Libyan marriages~ are they done on a certain day of the week, record?

Hi,
I am interested in learning alot more about Libya and the life there. I would love to have a person that I can go to with my questions on a regualr basis. Someone that is very familiar with the customs there, either a native with excellent english or a foreigners that has lived there for a long time.

My questions are:
Do Libyan weddings tend to happen on a certain day of the week?
For example, in my country, they tend to be on a saturday.
I have heard that they can last many days but is there a day they tend to start on?
Is the couple officially married at the first day of the celebration or at the last day?

Is there a record either online or kept by the government of Libyan marriages?
For example, if you want to know if someone is married, is there a way to look that up instead of just relying on what people tell you?

are the engagements recorded as well? or announced somewhere?

How often does an engagement break off and not result in marriage?
Is it rare or common for a couple to break off an engagement?

Thank you for your help,
God Bless

Hi Dua Dua,

I'm not sure i can answer all your questions but i have some answers:

yes wedding celebrations tend to last a few days, they are usually celebrated during the weekend for convenience but anyday is acceptable.

The wedding contract, which makes 2 people officially married, is called the NIkkah, it is the religious (Islamic) mariage contract and from that moment 2 people are married, whether they have started the celebrations or not. Sometimes the nikkah occurs long before the celebrations.

I think (although i'm not sure) that the only record of the Nikkah are in the mosques, with the imaam that conducted the  Nikkah. I don't think there are anything like registry office here, and even if there was, getting access to documents would be near impossible. Libya is not like the USA, things are not as smooth when it comes to paperwork.

Since engagements are not official in Islam i don't think they would be recorded anywhere, but they are announced in that some families would have some kind of announcement and celebrations.

What you need to understand is that Libya is a muslim country and weddings like many other things of everyday life are done according to Islamic Law (although some people follow the rules more or less strictly). So if you look on the internet about Nikkah, Islamic wedding celebrations you should get some answers.

For the rest i don't know maybe someone else here will answer your questions.

Thank you for your response. I am grateful.
Do you know if there are a list of mosques, like a directory?
It's difficult to search online because I don't understand Arabic.
I am looking for mosques in the Janzour area. I am unfamiliar with the layout of Tripoli but the other area I would be interested in is Hay Andulus I think.

So you don't know if engagements are broken often?
Are you Libyan?
forgive me, I am new here and I haven't figured out how to look at a person's profile or information.
thanks again.

I don't think there are directories of anything in Libya lol, when you come here you'll understand... there are no system in place here, organisation is completely lacking so i doubt you'll find a list. Best thing is to keep asking here and someone from those areas will give you some details.

I'm not Libyan but i've been living in Libya since March 2013 (not long). I know Misurata and Zawia however i don't know about Tripoli much. As for the breaking of of engagement, i really don't know.

Finally if you wish to know more about a member here, you can click on their names by the side of their posts. Clicking on website under the name of a member should take you to their blog or website.

Hope that helps.

In the US our forms of ID are our driver's license and SS card but in Libya they use their passports and family books.  Each male head of household has a family book.  When a son gets married he applies for and gets his own family book with registration for himself and his wife inside the book.  The marriage is also registered, usually in the home town tribal area of the man's family.  Libyans receive revenue money from the government based on the amount of family members they have so I know that they do keep some sort of list but how to access it is unknown to me.  Usually the bride's family will do research on the prospective husband by calling people they know (and everyone knows everyone else).  They also may call the guy's work or university professors.  The husband's family also does research on the prospective wife.  In many cases, it is the family of the man that searches for and finds a prospective bride.  The two meet and get to know each other and decide if they agree to get married.  If the wife is foreign, it is much easier to get married outside of Libya in another Muslim country and then have all the registration done in Libya afterwards.  If the husband is foreign, I have no idea what the procedure is because the family gets its "nationality" from the husband and I don't know if Libyan women have the right to register their foreign husbands.

you are so helpful.
Do you happen to know if the engagements usually last long? Like are they engaged for a week or is it typical to be engaged for a year?
Do the weddings typically happen a certain time of the year? Like in the US, June is popular as well as saturdays for the day of the week.
So if a man wants to be shady and have more than the allowed 4 wives, it won't be allowed because there is a record?
Actually, is more than one wife allowed?
I heard that Libya had a rule for only one wife per man for a time period,and then they went back and allowed up to 4 again.
Does anyone have current info?
Do you have any trusted female friends that can give me some trustworthy advice?
I don't understand they way of thinking there and I think i'm irritating alot of people, unfortunately.
My heart is good and I'm religious but.... I don't know what i'm doing wrong.

Engagements:  the husband's family comes to  the girl's family to make the offer of marriage.  The girls family will make some conditions such as the guy should have a home, a job, a car, etc.  The girl's family may accept at that point to an engagement for a limited amount of time (usually a few months) to give him time to accomplish the expectations of the girl's family.  In some cases, there are families that follow the sunnah in that they only care about if the guy is a good Muslim and he has a straight reputation...in this case the engagement and marriage would occur within a few days.  Weddings occur throughout the year and on any day but they are preferred on Tuesday - Thursday because Friday is the beginning of the weekend.  As for the more than one wife thing.....Libya is a Muslim country and men have a right to marry up to 4 wives.  Usually they will only marry one cuz the first wife will kill the husband if he thinks to do that....but it is not uncommon for a man to have more than one.  If you have questions about anyone in particular you can PM me.

WHERE ARE YOU FROM, DUA?

@adam, usa