Dog Breeds in Ecuador

I'm thinking about moving to Ecuador and do not currently own a dog, but would like to have once I arrive. How does one find dogs of specific breeds in Ecuador? Does anyone know if Australian Cattle Dogs/Australian Blue Heelers or other cattle dogs can be found in Ecuador? If not, what breeds are common?

Sadly, Petfinder.com doesn't seem to work for Ecuador :)

Hello starrbitz.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hope you'll be helped by other members soon.

Thank you,
Aurélie

You can find many breeds in Ecuador, some are more popular than others. For example, in Cuenca there's a lot of Schnauzers.

Is a matter to know who sells the breeds you want or talk to a veterinary but many people sell dogs saying they're pure breeds and they're not.

If you want I can contact you with a dog trainer who knows a lot about the ecuadorian dog market.

Vinny

Hey Starrbitz,

We're a couple of years from being expats, but we've got two cow dogs, Kitty and Harvey.  Do you know what you're getting into?  They're like furry chainsaws that never run out of gas.  We love 'em dearly, but ACDs are a LOT OF DOG.

Your screen name - like primal soup?

John

I am curious to know how easy it is to get certain breeds, how much they cost, and where to get them. So, yes please. Thanks!

vinny66 wrote:

You can find many breeds in Ecuador, some are more popular than others. For example, in Cuenca there's a lot of Schnauzers.

Is a matter to know who sells the breeds you want or talk to a veterinary but many people sell dogs saying they're pure breeds and they're not.

If you want I can contact you with a dog trainer who knows a lot about the ecuadorian dog market.

Vinny

I grew up with an ACD and I've fostered a couple... they can be a lot of work, but they are so worth it :)

LeftClique wrote:

Hey Starrbitz,

We're a couple of years from being expats, but we've got two cow dogs, Kitty and Harvey.  Do you know what you're getting into?  They're like furry chainsaws that never run out of gas.  We love 'em dearly, but ACDs are a LOT OF DOG.

Your screen name - like primal soup?

John

Chihuahuas?

I had a chihuahua and absolutely loved her sweet loving disposition. I can't wait for the answer. I am planning on moving to Ecuador in the next several months and I want to get a dog very soon.

I sure this varies according to where you are in Ecuador. In Loja, most of the dogs are of the smaller variety. I have not seen any of the cattle dogs anywhere in Ecuador. The blue heeler is one of my favorite, but I wonder if is suited to Ecuador. Space to run and burn up that herding energy is limited. I would not recommend letting your dog run free since the attitude towards dogs here is not as universally friendly as it is in North America. And, there are a lot of stray dogs that could cause trouble, although they aren't normally that aggressive. The most aggressive dogs seem to be the ones behind fences in the houses.

I do see a few labs, both black and yellow, an occasional german shepherd, and dachshunds are somewhat common, but they don't seem to be up to AKC standards from what my untrained eye can tell. I see chihuahuas often. But, one of the most common dogs I see here is a miniature poodle  that may be represented as a purebred (But, again, is not exactly AKC quality, but nice). They are around $20 to $40. A friend bought one last week and it is very cute. As with most poodles, it is quite smart and if you like small dogs, a good companion. There are a lot of vets here and even some dog grooming places. Prices and services are quite reasonable. For example, appropriate shots to bring your puppy in compliance is about $15.

Is it hard to find places to rent that allow pets?  i.e. cats and dog?

KimK wrote:

Is it hard to find places to rent that allow pets?  i.e. cats and dog?

That would probably vary considerably. But, probably not too hard, especially if the dog is smaller. I do know several people renting that have larger dogs and they found places without too much trouble. But, I am speaking specifically of Loja; I cannot say for other cities.

Thanks for your reply.

thanks

that's good to know.  I was worrying about finding a place for my two small long haired Chihuahuas (4 lbs and 6 lbs).  Everybody loves them because they wear twin outfits and are cute to begin with so I was hoping we could get them in without a problem!  they are chocolate and white, which is an unusual color for a Chihuahua anyway.  So between the color and the cuteness and the matching outfits, they are usually accepted anywhere.  My dogs would be the aggressive ones behind the fence in the back yard, though, as they are very protective of both the house and the car!  ha ha  They do lick your hand, though, if you come up to them slowly with your hand out.  If you go too quick they are afraid you are going to grab them and they start barking and carrying on.  Probably not a bad thing once we get to Ecuador!  I changed my profile pix to a pix of the two of them - Paris and Precious.