Get hired in Singapore

Hi

I am a quant in an investment bank.
Trying to move to Singapore, I answered a few job role request on the sites (example: financialcareers.sg...) I usually send application trough, but received no answer.

Is there anything I should specify in my CV or cover letter?
Do you have any suggestion?

kind regards

quant

Hi quant and welcome to Expat.com!

Don't forget that patience is virtue.;)

Harmonie.

It is common for Singapore employers to not reply to job applications, unless they want to invite you for an interview.

One thing to keep in mind: A job ad saying "Only Singaporeans and PR need apply" (as most ads do) means the employer doesn't want to take on the additional trouble, cost and risk to apply for your visa - or maybe the company isn't even allowed to hire foreigners. Don't waste your time applying for those!

Hi

Thx for your replies!
What really puzzles me is that not even a recruiter emailed me.

Do you think I should apply for a Worker's Visa?
Do you know any recruiter specialized in Singaporean jobs?

Or do u think I'd be better attend a course at the uni and find contacts there?

Kind Regards

Quant

Singaporean companies and recruiters get so many applications from people in other (mostly third world) countries that they won't answer them.
In addition, most employers don't pay for trips to interviews, thus won't invite non-local applicants (unless you are a rare and good fit for their requirements, or you have connections).
In my experience, the chances for an interview increase considerably if you arrange a trip beforehand (on your own cost) and write in the application "I happen to be in Singapore from/to and that would be a good chance for a personal discussion."

You cannot apply for a work visa, only an employer can.
The only exceptions to this rule are PR (Permanent Residence) and PEP (Personal Employment Pass), but the former requires employment or family ties and a certain time of residency, and the latter has become almost impossible to get.
You may want to get an EPEC (Employment Pass Eligibility Certificate), which means your background has been checked and found o.k. for employment in Singapore and thus takes some of the risk out (from a company's point of view). It also allows you to apply for a visa to stay in Singapore and look for a job for up to a year.

P.S.: Most Singapore recruiters are useless and, at best, match keywords from CV and job description.

Hi beppi

Thanks a lot for enlighting the environment.

So your recipe for succesful path is
i) apply for an EPEC visa
ii) send applications to employeers directly,
iii) get there for interviews

Any other hint, abybody?

Kind regards

Quant

EPEC is optional, but it's a good test: The criteria for EPEC (for your background) are the same as for EP, so if you don't get an EPEC you can just forget about coming here. In addition, it allows you to stay here on a long-term pass during your job search.
Whether the whole search is successful is a completely different question, which I cannot answer. It will be tough and take a long time. Good luck!

Oh, another thing: You might want to specify that you are looking for a local package, not Expat. The pay will be lower than where you are now, but Expat packages are getting very rare and reserved for special cases (it's like a lottery win if you get one).

Don't know if you've had a look, but I was looking at this article Working in Singapore which led me to this discussion. Seems pretty helpful!

I too am interested in working in Singapore, though not until mid-next year. My background is in banking/finance/insurance, but I'm still relatively fresh to the job market (1+ years of experience). I imagine I'll be working through a staffing agency, as that's what I've been doing in New Zealand and here in Australia. My question:

Has anyone not from Singapore worked through a staffing agency, and how did the process go for you? Did you have anything lined up before you arrived? How does working for an agency relate to obtaining a work visa? If you could share your story it would help illustrate the process more clearly ^_^

If by staffing agency you mean a recruitment agent (a.k.a. headhunter), there are many, most of them useless, and how the contact between you and employer was established has no implication on the work visa (the employer applies for this).

If you mean a temporary work agency (as in: they hire you and lend you to work for others), I have not heard of this in Singapore, but if it exists foreigners would not be able to work for them legally (work visa allows only work at employers location).

@ beppi

Thanks for the update. I do appreciate it, even though I'm not sure it clarifies =( I believe that I mean recruitment agency (under your definitions), although the agencies I work/worked for perform both of the functions you have described. I will follow it up with them, as several have offices in Singapore and post available positions regularly. Cheers.

hi, im getting an offer already to work in singapore,through an agency..and they want me to fly there by next week...but i still have yet to know how to go about all the processing and all..i dont want to jump right in unarmed..i got no contract yet so im not so sure  about this.
My local agency  asked for important requirements and they were in contact with a SG agency...havent paid any fee yet,though.

So far,thats whats happennig now :) and like you,im tryng to get some assistance with this site ;)

Singapore recruitment agencies are, by law, not allowed to charge the applicant, only the employing company. If they ask you to pay a fee, they are not trustworthy and you should not deal with them.
In addition, don't fly or do anything before you have a written job offer, otherwise you might get screwed. The company must apply for your work permit (WP, for low-class workers) or employment pass (EP, for degree holders). This can take a month and you are not allowed to work before this is issued. Don"t let them talk you into starting work earlier - many have been caught and sent back home without the chance of ever working in Singapore again!

Good luck!

Hi All Friends, First of all please welcome me in this forum, I am sales consultant professional with 12 years experience ,and i wish to relocate to Singapore, and very much well aware that there is cold response from recruiters, so i i will avail the PEP visa, kindly suggest me, can i work on commission basis with more then one principle??

No, you can't. You are only allowed to work full-time for one employer (at a time) and your base salary (without commission) must be above the threshold or your PEP will not be renewed once it expires.

thank you for that advance warning..will surely consider that. I was just curious coz a friend told me the SG agency would charge a fee that is 4month salary equavalent..that really made me wonder.
i will still be meeting with my own local aganecy here to clear this up.
thanks again!

should we attached the bank statement of salary drawn confirmation against PEP visa to MOM....??

secondly can a person who is already in Singapore against epec visa can apply the PEP visa during his/her stay in Singapore?

The authorities stopped issuing EPEC with effect from today (Dec. 11, 2011).
Existing EPEC holders can only get a one-time non-renewable 3 months LTVP for their job search.