Kuala lumpur- Living cost (savings)

I have got an offer from a company in Kuala lumpur recently.
I make RS 55,000 in India. I make a saving of Rs.30,000 every month. If I am moving to Kula lumpur how much salary should I ask for so that I can save Rs. 50,000 per month.

Note: I am moving there alone.
The company has offered me 4000/month in Malaysian Currency but they are open for negotiation.

Thanks!

If you come under professional pass entry visa, you need minimum RM 5k salary. By the way, what they have offered as your job?

I am into HR, so I will be joining as a HR Professional.
with 5000 Malaysian currency can I save 2,500 every month. what is the tax rate?

Thanks!

It is strange that a company offers you a salary that would make you an illegal worker as an employment pass cannot be applied for to immigration. The company also has to get the post approved and you to receive permission to travel to Malaysia to take up the job.  If they dont do these things, they are also breaking the law and will get fined. The salary is appallingly low. You can check out salaries here:

Salary guide - Malaysia (slow to open)

Are you sure it is not a job scam?  Have they asked you to pay any money for accommodation, processing your visa, housing, etc.

If you dont work 182 days in a calendar year the tax rate is 26% and no refund. Once you have worked 182 days in a calendar year (2015) you become tax resident and pay normal rates, which will be about 10%.

So in 2014 your take home pay will only be RM2960 per month and you will not receive a refund as it is a flat rate. For the first 182 days in 2015 your tax will be 25% (new rates come into effect in 2015). So no, you cant save RM2500 per month.  Once your tax is normalised and you are paying 10% then your take home pay will be about RM3600 (I think you will have to pay SOCSO - so lets say you take home RM3500). That would mean to save RM2500 you would need to live off RM1000 per month.  The room rental in a shared house or condo plus bills will probably be about RM500 depending on where you live.  So to live off RM500 per month is not feasible.

If you stay on you will receive a refund of the tax overpayment for 2015 in May/June 2016. So your savings process would be delayed and related to the tax refund you can secure.

Thank you so much..
It's not a scam as it is a very big company with a global presence.
I checked the Salary Guide according to which my salary should be around 5000 RM. I can talk to them and i am sure they will pay me that much.
Let me check with them.

Thanks!

Usually scammers use big company names, such as Astro to carry out their tricks. A legitimate employer wont make you pay anything to get a job (neither will the agency if one is involved).  Ha Ha, perhaps the salary offer was actually a test!!  To see if you knew anything about HR in Malaysia......

:) There is no agency involved and they are not asking for any money..I am in to HR Operations and I would be working for their global clients so my job does not require me to know the salary ranges in Malaysia..

But I understand your point and checking with them. Really thankful to you for the information you have provided.
I am going to need your help again once I hear back from them :)

Ok so here is the thing..they are not offering me accommodation/ Transport/ Medial Insurance..
It's only basic salary and mobile bill, medical card, EPF.Should I accept an offer for 5500 RM? I need to save 2500RM a month. suggestions??

Also the work location would be Raja Chulan, Kuala Lumpur..what would be the house rental near to that place for a 1 bedroom house.

Thanks!

If your current take home is 55000 in India and your new offer is 5k that means very less , you hardly save anything with this , please ask more than 8k .

Wow that was a quick RM1500 hike in salary........

Only accept if you are sure you will remain in Malaysia for 2 years until mid 2016.  If it a one year contract only, then the tax will be too high at 26/25%.

Cost of Living is 30-50% higher than India (the range is based on prices in different cities in India and I dont see where you are currently located).  So double what you spend per month now to match KL prices.  But I guess your work place is probably in Petaling Jaya or outside KL - prices are a little lower there for eating out at stalls and housing. If you are going to be located near Damansara or Mont Kiara, then prices are much higher in those quarters.

i would say that you should double ur salary in india ie. 1.1 lakhs and convert into myr ie 6000 myr.