Dogs in Ecuador

So I've been reading about bringing our bluetick into Ecuador with us and I think I've got a handle on that...for now.

Now what I want to know is how the atmosphere/culture is towards dogs. I've read sme scary stories about people throwing poisoned meat over the fences, packs of feral dogs roaming the streets, etc.

Jethro isn't a perfect dog but he's pretty good and we do our best to minimize anything he might do to put other people out (ie, barking). I'm curious to hear from other expats who have their dogs with them - what does your day look like with your dog? Can you take him with you most places? What do you do with him when you leave, either for the day or for an overnight vacay? Do you find that people are generally understanding if you're being conscientious or do they get annoyed at any little thing your dog might do that's a wee bit obnoxious?

Thanks in advance!

Hope you get a response soon.  In the Philippines dogs that misbehave often become dinner.

Hello , am an expat here but people really love dogs here than u have ever sought and I have someone who can help you with your dog in case u going for a vacation without it . And if u need a cheap hotel and clean with wifi , television , air conditioner etc contact me for help . Great times

We have had dogs poisoned but I think it was by an ex employee trying to get back at our care taker who was instrumental in the ex employees dismissal.  By in large the Ecuadorians seem to like our dogs.  There are street dogs but they don,t really run in packs often. They are to busy trying to find food. The street dogs I've encountered are a little wary of people and pose little danger.

Dogs do roam the streets at times. Not all dog owners care for their dogs as well as they should or as well as most North Americans would. Sometimes it has to do with not having the money to properly support the animal.

I had an acquaintance who was out walking his dog on a leash and he and his dog were attacked by a dog freely roaming the street. He showed me the bite marks on his ankle. His dog also suffered a bit of damage.

I was out walking in the street with an Ecuadorian friend and her dog. Two things occurred the same day.

My friend's dog took a dump near an entrance to an Ecuadorian ladies house. The woman owner of the house went ballistic even throwing the dog poop at us (she had scooped up in a plastic bag) because we did not clean up the dog's poop. We did not have anything with us to clean up the poop and I do not think it is something that Ecuadorians think about as it is quite common to see dog poop in the streets. So, it seems some people are concerned about this kind of thing and others are not. The lady may have reacted the way she did due to having experienced living conditions in North America or maybe she just wanted to pick on a gringo. Who knows.

I am not saying that people in this country should not look after their pets better than my friend does but this country is what it is and it will probably take a long time before people change their perspectives.

Latter that same day a stray dog attacked my friend's dog. I tried to kick at it to get it away from my friend's dog but it did not care. Then I grab it and hauled it away but it came back and continued the attack. I then grabbed it and threw it against a nearby car but it came back again and continued the attack. It then chased my friend's dog around the corner and we momentarily lost site of the two dogs. I ran over to the corner and saw my friend's dog sitting in front of the house and the other stray dog running away in the distance. My friend's dog suffered several punctures. He was left to heal up on his own.

I have only been here for six months and already have witnessed problems with dogs and seen the bite marks of another attack.

We have been out walking a number of times with the dog on a leash and have had several dogs roaming the street make threatening advances. None attacked like the previously mentioned event.

To be fair, these were three events that I hopefully will never see again, but they clearly do occur.

It would be nice if this country had an enforced law preventing dogs from roaming by themselves in the streets. I would also like to see all the Nacionales taking proper care of their dogs. But I do not think this is going to happen anytime soon.

Actually, I am glad I do not own a dog. But even though I don't have a dog I think I will be buying some pepper spray to have around just in case.

Most dogs do not go crazy like this unless you have a dog with you (or so it seems). I have passed many strays in the street and only one of them barked at me when I was by myself.

So, this is the kind of thing you can expect to see from time to time in this country.

Dogs situation on Ecuador is à réal problem not because they are ferocious but they need care , they are full of fleas and carry  diseases , they are starving
And it break my heart !!!
the ecuadorian  are not cruel toward dogs they just think they are a part of life and they are wild animal
They need education !! And help
The good thing us that we have a lot of poeple from Europe and and the state retiring there and I found that a lot of them want yo help with the problem
I'm moving in Ecuador next year and have dogs I and j will not walk my dog on leash !! They will stay home in my house and garden
I will organize a rescue group and a foundation
And help to reduce the dog population
And provide care , vaccination and more
If you are interested to help
Email me
[email protected]

I

DiabIeese
don't know where you are planning on settling down, but you will be happy to know that here in Cuenca, you will not need to start an organization, as they already exist. A 5 minute walk from my building is just such an organization. They do vet checks, neuter and generally care for the dogs. Every so often they have an adoption event. The dogs are all    "gussied up ", to include ribbons and bows. They are taken to different social events in hopes of adoption.
I drop food on a weekly basis, and the animals are very happy, and well cared for, although at certain times they are a tad overcrowded.
So, if you are interested in volunteering, there are plenty of existing opportunities.
Warm Regards,
ZenSPIKE

I have a friend who has been living on the coast in Bahia. He owns a dog and says that the biggest issue with owning a dog is the ticks and feas. He told me that as long as you have a good fea collar or one of the other methods it keeps them at bay.

He also said that while there are a lot of stray dogs around, they don't really present a problem because they are surprisingly tame and tend to avoid close human contact.

He said that the best thing about having a dog there is running or riding a bike along the beach with his dog. Try that onmost beaches in North America.

Sounds like your friend needs to pick up after his or her dog and show some respect for peoples property.  Just because street dogs are defecating on the street or peoples yards doesn't mean that gives your friend a pass.  Your friend will get the respect he or she shows.

Mesa Cerveza wrote:

Sounds like your friend needs to pick up after his dog and show some respect for peoples property.  Just because street dogs are defecating on the street or peoples yards doesn't mean that gives your friend a pass.  He's a guest in a foreign country.  He'll get the respect he shows.

Guest?  Could be a permanent resident.  How do you know if he picks up after his dog?

Mesa Cerveza wrote:

Sounds like your friend needs to pick up after his dog and show some respect for peoples property.  Just because street dogs are defecating on the street or peoples yards doesn't mean that gives your friend a pass.  He's a guest in a foreign country.  He'll get the respect he shows.

First off:  "He" is a "She". And "She" is an "Ecuadorian" (not "a guest in a foreign country").

I have mentioned to her that it is not the best thing to allow her dogs to poop in the street, but it is not my country and I have no right to demand anyone do anything. So go away and annoy someone else.

Comment was to MikeGB's comment.

Mesa Cerveza wrote:

Comment was to MikeGB's comment.

Yes, I know. I was the one who posted the reply to your post as well.

We have a breeding kennel with four breeds of dogs.  Someone has entered our property (a fenced hacienda) and poisoned our dogs on three occasions. The last time they got our best Japanese Chin Stud dog that I went back to the States to get..  I had about $4500. invested in him.  It was probably a former employee who was trying to get the farm manager in trouble.

I like dogs, but no one in Ecuador really knows how to cook the right these days.

Go to Korea.

As to your friend's dog taking a "dump" and she/ he/ you weren't equiped to pick it up, you demonstrated your lack of respect for your fellow man.  "Do unto others.....?"  As to the attack, get a can of wasp spra.  Good for attacking dogs and muggers...solid stream, good distance.   ;)

A pet rescue is one of our goals there also.  What city are you planning on moviung to?  We're planning on moving to Salinas.  Maybe we can join forces.  Stay i n touch.

Because she is a "native"  makes it right?  Still inconsiderate.  That's what I want, dogs crapping on my sidewalk and men pissing on my wall?  Come on, Big Guy!!!!  This isn't New Orleans during Mardis Gras..... :D

cwatral wrote:

As to your friend's dog taking a "dump" and she/ he/ you weren't equipped to pick it up, you demonstrated your lack of respect for your fellow man.

So what you are saying is that most Ecuadorians have no respect for the fellow man. I would disagree. Most Ecuadorians do not think the way you and I do. They are not North Americans.

Despite what we think is correct they have a different perspective on life whether good or bad that is the way it is here in this country. If you have trouble dealing with that you better not consider this country as a place to live.

cwatral wrote:

Because she is a "native"  makes it right?  Still inconsiderate.  That's what I want, dogs crapping on my sidewalk and men pissing on my wall?  Come on, Big Guy!!!!  This isn't New Orleans during Mardis Gras..... :D

I would agree with you that it may not be right. But you can't expect these people to change to your way of thinking. They have been living in these ways for a long time. Change will not occur over night.

My girlfriend now takes doggy bags with her when she takes her dogs out for a walk. So, I guess I made a positive change at least with one person in Ecuador. But that is just one person out of hundreds of thousands.

In the parks there are signs that state you should clean up after your dogs. That is all well and good for those that walk their dogs. But what about the dogs that roam freely? No one cleans up after them. And there are lots of them. Like I said before:  This is not North America.

At some point in the future I have no doubt that many changes will occur, one of which may be the prevention of dogs running freely in the streets. I expect that many years will pass before that becomes reality.

I plan to spend time on the coast....starting with Salinas with my borzoi. We plan to spend early mornings walking the beach..,ON LEAD OF COURSE...hope local dogs are accepting of large intact dog who is expected to sray with me.,,,he is a service dog who tends to be puppy brained when out for walks. I also wonder about grain free kibble,,,he gets half kibble and half meat and veggies

Hi, I also have a service dog & would like to take walks by the beach.

I'm wondering if you've acquired information and knowledge about the process to bring a prescribed service canine into Ecuador?

I'm hoping there are paved walkways near the beach as I use a walker with a seat due to medically-caused impaired mobility. Do walker & wheelchair - friendly paved walkways by the beach exist? Your & others replies are welcomed.

Is there accessibility in general for the mobility impaired who must rely on walkers & wheelchairs throughout Ecuador in vs outside major cities and large towns? I'm also keen to receive your reply & others replies about what they've experiences and observed.

Re wild dogs & attacks: I'd be at a disadvantage if my cocker-beagle mix and/or I were attacked by a wild dog. I think I'd rely on the recommendation to carry & use pepper or wasp spray for defense, if needed. Other suggestions are welcome.

Thank you very much,