Moving to Ecuador from Canada

Hi, everyone out there! I am hoping you can help me with some issues and would appreciate your feedback. I am returning to Calgary, Canada on Tuesday to prepare for my move here at the end of June. Yes, I realize it is not the most opportune  time to travel but circumstances dictate.
I am bringing my three small dogs and a cat and need to know what I must do in preparation. I understand vet and paperwork. To a point. Yes, I have secured accommodation that will accept my pets. WHEW!
Further, I want to then understand what difficulties I might face while in transit as I know I will have two of my animals.. on board with me and hopefully--either a traveling partner who is coming from Calgary and for a small fee --would bring my other two. Either that or my Ecuadorian friend here --also American --might be able to come to Calgary to help me. The timing however is a bit awkward for her. Will I have any serious problem in transit through the United States?
I know that I will be bringing some of my personal belongings as well--clothing--byebye winter gear--and selected books --etc. My question about all of this is whether or not it might be possible to rent a quarter of a container to bring a small load. No furniture or big pieces except of course my TV and small stereo radio/CD player.
Because I intend to re-locate--don't read --retire--here--I would especially like to know what paperwork I need now to start this process. I intend to live here as I love it and I do speak Spanish enough right now to get by. I understand from another ex pat--American--that I must do fingerprinting and criminal check up there muy pronto. I am not sure what else I might need to do right away. I would be going back to Canada likely next year at this time to sell my house--so could do more then. What does everyone think? Please know that I appreciate whatever help you can offer this remarkable young at heart woman--(wink!)

Hello,

My husband and I have just recently moved from Calgary Alberta so I thought I would reply to your post.  It is quite easy to relocate from Canada and the rules for residency have changed and change often so it is recommended that you check on the Ecuadorian government site.  You need a RCMP report not a City of Calgary Police report and you do not need fingerprinting.  You no longer require a birth certificate but I would have one with you and preferably not a plastic laminated one a paper one is best.  We obtained our Visa's by going to the Ecuadorian consulate in Burnaby BC but I would not recommend going that direction it is easier to get it here in Ecuador. 

For your pets, you will require a health certificate from your vet, you also need all up to date immunization shots complete with rabies and you require a certificate from Agriculture Canada. You can call them and they will supply your with the certificate required.  This information is also on the Ecuadorian website. When we arrived here there was a fee for animals that travelled in the airplane hold but no fee for animals in cabin with you but always check often as they are always adjusting the rules!!

You can ship you items on a pallet rather than renting a container.  We rented a 20' container because we are building a home here and shipped all new kitchen appliances, TV's etc as they are expensive in Ecuador. If it wasn't for that reason we would have opted to pallet our memorabilia rather than ship in a container as it is very expensive.  We used Sanestar International to ship our belongings and Sandra Baquero was great and made our migration movement very easy.  You can contact her at [email protected].  She is very professional and did a wonderful job for us.  You can tell her Wendy recommended her if you like.

I hope this helps you if you have any further questions I am happy to try and help you.

Barbara,youv'e raised a lot of questions requiring different knowledge i.e. animals,U.S.customs,etc.
For starters,I am a septaguenarian Canadian expat living in Manta,Ecuador, where I would argue there exists the best and most consistent weather in the country. My friends in Cuenca who have the constitutions of mountain goats might disagree. Today I am up to my armpits in verb declentions but will address some of the issues in your wish list and respond soon as possible. Like you are contemplating,I shipped roughly a quarter container of stuff to Ecuador landed in Guayalquil. Not a pretty picture.
However, one thing you will quickly learn ; everyone's experience here in dealing with such matters is different. There is little consistency in day to day affairs in any sector,and part of the charm of the country is that you will experience to some degree the thrill of pioneering.
Luego,
John Fisher

Hi, I am a German/Canadian who has been in Guayaquil since December 2013, and I love it here in the suburb of Samborondon. Ex-teacher/librarian, I am retiring here as well.  I was told in Toronto at the Ecuadorian Consulate, that I should just come here, and then apply for my Permanent Resident Visa for retirees. I would have 8 mos. to do it. I brought the Police Record with me, and my Divorce Paper. The rest [my Pension records] would  be sent by my son, since translation of said documents is preferred to be done here.  Note:  Canada does not have any kind of government agreement with Ecuador, and what is legal for Americans, is not the same for us.   I did not get the 8 mos. I was promised in Toronto, I got 3 on my first visiting visa. Then, for $235, I got another 6 mos. visa from the Ministerio. Now I am in the process of trying to find somebody legal to translate my docs.   Be prepared to spend a lot of money in the first year here. What city will you be residing in?   Most ex-pats, especially women, do not come here alone and it is always a little easier with a spouse, I guess. I wouldn't know, I came alone. First thing I learned, always get a Secure Taxi, never one just from the street.  If you want to get stuff for the kitchen, at a reasonable price, go to TIA or Hiper Market. To find out about bringing your dogs, contact the Embassies or Consulates of Canada and Equador for info, it is all very different for Americans.  Best of Luck.  We need it.  Believe me.

Hello Barbara
Sounds like you are ready for adventure in your newly adopted country: do not throw out all your winter clothes as you will need at least a couple of sweaters and a coat...gets chilly in winter when you are there ,south of the equator and at the Cuenca elevation.

Feel free to give me a holler when you return to Calgary, 403-702-8718 as I live in Woodbine area.I have traveled SA quite a bit and did spend 2 months in Ecuador last year.You probably have all the paper work necessary for your extended stay. I found that the Ottawa consulate folks were helpful in filling out the visa form (MRE)..the $200 + $30 is certainly worth the effort.

Regards

Greg

I have recently moved to Cuenca (May 14th) and have enjoyed every minute. You can view my blog at mike-in-ecuador.blogspot.ca for info on how my move went with my cat. He traveled with me in the cabin of a United flight I took from Vancouver, BC to Quito and then onto Cuenca.

He did not like the noise of the aircraft and several times tried to claw his way out of the carrying case. I did not like to have to put him through the traveling; however, now that we are here he is quite fine as if nothing bad had ever occurred. Unless you have a very relaxed cat I would suggest a good sturdy carrying case. The one I used is this:  http://www.one4pets.com/folding-round-pet-carriers/  (Large 17.50"L x 11.50"W x 11.50"H  for pets weighing up to 12lbs  (meets United's dimension requirement) - cost $82 US).

Also, it is a good idea to add an absorbent liner to the bottom of the case just in case your cat takes a pee in transit.

I had a 3.5 hour stopover in Houston and took my cat into a washroom cubicle, added some light-weight litter to a plastic container (all of which I had in my backpack) and he quite happily used it. So, in my case, the liner was not necessary.

You might even consider some medication to calm your cat in flight. I wish I had done this as he kept scratching and moving around inside the carrying case so much that I had trouble keeping the liner in place.

Medication is not recommended for animals that are traveling in the hold of the aircraft.

As to paperwork all the details are in my blog.

United has a limit of one animal per person (in-cabin) and a maximum of 4 animals per flight (in-cabin). So, book as far ahead as you can just in case. Also consider paying a bit more for your flight by purchasing extra leg room. On United flights you get an extra 4 inches between you and the seat in front of you. With an animal in a carrying case under the seat in front of you, you do not have much leg room. The extra 4 inches makes quite a difference.

If you can get into first class so much the better. Another advantage of flying first class is that your extra baggage is included in the cost.

In my case, I did not fly first class and had two over-sized, over-weight bags (90 lbs/each). United charged me $1200. This was excessive, but I wasn't in a position to argue the point. It is just part of the move. I will recoup this cost in a very short time due to the considerably lower monthly rent I will be paying (as opposed to renting in Canada).

The Criminal Record Check is absolutely imperative and must be done by the RCMP (as someone else pointed out). It must be no older than 180 days at the time you apply for your Visa. There is no need to have it authenticated by DFAIT or the provincial authority that takes care of authentication (In the US this is called Apostille). But, it must have an authorization stamp from the Ecuadorian Embassy in Canada. When you get this document to Ecuador you need to have it translated into Spanish (along with your divorce papers and your pension papers). It cost me $140 US to have just my Criminal Record Check translated and notarized. The Criminal Record is 6 pages long.

One of the first things you learn when moving to Ecuador and dealing with government agencies
is that everyones experience is different. I came four years ago. My police record was provided by the Toronto Police not the RCMP and was accepted. It was one page.
With regard to divorce certificates or death certificates you are better to enter "SINGLE" on all your document applications from the outset. Otherwise you will be obliged to provide the certification,updated and re-apostilled numerous times if you are applying for residency,drivers license,bank account,etc.

you would not believe what all happened to me, coming here from Canada.  I am just now trying to get my Permanent Resident Visa for Retirees.  In Toronto, I was told that I should apply here and have everything translated here. I have my Pension Papers, and my Police Record. Also need a letter to the Ministry applying.  I had the Police Clearance on me, when I arrived. The Ecuadorian Consulate in Toronto told me that I had 8 mos. to decide, whether I wanted to stay here and they never mentioned anything about having the Police Record authorized by them. They could have done that for me there, right there and then. But, no, that would have been the right thing to do. On my arrival 6 mos. ago, I was told, I had 2 mos. to get all my papers from Toronto. So, I applied for a temporary visa for at least 6 mos. more. That was $235. Then I noticed that my Canadian Passport would expire in May, so I needed a temporary passport $100, because the 5 year one would take too long to obtain [I did get one eventually] $200.  Then my son made sure everything was taken care of in Toronto and sent me my documents via Purolator -  the total of that venture $300. I went to the Ministerio here in Guayaquil, and they said everything was fine. I had them all translated into Spanish and notarized $150, and brought it all back to the Ministerio yesterday and they refused me.

All of a sudden, I did NOT need the Divorce Papers [$20 for translation],  but the Police Record needs to be authorized and notarized in TORONTO.  I am so distraught, I was ready to do away with myself yesterday and only my friends talked me out of it. I have been to that Ministerio seven times, spent much money on taxis, since I live near LaJoya, at times they just said "Come back another day"  -  I am so upset being treated like some criminal, I lost it there yesterday.  I am an ex-school librarian and had a clean Police Record all my life. I have the Original Paper on me which took many, many weeks to obtain in Canada.  My temporary visa will expire in August.  I am sure other people have gone through all this major hassle. I cannot deal with these robotic employees, who refuse to speak English [I know there are some, who speak it quite well]. My Spanish is not good enough yet, to get anything done there alone, so I always have to have someone local with me.  If Frustration does not kill me, and the 4 accidents I have had since I arrived, it will be a Heart Attack. I am 69 and do not have the patience to deal with this dilemma any longer. I just wanted to retire here, because it is more affordable that way to actually have a life.

Sorry, I just had to vent. I am so very depressed right now, I can't really think straight. The Translator advised me to talk to the local Canadian Consul, a nice gentleman, who might have some good advice.  I am NOT going back to Canada for ONE lousy piece of paper, which is already in my possession, only to have it authorized by that Ecuadorian Consulate there. I will try one other way to get this done, by my son in Toronto, if he is still there. Wish me luck, I have never been so down in all my life.  I was seriously considering moving to Cuenca or Machala.  But this mess has to be taken care of first.  Kind regards,  another Canadian

Ok--So get a grip. Do you know that they--people from South America and other countries have similar issues? I only say that because we are in their country or wanting to be and their culture is different. Everything including buying bathroom fixtures is a long drawn out process. I witnessed this first hand with my Ecuadorian friends. No Wal-Mart/Canadian tire whip you out the door mentality there in Ecuador or the rest of third world countries for that matter. Currently, I am in the process of re-locating there and going through the whole big issue of bringing my animals with me. Now there's a dance! I will be seeking a visa but will do that when I am there. Right now, getting into the country and settled is on my mind. The attitude I have is positive and I have been involved in doing preparations since February. I am moving there at the end of June as prepared as I am going to be for now. I spent 12 days in Cumbaya just outside Quito with marvelous new friends --an Ecuadorian lady who also lives in the U.S. and her husband. If you would like to contact her to get your feet back on the ground and stabilize--I can provide you with that. So there is no time for histrionics here my dear--get positive and deal with things as they come up. You must be strong and of resolve.

Sorry to hear about the challenges you ran into... some say the process is easy and it is not worth getting an attorney and DIY is the way to go... i chose to get an attorney... so i sit back and let a young dashing elegant Ecuadorian get things done...he speaks to them: they listen!  He actually mentioned to me that Cuenca office is not that friendly... apparently they are not all the same... it just is.. now to open a bank account they seem to also need a verified copy of income.. even though their government has just approved it..  i have now a permanent visa.. does not make sense... i wish i did two copies of the doc w the embassy... with an attorney they cannot play the games : u need this .. or now u dont...Good luck .. it can be worked out..

Amberfenton:   That is why you do your research BEFORE leaving the country. If you had taken the time to read some of the blogs of other people who had already made the move you would have had the inside story so that you could make better decisions.

Moving to another country is not a trivial matter. You MUST do your research.
Had you done this you would not be facing the challenges you currently are.

Hey, people... enough with the blame already!!  The lady needs some help... so be a little kind...

you are right it is not a trivial matter.. however when we live a long time in Canada or US.. one forgets that things are quiet different other places... with the charm of nature, the relaxed unhurried way of living.. come inconveniences...it takes a while to get accustomed...and learn to deal with it...and even more..learn the system D as they say in my native country (not US or Canada )..

after spending all the money I have already spent, getting the wrong info from the Ecuadorian Consulate in Toronto in the first place, I have little money left to spend on an attorney.  I was positive for a long time, before all this crap with the Ministerio came up. I am still trying to be positive, and do what they asked me to do. I also have some really terrific Ecuadorian friends, who seem to have the Patience of Job.  My patience is not that great any more at my age, I find I am not good at dealing with government robots. That might be to my detriment.  I almost gave up completely, when an accident left me with a spinal injury here.  Now, I am waiting to hear from my son in Toronto, who will hopefully be able to help me out once again with a document, which I actually do have in my possession, but it needs to be seen and approved by the Ecuadorian Consulate in Toronto. When I brought it to them in November, they did not do anything, no approval, nothing. No help what-so-ever and the wrong info about Visas and allowed time for visits.  I have contacted the Canadian Consulate here in Guayaquil, in the hopes that they might be able to give me some sort of advice or actual support in my quest to obtain the Permanent Resident Visa for retired people.  I don't give up easy.   I realize that things are different here, but I also think some of those government robots are playing a nasty money game.

at Mike GB:  o.k. here is what happened. I was not familiar with any ex-pat blogs, while living in Canada.  I came to Canada in 1966 and it was the easiest move I ever made [from Europe].
I traveled from Windsor to Toronto to get information regarding my move to Ecuador, directly from the Ecuadorian Consulate in Toronto.  Phone calls did not help, nobody spoke enough English. I finally saw a lady, who worked there, and she told me to go to Ecuador and I would have 8 mos. to apply for my Permanent Visa. [which was not true].  She said my son could send me all the needed documents. I took the Police Clearance with me, the Original, and the woman said it was just fine - did nothing, no stamp, no verification, nothing.  Once I received all necessary documents from my son, who lives in Toronto, I had everything translated and notarized again here. Now they want the Police Clearance to go through the hands of the woman in Toronto at the Ecuadorian Consulate. The one, who was unwilling to do the proper thing in the first place.  I am trying to stay on track, and I know, it sounds as if I am putting the blame for this Ministerio misery on other people.   I visited Guayaquil in August of 2013, stayed with a wonderful Ecuadorian couple for 10 days and loved every minute of it. We found an apartment, and the landlady said that she would keep the place for me until December 1st.  That was the reason, I left Canada so quickly, I really wanted that apartment, and it is absolutely a dream come true.  So far, no regrets  -  just the government robots, who seem to love playing god.

Well, Amber you have to abide by the requirements, no if and or buts about it.  Two years ago I received my residency and a couple of weeks before I went to apply for my cedula the requirement changed and a birth certificate was needed.  I had no choice but to return to Canada to get it as it had to be notarized, then authenticated and finally legalized by the Ecuadorian consulate.  .You have to be there in person to have it notarized by a notary. I understand and realize where you are coming from and it's no use getting depressed over it.  The employees are not robotic just because they are doing their job. Here they are very strict with the paperwork just like in Canada.  You cannot expect an  immigration employee to bypass and important requirement.  I remember when I first approached the Ecuadorian consulate in Toronto they briefed me with all the paperwork needed and that each document had to be notarized then authenticated by one of our government offices and then brought back to them to be legalized where they put their official stamp. 
So Barbara make sure you have all the paperwork in order before you make your move here.  Good luck.

Thanks  for your info--I will be returning to Canada next year to sort out my house sale--if I decide to sell it and then doing a lot of the final paperwork which I will have dealt with as much as possible before returning so there are no surprises.

Yes, I agree but no one is attaching blame. There is only a will to be helpful and you can't do this whole thing without being calm and collected. The only way to avoid feeling overwhelmed is to have enough time and information in order to make the best decisions.

@luieg:  thank you for your encouraging words,  yes, I know, I have to go by the book, or the book will be thrown at me. Here is the problem:  I do not have the money to go back to Canada, and come back here. To pay for all of the legal stuff, I have already used up a lot of my savings. To top it off, I do not have a Birth Certificate, can you imagine!!!  I was born in Danzig, the eastern part of what was once Germany, now is Poland,  February 8th, 1945. The bombs were falling, my mom having panic attacks, and  the house next door got hit, as I was being delivered by a lady cousin and an aunt. No doctor, no nurse, no minister or priest anywhere. Most people had left the city. 4 years later, as Refugees in the then West Germany, I was baptized and that was it. At 14, we wanted to travel to France and I needed a German Passport -  so the family pooled together a thousand Marks at that time, and bought me a 5 year Passport, which was renewed for another 5 years at 19. At 24, I received Canadian Citizenship and a Canadian Passport. So going to Canada for a Birth Certificate would be pointless.   So, now what?  Any great suggestions, or should I just fade into nothingness?  I am trying to hang on here.  Feel like I am drowning...

Wendy, :)
Your information is more than helpful and I so appreciate it. I did speak with Sandra--in a panic and she told me she would help me with the animals. I am running out of time and wonder if I may ask you to check from there and mention my name. I would so appreciate it and reimburse you for the calls. It's just that I am running out of time here. I thought I had arranged things but sadly--was not prepared enough. My animals have all had their rabies shots yesterday and the vet provided the health exam info. I know I need other shots but my main concern is of course bringing them with me on the same flight. I believe I can bring my cat--she will fit --and one of my dogs--I hope. It may well be that I will not be able to bring them as the rabies shot won't be in time for the 60 day limit. I had them vaccinated but the three year protection isn't up until next year and the requirement says it must be 60 days at least prior to leaving. Kind of confusing. because you have been through this --might I please ask you to provide/intervene/suggest/advise? I thank you oh so very much for any help in advance. :)
Barbara

Hey, Amber,
Other people such as myself are trying to help you. Don't get discouraged--there is always an answer when you slow down and becalm yourself. You want this all to work--right?? So stay positive and strong and reach out to those around you--either here or there where expats gather.

Amber, I had a similar problem with my birth certificate but I did have a baptism certificate and which was not acceptable to them, even my citizenship card was not acceptable and they needed an official letter from the Canadian consulate to verify this.  I am in Cuenca and had to make countless trips to the Canadian consulate who stated that my Canadian passport was sufficient proof that I am a Canadian and that the consulate could not provide me with a verification letter.  Like you I was frustrated too but I stayed calm and with a lot of patience overcame the obstacle.  As for the birth certificate I was eventually told that I could make out a statement in Spanish and get it notarized here.

Hi Barbara: thank you for the encouragement. I wish you and your pets all the best of luck and success with the travel and the stay here in Ecuador. I am basically very happy here, and have adapted well, except when it comes to dealing with documents and government places. That's when I seem to have a problem. I have some wonderful friends here, ex-pats and locals, born here, helping me as much as they are able. My best friend is coming over this evening to help me write a needed letter to "Whom It Might Concern" at the Ministerio in Spanish. That was another thing, nobody told me about the last time I went there with all of my papers.  Even if we think, we are prepared and have all the necessary documentation for our move and the Visa to stay here, there seem to always be some other incidentals they come up with, more money to dish out and more complications to deal with. One hurdle after another, and we are supposed to jump through all the hoops.   I am basically a very positive person, but this has me re-evaluating my wish to stay here. I hear that Cape Town, South Africa is a great place...  hmmmm. And Spanish is not required.  Ah, well. Such is Life.

You might want to have a lawyer skilled in all of this hep you--that would come to mind if I was experiencing as many problems as you seem to be having. Getting jerked around is no fun--for sure!!!!  Sometimes--it seems necessary to take more extreme measures--but I for one would say--GO for IT!!!!

Thank you  Louieg:  that was nice.  Thank you for your encouraging words.  I needed that.  Good thing that there is always a way, if there is a will - or something like that. If I get a chance to speak with the actual Canadian Consul himself, I will bring up the problem of not having a Birth Certificate - Canadian or otherwise.  I do have my Baptism Certificate - and after 65 years, it is kind of tattered and in German. Try and find a translator for that piece of paper will be another challenge - if they insist.  Are there any German ex-pats in Guayaquil, who can read and write and speak Spanish really well???  I cannot help feeling overwhelmed at this point. But one thing at a time. And right now, if is Lunch time for this lady.  Love the food here.   Happy with my apartment - view of Daule river. Swimming pools to be enjoyed, and a lot of nice folks.  Even have a "Novio" now, who does not speak English, but we somehow get along just fine. I guess my Spanish is improving these days.  Thanks again,  Amber

Atta girl, way to go.  You are welcome.  Once you are relaxed you can think clearly because getting depressed does not help at all.  You should check out the German consulate in Guayaquil and maybe they can help you out with the translation.  Tape the Baptism certificate together and keep it in a safe place and also make a photocopy of it.  Wishing you the best of luck.

Hi Barbara:  I totally agree with you about the Lawyer, but I cannot afford one any more. I have already spent too much of my savings to get everything done, that the Ministry had asked me to do. Now, if it is just that one last thing, and it will be about $300 - I can still handle that financially, but a Lawyer for thousands of dollars is out of the question, unless somebody would offer to help me for free.  [Right -  in my dreams, LOL]  I will give it my best shot, and that is all I can do at this point.  Why does Cape Town sound so good to me these days?  I am going to investigate that place on Google.  Thanks again for your encouragement.  Kind regards, Amber

Thank you Louieg,  you sound like one of the nicest peeps.  There is a meeting in Guayaquil on June 19th, at 6:30pm at the Wyndham Hotel downtown somewhere, and I am planning to attend  -   InterNations -  group,  leader Noelia Roldan. Fun people from literally everywhere.  Just thought, I'd kinda invite you. Lemme know, if you would like that sort of thing.

Thank you Amber for the kind invite.  I am in Cuenca and Amber, if it was here would definitely attend. I was just trying to help my fellow Canadian.  I know what I went through and if there was someway I could help out, why not.  I fell in love with Ecuador the very first day here because it is a beautiful country with very friendly people.  So try your best here first before you make your decision about Cape Town.  Word of advice.  In my experience I have learn t many expats feel the government should bend to them and if they don't get their way they tend to have a nasty attitude.  Just because it is a third world country, doesn't mean they should be disrespected.  Try always to be calm, collected and nice when dealing with them and you will be surprised at how helpful they can be towards you.  On the other hand if you show them attitude then they will make it even more difficult for you and no amount of lawyers can help you. 

Again thoroughly research about Cape Town before you venture out.  You are welcome to stay in touch if you wish offline.  My email address is: [email protected].

Hi, Mike!
I hope I took the time to thank you for all your helpful information which I should have paid more attention to--however, I am here in Cuenca and making my way. I think. :(

Hi, welcome to Ecuador!   I have been here almost 9 mos. -  3mos. visiting visa, and a 6 mos. $250 visitor`s extension visa, in order to get all my documents together, plus letters in Spanish, plus local Police Clearance Record, plus all docs. translated into Spanish, plus everything notarized back home AND here, and authorized by Ecuadorian Consulate in my home town, plus having everything sent here by Western Union, plus having a lawyer come with me to the Ministerio, so they would finally accept it ALL, and not send me away for the umpteenth time to get more documents, or have them renewed, cause they had expired in the meantime. Btw., the local Police Clearance Record cannot be more than 3 weeks old.  Now, I was told that I would hear from the Legal Dept. at the local Ministerio within 2 weeks ...   nada.  I find out, that it is normal. It could take months.  Meanwhile, I need the cedula to be able to obtain private Health Insurance, and other important things, like my own bank account, etc.      I know that patience is considered a virtue, but.........  The Ecuadorian consulate in my home town gave me a lot of bogus info.  I love it here, have friends here and I want to stay. I am very hopeful, that I will be able to.   So, how do you like it in Cuenca so far  -  I need to see that city for myself yet.  Toodles.

Hi Amber

I was told that you live in Guayaquil...Samborondon section.
I was there a few weeks ago and wonder if you save any money living there compared to Canada.

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mikking:   I live on the outskirts of Samborondon, in a gated community by the river Daule.  It is affordable, with a decent income.  Seguro taxi are not expensive. Friends take me to markets and other inexpensive places to go shopping. I do not go out at night, do to my slightly advanced age. Don't smoke or drink, eat healthy home-cooked meals and I am enjoying retirement. Do not need and lot of things, and do not WANT much any more. No car, rent is cheap [compared to Canada] and utilities are unbelievably low. So far, so good.  Using one of the two swimming pools on the ground quite often.  The only thing I find hard to do, is to cross the city-highway to get to a small outdoor Plaza, with a Pharmacy and other conveniences. The traffic moves at 80 to 100 km/h and I do not run that fast any more. I am supposed to get my permanent Visa real soon. Then I should be able to get the cedula and get some health insurance, bank account, etc. That was the biggest hurdle to happiness so far.

Amber
Just wondering why you chose Guayaquil. Of all the places I visited in Ecuador a couple of years ago, I found the only redeeming feature of Guayaquil was the marvelous malecon,Plus you can land directly there.
Otherwise, all the other features you speak of (cost of living, etc.) are readily available on the coast with beaches readily available or in the mountains (Cuenc, Otavalo, Coatacachi).

Hi Amber

We have not chosen Guayaquil yet, but we did like the Samborondon section with all the mini malls.
I also like Cuenca and Quito. We are thinking of going to Ecuador in three years when we turn 62.
I would like to go now, but my wife wants to wait.

Do you think a couple could live well on $3,000/mo including health insurance?

Thanks

Mike

why wait?  Things are not getting any cheaper in Canada. That is one reason I left.  Another was the awful weather in Ontario.   Get all the info you need, and there is a lot, and a lot you only find out about, once you get here.  Canada has no official government agreement with Ecuador, so our requirements as far as documents go, are slightly different from the USA.  Samborondon is for the wealthy, but I am a tad on the outskirts in one of the very nice, secure, gated communities. And, yes, with $3,000 per couple, you could swing it, if you are not into "living it up" too much. Cuenca is full of American Ex-pats and has a cooler climate. Quito is very high up in the mountains, surrounded by volcanoes. Sounds like a nice place, otherwise.  Guayaquil is extremely large, with 4 million peeps. Traffic in the city is chaotic, and I have no wish to drive here. Cars and appliances are expensive and I cannot drive stick-shift.  I have a beautiful apartment, 2 bdrm., 2 and half baths, LR and dining room - large, kitchen with table and two chairs, and a laundry room. Also a big patio, enclosed, with view of the river Daule - gorgeous. I pay $500 rent and $110 Condo Fees a month, which is unusually high. Further down the street even closer to Samborondon, I can rent a 3 bdrm. house for $400, condo fees incl. But no view of the river. I don't speak Spanish well enough yet, but I am trying. Not easy to learn the language at my age [nearly 70] although I speak French and German besides English. Thank goodness, I have a few really cool friends here, who have helped me along the way.  I have learned so much in these past 9 mos., it feels like I started life all over again, like I did when I came to Canada at 21.   Make sure, that when you come here, come well prepared. I did not do that right, although I came for a visit first, to see if I liked it. The Ecuadorian Consulate in Toronto gave me a lot of wrong information, so it became a real hassle here.  If you have any specific questions, lemme know. I will be happy to keep in touch.  Kind regards to both of you. Toodles

Hi,
I am here in Cuenca and quite honestly think it is a beautiful and welcoming city. When you leave the centro you really are more in the Ecuadorian neighborhoods. Yes, there are expats here --about 5000 I believe. Frankly, I think that is also a good thing as they are for the most part friendly and supportive. Cuenca is not 'full' of expats in reality. It just seems that way when you are in the centro because that is where all the restaurants and markets are.

Hi Barbara:  welcome to Ecuador. I would really like to keep in touch with you, as I am planning to visit Cuenca in the not too far of future. There is a possibility, that if I really like it there, I might move from Guayaquil to Cuenca eventually.  I know, that the climate is different and the city is smaller than this one, with its 4 million peeps. Glad you like it there. Since there are supposed to be only 10,000 Ex-Pats in all of Ecuador, I am surprised to hear that 5,000 of them have settled in Cuenca. I know there are not that many in this city, but I have met a few Ex-pats at the InterNations meeting. I have also met a German lady in my neighbourhood, from the town I grew up in as a teenager, called Hamburg.  Here is my e-mail:  [email protected].  Wishing you all the very best in your new home.

Thanks so much, Amber--I will send you an e-mail today!
Barbara

Just saying 'hi,--John. I am back from Calgary where I went for a week to collect things that were left behind when I first came to Ecuador at the end of June. Since then I have had more than my fair share of misadventures but they haven't ruined it for me here. most of my issues were in Canada--not here including said luggage left behind. Do you have any thoughts--directions on the pensioner visa and if I need to return to Canada to get it done? I am currently on my six month extension which will expire next  March and I want to get started well before that. If you can help--I would appreciate it.
Thanks so much!
Barbara

Did you bring your documents with you?

1)   Marriage / Divorce certificates
2)   Criminal Record (no more than 180 days old)
3)   Birth Certificate (long form)
4)   Proof of Canada pension

Documents 1, 3 & 4 need to be authenticated by DFAIT or a local authority and then they have to sent to the Ecuadorian consulate in Canada to be given their stamp of approval.

This all should be done while you are in Canada as it would be very difficult and expensive shipping documents around when you are here. But it might be possible.