Feedback on Offer Required-KL

Hi,

I am from India

I have got an offer for a deputation in KL. It is a 2 year contract employment. The package is 16000 RM net after taxes. While Medical insurance and visa is covered for me- I will have to take care of medical and visa processing for my 3 dependents. I have one kinder garden going kid.
How much will it cost me for a Medical Insurance for my family of 4?
How much will it cost me for visa processing for dependent visa?

I would like to find a fully furnished condo (2 bhk) for 3k RM in Brickfield - Is it possible?.
What other relocation expenses I should foresee?
Will I be in a position to cover all my expenses for 10k-12k RM including rent with a normal life style as Indians
Does the overall package look good considering I have 9-10 years experience in India (Oil & Gas/Power Sector)

In case I look for a job in KL - Is there a lot of restrictions for a job change within KL in terms employment visa availability etc?

Currently how is the job market in KL?

Any feedback will be appreciated.

The rent is low for a decent place (condo unit) as no houses in Brickfields because its an urban city area, and I doubt you would actually really want to live in Brickfields when there are so many other choices for professional expats.

Visa processing should be free as you can just do it yourself. The instructions are on the immigration website. www.imi.gov.my  You are only paying an agent to be a runner. Otherwise it will cost about RM2.5k per person.

Medical insurance in Malaysia covers hospitalization only - there are not really policies for GP visits or reimbursement of prescriptions. Lowest cover should cost under RM2.5k per year but it depends on what limits and maximums you want.

Kindergarten will also depend on type but allow about RM1500 per month for a full-time place. School starts at 3 years and can cost the same amount up to about RM3k. Again, it depends on the sort of standard you want for your child.

You can live on RM8-9k per month, but if you want to rent a car, it may be  bit more as that will cost about RM1300 per month.

All jobs are linked to a visa, so you would have to give up your visa if you wanted to move to another job. I think you may find closed doors if you try and move around in the industry here, but you can always try. A "no objection" letter is required to release you from a job and this may not always be that easy to get if the employer is displeased. There is a strong move within the O&G industry to have all jobs in Malaysia occupied by Malaysians, so that will restrict your mobility within the industry here.

The package you have been offered is not a great deal with your experience and sounds like a local salary level, but if the income tax is paid for you and its take home pay, then its OK.

Other expenses will include 2.5 times rental as a deposit plus 1st months rent paid upfront. So you need some ready cash. It does cost a bit to get established - so allow RM5k for settling in costs.

Its possible to choose at which social and economic level you want to live in Malaysia, but it sounds as if you are not aiming very high and the O&G industry tends to have people who live at much higher standards and in the expat communities (for networking and, frankly, better social life) or middle class Malaysian community.

Hi you didn't say what kind of role you do. 16k after tax can be fair or laughably low depending on the role. Although I note oil and gas is in a temp slump so any job offer is valuable as most firms are in job freezes.

With dependents and school fees and considering cost of living 16k (after tax) can be spent easily. For middle class locals this is considered low (income not salary as there isn't a salaried middle class locally in effect - apart from those with salaries plus "commissions" the latter being untaxed/not in official stats). Expats are low on the social.economic ladder these days !

Hi Nemodot,

It is a Contracts Manager role for a FPSO Oil and Gas Project. I will be there on deputation. Ha... What do you think is a good Salary to start with? I am new to this industry as well as this job location. So any insights will help.

Hi Gravitas,

Your inputs on the Visa Part for employment is worth pondering. Is there any way to circumvent this visa issue?. Guess unless the employer is too keen, things may not fall in place. I think I will understand better as I move there. Worst case is have to head back home or elsewhere and find a job. Anyways-Let me a give it a shot!

Hi considering this is your first  time you are doing this role and the current slump in recruitment it is ok then.

Work permits are tied to the job. You will have to complete your contract otherwise you get "blacklisted" unless your employer releases you of course.

Getting a job in Malaysia as a newbie is almost impossible. Once you are here a few years you will appreciate that and that contacts are everything.

Yeah... Thanks for the reply. Oil and gas - while it seems lucrative to begin with is full of up and downs. Hopefully market should stabilize in 2 years by the time I finish this contract.

Like what you had mentioned I am a newbie... Hopefully I should develop a good network and then find a job in 2 years time either in Malaysia or elsewhere.

With so many hiring freezes on at the moment, just make sure the offer is genuine, as there are a lot of job scams going on in Malaysia. If there is any suggestion that you have to pay anything up front e.g. for visa processing, accommodation on arrival, etc. just beware as that is how they work. Even large companies such as Petronas and Bumiarmarda are targeted by use of their names.

Hi Gravitas,

I will take a note of that. Thank you for cautioning me.

Even if a no-objection certificate is given at the end of the contract period - getting work permit by the new employer is difficult? Then any hopes to settle down in KL should be curtailed :/

You dont need a no objection certificate at the end of a contract period. Be a bit careful though when you sign a lease. In Malaysia, unless you insert a clause that gives you the right to give notice (also the landlord) you end up paying the entire period agreed to. In other words, you cant give notice and leave mid period unless the lease says so. A lot of people get caught out and want to leave or move, but if they do, they still have to pay the balance of the period of the lease remaining. So insert what is called a "diplomatic" clause e.g. 3 months notice and no effect on return of deposit.  Only deal with reputable large agents and not with shady backstreet people or firms to secure your deposit (or work on the 2.5 months rent as deposit being part of the monthly rental). Sad, but true.