If i moved to Malta from England would i have to pay for my Thyroxine

If I moved from England to Malta I get free prescriptions as I am on Thyroxine for an underactive thyroid I do not pay for any of my prescriptions in England . I am well aware Malta will have there own rules. If I have to pay for my Thyroxine could u tell me how much I would be likely to pay for yearly prescriptions. Is there a payment for 3 different prescription medications at a yearly cost. Kind regards.

Hi, I am not sure if that medication it's included on the list of the medication you can get it for free in Malta, but have a look HERE, it might answer your query.

Cheerio,
Antonio

All medicines available in Malta can be found via the following link : http://www.medicinesauthority.gov.mt/ma … slistexcel

I bring my thyroxine from France, where it costs between 1,50 and 2,50 /box of 30. In Italy, it used to cost me about the same. So even if you had to pay for it, it is really very cheap. Beware of online medicine selling websites, as you might be buying fakes.

On the other hand, I am told by several maltese friends that endocrinologists in Malta are rare and not very good. And that local GPs do not handle thyroid issues well, be it underactive or overactive.

Hi thank you for my replies regarding my medication Levothyroxine. I have found it but not a list to tell me If I would be expected to pay for it or how much medications are in Malta. It is a medication for life . For an underactive Thyroid. Is there different guide lines as per payments. We have a set price for each item in England . But due to me taking Levothyroxine I get all my medications free. But thanks for all the advice.

I believe you make an appointment at the hospital (Mater Dei). It will take several months... Once you see a doctor who acknowledges that your condition is among the list of 82 chronic diseases, he will issue a prescription for a treatment (Levothyrox, in your case) that you should  then get for free.

You'd better check this with maltese people, though, they are probably more familiar with the system. See also:
https://ehealth.gov.mt/HealthPortal/hea … ction.aspx

Thanks .

Hi, My wife has the same problem and got a months supply and cost just over 3 after getting a 6 month prescription from a GP at the clinic in Mosta, she also got a 3 month supply before we left the UK.

Hope this helps

Hi Rocking Ken . Thanks for the reply . Ok that's fine. Just trying to gather as much information that I need to know before the end of year. I so want a big life change . I think Malta is a beautiful peaceful and warmer climate than our very poor weather and work prospects on the Skegness coast Lincolnshire England.
You would nt know much about the work prospects in the hotels for either waitressing or cleaning jobs and when is the best time to find work out in Malta hotels. If u can live in the hotel that u work in ? How much the rent is out in Malta in the Buggiba or Qwara areas per week or per month as they are the quieter areas and I like these areas best. I have been visiting Malta for the last four winters and never want to come back to cold boring England. Thanks if u have any ideas for the above questions would be much appreciated. Pauline

Hi Pauline,

I believe small apartments in Qawra or Bugibba would cost you between 350-500 euros a month to rent. You may add another 120-150 for utilities.
I am not sure about the hotels, but perhaps they start hiring staff in February or March.

At the moment our company dhalia.com is looking for a Manager's assistant in our new office in Xemxija, that is close to Bugibba.

Take care,