New to Singapore

Hello :) I have recently moved (been here for one month now) to Singapore with my boyfriend who is working over here. Amidst house hunting and job hunting it would be nice to meet other people in a similar situation to me. I am 24, enjoy gym, running, tennis, shopping etc. and would love to meet people of a similar age for new friendships..

Hi LRead103,

Welcome to Expat.coma and thanks for the introduction.
What are your thoughts on this first month so far?

Regards
Armand
Expat.com Team

Hello,
I'm a Cameroonian national and I'm aspiring to visit Singapore cos it's visa free to my country and wondering if I can get a job within my stay. Probably to get a visa extension or a school permit or work permit  that may help me stay in SIN.I have a high quality experience in Restaurant,Hostess and hotel reception,with an undergraduate level. Hoping to find some help in the forum and meet country mates there to be connected too.

Salle Victorine: You resurrected a six years old thread - and your post is off-topic. I recommend you post in a relevant thread, after reading discussions that are already online - looking for jobs is probably the second most discussed topic here (after visa application formalities)!
But to bring you down to realistic expectations: If you only stay for a month, you will not be able to search for a job, get hired and secure a work visa before you have to return to your home country.

OK thanks for the advice. Want to inquire if I can still go under work permit. Provided a friend get me a job and the company sends me work permit to travel with,will that be a 100%guarantee?

Work permits (WP) are for manual labourers from a number of Asian source countries only. Please read about the visa types that might apply to you, and their requirements!

My country is visa free to Sgpore. So can't a friend of mine get me a job with my docs sent online and get a work permit from the company?

As Beppi said you need to read older threads and MoM rules.

Your friend neither can offer a job Nor he can provide work visa for you. It has to be come from an employer who is willing to hire and apply work pass for you.

Work passes are in three types. One is work permit which is meant for menial works such as labourers working in various industries such as construction industry. For this job, 99.99% hired population is from Asian countries (e.g. Bangladesh, India, China, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Thailand etc) or people working as domestic helpers.

Other work passes which required semi skills to professional skills are S pass and EP work visa programs. You can read detailed information in Singapore forum or else visit MoM site.

To get a S pass (Semi skilled) or EP (you must be a professional), there are several yardsticks and criteria to qualify before your application could consider. A registered employer can apply these passes and should provide strong rationale about to hire a foreigner before MoM would consider.

On last part of your question, first check if there is a restriction is in place traveling to Singapore. Tourist visa at present is not allowed, though you can get on arrival visa here (due to your country has a visa free arrangement with Singapore) but immigration officials can deny your entry into Singapore. Due to pandemic, tourism is not opened up yet unless you are coming on business conference then check at your local authorities or reach out ICA, Singapore office if you will be allowed to visit here. Good luck

In short:
If your friend has a Singapore-registered company that is eligible to hire foreigners and first offered the job to locals for two weeks without finding a suitable candidate, then he can hire you. If you fulfill the requirements to get an S-Pass or EP (read about these!), you may get one and then work in Singapore. But your friend must actually employ you and pay you the salary (S$4500/month or more for EP).
The process of getting hired and getting the work visa takes at least 6 - 8 weeks.

Waoh! Thanks. I got all the info i wanted.

Thanks Beppi 🙏🏽. The info is very helpful. I will chose the S pass process