WiMax connection and get your laptop connected with a better speed.

I dont recall Clinique in the shops.

I don't think I saw it. Waiting for my amazon shipment (containing Jurlique cleanser & exfoliator). I would recommend you switch since you're still in canada--totally worth it!! Now im just praying it gets through. I still remember the nineties when customs would confiscate candy and socks if shipped from US or EU.

...with family staring at "the Canadian"

Soooo classic!!!

I have yet to experience the so called "3-day weddings"

3-day is a joke ;) Try a week in 120 degree summer. as kids it was hella fun watching older people get sun struck and pass out. but to grown ups involved it must've been a true endurance feat.

A lot of my family dont speak english, and I dont speak arabic so the language barrier isnt too helpful.

If you do speak arabic, their "expectations" of you would be higher, and their disappointment would be much more horrid when you behave in an un-Libyan way.

IMHO, your inability to speak Arabic is your best ...hmmm.. alibi. Socially, that is.
Woe, and woe, and then some more woe unto thee; sorrow, tears, devastation and death shall befall you if you attempt to persuade your "family" that you're more canadian than libyan if with arabic you do not stutter, and their tongue you fluently utter.

Hey ... welcome back ... .to Libya .... anyway ... don't be nervous ... anyway ... yes the Blackberry .. .works .. and the iPhone as well ... but u should have it unlocked ..!! thats all

MoEl I think you are right on the ball regarding "expectations" and my inability to speak arabic. At some point it will be beneficial to learn but I guess for the mean time I will continue to use my cousins as translators haha.

Can I unlock my phone in Libya or should I hit up my local china town and get it done here?
Also are there places for ladies to smoke shisha, or that a nono? I remember seeing some place at the souk mashir (sp??) but it was all men - and not to friendly looking.

Toronto wrote:

Also are there places for ladies to smoke shisha, or that a nono?

WOW!! If that's your idea of Libya, then you're in for a shock. Bring plenty of antidepressants and classical piano CDs with you (if you're not a Sinatra type) Vacationing in Libya is one thing and living and working here is entirely different thing.

You may have trouble smoking shisha in some places as many refuse to serve shisha to women.  In Libya, women smoking is really frowned upon.  I know of one old lady who does and everyone (neighbours, family etc) makes fun of her.  It is not common here, but I am sure there must be some place that would serve you.

Hee hee!  It would really get your family here going! ;)  Then your poor parents would never hear the end of it.

bluejay wrote:

Hee hee!  It would really get your family here going! ;)  Then your poor parents would never hear the end of it.

...and you'd be lynched like a medieval witch :)

hmmmm at what point did I say "that's my idea of Libya"? I'm pretty sure I simply asked a question. no?

Thanks for your ever helpful response though - I've noticed you have such a unique way of contributing to this forum.

Hey .... Toronto ..

Yes... you can unlock it here in Libya .. or it is better for you to unlock it in your local china town ... what model is it ..

And about the Shisha ... Ahah .. it's okay .. u can smoke it where ever u r .... specially in The main cafe's in Tripoli

Toronto wrote:

hmmmm at what point did I say "that's my idea of Libya"? I'm pretty sure I simply asked a question. no?

Thanks for your ever helpful response though - I've noticed you have such a unique way of contributing to this forum.

well..I confess I did wonder for a moment if my post was in a bad taste

Anyhow, I think I'll play safe rather than sorry on this one and nix the shisha in public controversy.

Bluejay it would prob get plenty of frowns from the family but I usually only see them for "play dates" and not living with ;)

Just a note on shisha:

I was at Saraya the other day with a female friend and they refused to give her shisha because, as the guy put it, "the police don't like it"... Regardless of what that means, I'd say you safer having it at home and avoid any potential drama! Or you could go to the Rixos hotel garden and give your leg away to smoke a shisha there :)

hey look what I found:

A Prtable Shisha

an agreeable way to fill up that Jimmy Choo bag indeed

LOL Hah! I now know how to enjoy hiking a volcano and smoke a shisha at the same time!

MoEl wrote:

hey look what I found:

A Prtable Shisha

an agreeable way to fill up that Jimmy Choo bag indeed

hilarious!

Lays Chips are here but there are still a few things they don't have. Or at least I have not found them. Marshmellows, blueberries, baking soda(tonnes of baking powder though), flax seed,etc...and NO Tim's.:(

FYI, you can find banking sode but you have to buy it by the kilo.  It's usually with the other fresh spices and pulses etc.    Just tell them bicarbonate "soda".    Mahari and Souk Thalat both have it -- unless it's really baking powder and I have been hoodwinked all this time!

FYI, you can find banking sode but you have to buy it by the kilo.  It's usually with the other fresh spices and pulses etc.    Just tell them bicarbonate "soda".    Mahari and Souk Thalat both have it -- unless it's really baking powder and I have been hoodwinked all this time!

Thanks for the info!  I will check it out.  :)  A good tea biscuit has to have baking soda.