Rasis !!

Why people from indonesia still rasis with white skin people or chinese people, chinese ethnic, buddha or christian religion??Whats wrong with us?? seems that we make big mistake in our country.. yes we from china thats right but we born in indonesia..like them too.. but why they still like want eradication of chinese people.. we help, we pay in this country.. But what we get?? DEPORTATION !!
Tell me what century right now??

I would say it is because most of them are not highly educated. I come from Timor Leste. I too experienced racism back when I was living in Jakarta. Mostly was about my race (African - Mediterranean). Do you know how much they love being fair-skinned?! It is advertised everywhere. And there was lots of other things that was advertised by the media, that I considered it racism whilst most Indonesian did not think so. I am so sorry that you are experiencing racism in the country where you were born. You and I are both Indonesians. Unfortunately, this is overlooked because of our ethnicities. Ignorance is a bliss.

Although there may be some racism in Indonesia, not everyone is like that. My wife is pure Indonesian and many of her friends are ethnic Chinese, many of them run family businesses and treat each other alike. Probably the comment is correct that educated people are less racist.

But if you compare to Malaysia where only Bumiputras (ethnic Malays) get government scholarships to study overseas, get 5% discount when buying new properties and better bank loans, then you know that Indonesians are better off. Similarly, non-bumiputras need a bumiputra partner when creating a business. As far as I know, Indonesia has less discrimination than Malaysia.

For discrimination against other religions, I wasn't aware of that. Do christians and buddhists get discriminated against in Riau?

I have never lived in Malaysia as an immigrant or as an expat, so I can neither agree nor disagree. But if we are now talking about racism comparison between two or more countries, then Denmark is even worst than Malaysia (Moderated: inappropriate comment) And some of the situations you have described about how the racism is in Malaysia, are pretty much the same here in Denmark.

Yes it's often true that minority groups are often looked down upon in many countries and racism still exists in most countries of the world today. We read about it everyday in the news. Not being a Chinese Indonesian nor being married to one I wouldn't really know how extensive it is in Indonesia. But I am quite shocked about claims of DEPORTATION.

Anyway, I thought serious racism went out with the Suharto era?

bentleymrx wrote:

No need to attack me. I live here, and I see it everyday. I read it everyday in the news. And never said "All danes".

bentleymrx wrote:

They (the danes) believe all foreigners in Denmark are taking their jobs and money away, all immigrants are criminals, and it is okay to call a dark-skinned person "Negro"..

Sorry, does that mean "the Danes"?

You did say it.
In fact, racism is a major problem in many countries, more so because some people can't see their own bigotry.
Danes are guilty of nothing, even if some Danes are.

MikeWallace77 wrote:

Anyway, I thought serious racism went out with the Suharto era?

It did not.
There are still racist/bigoted idiots in Indonesia, just as every country has some share of such twits.

I FULLY agree with you Mas Fred. Two thumbs up!

I think people should think more before they speak... (sorry, but this post makes me upset!)

mas fred wrote:
bentleymrx wrote:

They (the danes) believe all foreigners in Denmark are taking their jobs and money away, all immigrants are criminals, and it is okay to call a dark-skinned person "Negro"

You lump all Danes together as one because of the ideals of a some.
Isn't that racist?

How about:
All Jews eat babies
All Muslims are suicide bombers
All white people get drunk

In fact, I'll answer for you, you're a racist/bigot.
Anyone who lumps all of a group together, accusing them of the negative attributes of a few of that group, is a racist/bigot.

Before you accuse others, look at yourself.

mas fred wrote:

In fact, Anyone who lumps all of a group together, accusing them of the negative attributes of a few of that group, is a racist/bigot.
Before you accuse others, look at yourself.

Well said Fred.  :top:

most of abnormal people live in Indonesia, I have many frens from ethnic china but alhamdulilah we are find and good relationship. I wish the abnormal people could open mind and heart.

Remember, its not the nationality, it's the individual.

Considering that Indonesia is truly the most diverse melting pot on earth, with some 400 various ethnic groups found within its borders, I personally find Indonesia to be extremely non racist.  In my almost 16 years of full time living here, I have to honestly say that I've experienced very little outright racism as compared to my prior home, New York City environs. 

If one examines the real reason behind the periodic flare ups that happen here between various religious and/or ethnic groups, (the crisis of the late 90s for example against Chinese/Indonesians) one finds that the underlying reason is most often based on economic disparity, and not ethnic background.  Lets be honest.  In general, Chinese Indonesians have accumulated a large percentage of individual wealth in Indonesia.  Moreover, this flare up during the economic crisis of the late 90s was in no way unique.  History documents several other attempts to purge Chinese in the pastjust check your history.   

Jealousy itself can be a strong motivator, and as I see things, it is primarily that motivation which is most behind clashes which might otherwise be misunderstood as racism.  The reality is, ethnic Chinese and all Indonesian are of the same raceAsian.   

One also needs to consider that the Chinese have been an integral part of Indonesian history since the 8th or 9th century. 

Unlike foreign entities, who choose to colonize, (and here in Indonesia we can recall both the Dutch, English and briefly, the Portuguese), the Chinese preference was, and still is, economically orientated.  Moreover, unlike the colonial powers which controlled Indonesia for centuries, the Chinese left a great part of their wealth accumulation here, and didnt send it back to their home country.  The Chinese never colonized Indonesia, rather they integrated within Indonesia. 

Personally, Ive met very few Indonesians who really understand what racism is, and what sort of behavior a true racist exhibits.  The word is all too often misused here.

Sophie Fisher wrote:

Remember, its not the nationality, it's the individual.

YES, YES, YES.

Bentely, before using the send button, you should read first what you are writing here or at least think twice.

If all Danes act/behave as you mentioned and its not a safe place to live....why you are living there??

Don't tell you have no other choice since you are married to one of the Danes...

Hi everybody,

This is quite a very delicate topic here, and we prefer to close this thread.

Thanks,

Priscilla

Closed