Business Visa

Friends,

Can anyone tell me if there's any difference between the Business Visa and visa for a Business Consultant invited to work in VN for 3-6 months?

The reason I ask this is because one can get a sponsored Business Visa on arrival, arranged through a Visa agent online prior to one's visit. So, from my understanding, some organizations (?) are arranging the same for me through an agent, although I am not going to do anything for them. Am I right? Its just a formality.

On the other hand, if I am genuinely invited by some local VN company as Business Consultant, do I also get the same visa?

With a Business Visa, one can not work and earn in VN legally.

However, as a Business Consultant invited by a genuine company, will that person be able to work and get his remuneration legally for the duration of his/her service to the local company?

Are these two visas different?

I Would highly appreciate if anybody here can clarify on that.

Regards

The company that has invited you should arrange a visa for you,problem solved.

From my experience living in Vietnam...you can obtain a business visa through an agent and not actually be working for the 'sponsor'. The problem is if the 'right' Immigration agent asks you specific questions regarding such visa.  Do you lie and can you get away with it.  As well as, where is your work permit depending on how long you have been in the country. This can also be based upon the Agent, the part of the country and how luck/unlucky you may be.   
If you plan on staying in the country and working you need to be 'sponsored' by a company and they will advise you of the required documents you will need to obtain not only the 'visa' that authorizes you to be in Vietnam, but to obtain a 'work permit' to work in Vietnam. 
As to your question about a business visa...perhaps the following will answer that question:
B1: Granted to the Institute to work with the Supreme People's Procuracy, the Supreme People's Court, the ministries, ministerial-level agencies, government agencies, people's committees of provinces and cities directly under the Central Government and the Central offices of mass organizations.
- B2: Granted to the implementation of investment projects already approved by competent State licensing of Vietnam.
- B3: Granted for person(s) who come to do businesses with Vietnam Company.
- B4: Granted for person(s) who working in representative offices and branches of economic organization, culture and other professional organizations of foreign non-governmental organizations based in Vietnam.
Most of these companies are out to make a dollar and in some cases, a lot of dollars...Visas can cost between $10 and $45 at the Immigration office and several hundred if an agent gets it.  A work permit costs 400,000 vnd at the immigration office; yet I've been told upwards of 15 million vnd from some agents.  $20.00 is a far cry from $700.00 for a permit.

Anthony64 wrote:

From my experience living in Vietnam...you can obtain a business visa through an agent and not actually be working for the 'sponsor'. The problem is if the 'right' Immigration agent asks you specific questions regarding such visa.  Do you lie and can you get away with it.  As well as, where is your work permit depending on how long you have been in the country. This can also be based upon the Agent, the part of the country and how luck/unlucky you may be.   
If you plan on staying in the country and working you need to be 'sponsored' by a company and they will advise you of the required documents you will need to obtain not only the 'visa' that authorizes you to be in Vietnam, but to obtain a 'work permit' to work in Vietnam. 
As to your question about a business visa...perhaps the following will answer that question:
B1: Granted to the Institute to work with the Supreme People's Procuracy, the Supreme People's Court, the ministries, ministerial-level agencies, government agencies, people's committees of provinces and cities directly under the Central Government and the Central offices of mass organizations.
- B2: Granted to the implementation of investment projects already approved by competent State licensing of Vietnam.
- B3: Granted for person(s) who come to do businesses with Vietnam Company.
- B4: Granted for person(s) who working in representative offices and branches of economic organization, culture and other professional organizations of foreign non-governmental organizations based in Vietnam.
Most of these companies are out to make a dollar and in some cases, a lot of dollars...Visas can cost between $10 and $45 at the Immigration office and several hundred if an agent gets it.  A work permit costs 400,000 vnd at the immigration office; yet I've been told upwards of 15 million vnd from some agents.  $20.00 is a far cry from $700.00 for a permit.

@Anthony64,

First, very sorry for such a delaaayyyed reply... I really missed out your comment.

Thanks for taking time to share such detailed information. It really helps to stay aware of the different types of B-visas in Vietnam.

You are right, it would be a complete rip-off. I am aware of these agents.
I totally agree with you on the point that it hurts to tell a lie at the immigration. And why should I, anyway? I am not that kind of a person and I won't definitely want to do anything illegal in Vietnam.

After April 2014, most companies now prefer hiring "local expats"....not candidates from overseas. Do you have any idea of exactly what they mean by this 'local expat'??....

i) Is it a foreign national, currently in VN with a valid WP sponsored by another organization?
ii) Is it a foreign national, currently in VN with a Business Visa?
iii) Is it a foreign national, living in VN with 3/5 yr temporary residence card...or, on spouse visa?
iv) Is it a foreign national, physically present in VN with any kind of visa (tourist/business/work/spouse etc.) ?

Will definitely appreciate your inputs, if any. Thanks Anthony.