5 months of overstay - 2 passports - SO MANY QUESTIONS!! ^_^

Hello.

I am in quite a sticky situation and was wondering if anyone here could answer my questions...
My tourist visa expired about 5 months ago. At that time, I was supposed to exit and re-enter the country when renewing it, but I didn't have any money whatsoever to do so. Shortly after, I was kicked out of the room I was renting, and as a guarantee that I would come back to reimburse her, my landlady kept my US passport. (She even refused to give it back to me for a day, so I could have my visa renewed!) And I only just now, finally managed to pay off my debt to her, and get my passport back (YAY!)

NOW, I have 5 months of overstay to pay, and from what I've heard that it will cost me $10 for each day of overstay, which makes quite a prickly sum. And I am just getting back onto my feet after such a financial mayhem and I am far from having such an amount right this moment. How could I find the money? Any ideas?

Here is some of the information that I have managed to collect, asking around a bit. And I would like to know if these are true or not???  o.O
First of all, someone told me that if I walk into any travel agency and expose my situation to them, they will, for sure, immediately summon the cops or immigration, (or whoever it is that represents authority in this sort of situation), and they will take me to jail.
Secondly, I also heard that if I try to leave the country with my visa as is, I will be asked to pay the total amount (if not more!) on the spot, at the border. And if ever I cannot pay, I will be taken to prison.
Thirdly, someone else told me that I will be asked to leave the country while my visa renewal is being processed... but HOW could I possibly leave the country without my passport? And if this is the case, do I "need" to come back?

And LASTLY, I have a dual citizenship, so I have two passports (my 2nd passport recently expired so would need renewing, if ever I needed to use it). But several people told me that I should declare my passport as stolen or lost, and then begin putting my new visas in the 2nd passport. But I have trouble believing that the government has no trace whatsoever of my prior visas in the 1st passport. In any case, I am an honest person, and don't think that even considering this option is a good idea... but seeing as quite a few people have suggested this, now I am curious as to why?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and hopefully someone out there will be capable of enlightening me.

Regards,
-jag-

That sucks dude.

I'm no expert on this but it's highly unlikely that you'll be taken to prison if you try to leave. You'll probably just be kicked out and told never to return (on that passport). You could always try returning on your other passport and the worst they can tell you is not to come in.

You may also wanna check with the US consulate, they may be your best bet to get out of the country without causing an international incident.

Good luck either way.

I am neither US citizen nor in Vietnam but I have lost my passport once in another country. I reported it to my embassy in that country and they issued a temporary travel document to get myself home. It did not state any visa status or if I have over-stayed in that country as I recall.

Try to find out how temporary travel document (issued by US consulate in Vietnam) looks like, then ask for it.

Once you get the temporary travel document, If you do not intend to leave Vietnam, Go to Cambodia or Laos wherever it costs less. Find US consulate, get a new passport to come back.

Sorry if it sounds stupid but I guess it is worth a try.

Good luck...

Oh you got several problems uh?
"Ignorance of law is not excusable"!
As a tourist you should know the minimum basics. It's not a short term you overstayed. 5 months!!!
There is no question of 'renewal' in your case as per law. Just pay the overstay penalty and move out from country. But if you are lucky anything is possible in Vietnam. For that you need money. If you had enough money, already you can be renew the visa without overstay and pay your dues to landlord, right?  :)
Of course in this situation police can arrest you and send to jail for overstay. Deportation is not a new thing here.
First, go to immigration office and ask them in detail. May be you just need to pay  below 5 million VND if they are in the right mood. If you approach them by agents, may be they can renew your visa by paying 'extra' money  :)

hi,
u can contact or ask ideas from the agent travel company. they know any will support u good ways in this case.
or u read at this link then try to contact to know more about ur situation.
wish every be lucky
ms, mai

Vk us.a
U guys give a bad reputation to the words vk.
American and canadian nailpolisher with their big mouth when in vn..
Stop going to vn if u dont have the money

(moderated: keep that last sentence for you please)

crazybitch wrote:

Vk us.a
Stop going to vn if u dont have the money, loser.
Stay in ur poor country usa

I agree 100%. You're way too irresponsible and broke to be here.

@crazybitch, If I didn't already have two wives I'd marry you  :kiss:

Adhome01 wrote:
crazybitch wrote:

Vk us.a

Looks like you didnt read about Crazybitch,the poster is male, so maybe you would like to retract your marriage offer.

colinoscapee wrote:
Adhome01 wrote:
crazybitch wrote:

Vk us.a

Looks like you didnt read about Crazybitch,the poster is male, so maybe you would like to retract your marriage offer.

Why??  :/

Ok, so your into Norwegian guys. :par:

Can't offer any advice, but I do know they type the serial number of the visa into the system when you leave, so it's pretty obvious that they have a centralized database of visas tied to the passport number (and possibly names).

Does anyone have any info on the policy re: visa overstays?

As my experienced last january ,i was overstayed for 25 days..,and when i tried to go back to singapore..,at airport being fined.
the immigration officer asking for fined 10mills..,but after negotiated,only paid 3mills..,now came back to vn without any problem. :)

Guys, could we please concentrate on the initial topic ?

Thanks

:D Thanks for all your answers... well, those of you who did actually answer.

CharmaVietnam --> I never said that I didn't know the law, and I sure as heck am not imploring anyone 's forgiveness.
Phan Mai --> WHAT link??? o.O
drblue --> Did you already have a plane ticket to go home? And did they ask to see it?

For you others, who thought I was asking for your opinion on how I live my life, you make me laugh sitting behind your computer screens judging others when you, in fact, haven't the slightest clue what happened or who I am.
Crazybitch --> I DID have money when I arrived. And what is a vk? o.O And WHO said I was Canadian?! :O And my "home" is NOT the US anymore, thank you very much.
Adhome01 --> Trust me, I want nothing more than to go home. And yes, I am (now) broke, but on the contrary, I am extremely responsible... if only you knew.

But I couldn't care less about what you both think. You obviously don't have anything better to do than waste your time bitching about others. And I don't have anymore time for negative energy. So don't bother answering because I won't even read your posts anymore.

I am proud of your arrogant attitude even though you are in these kind of troubles  :)
Keep it up!
Actually you don't deserve anyone's help. Instead of try to blame and abuse other members, try to get out of here without hassles!

Probably the easiest thing is try to find the money to pay the fine. Can you borrow it? Get a short term job? Call your mum.

drblue --> Did you already have a plane ticket to go home? And did they ask to see it?

It happened in India a few years ago. Yes, I had a return ticket. No, I did not show the ticket to them as far as I remember. I just wrote a statement containing my personal information, details of my schedule in India, and when, where, how I lost my passport. they took a picture of me, and issued the temporary travel document within a few hours.

Well I know some countries, certainly my country, have a program to help its citizens when they are in trouble in foreign countries. i.e Korean consulate in India can lend money for airplane ticket to its citizens and collect back once he comes back home if certain information are provided correctly.

Trust me. When your Consulate finds that you are in trouble, they want you to get out of Vietnam as much as you do before you are in or(and) make a bigger problem.

Just make a visit to the Consulate, ask how they can help you. When you are in trouble in a foreign country having no one help you out, your Consulate is your best friend.

Good Luck.

your embassy will help you.  going to the local church can be of assistance too.

This guy is in trouble and just needs some advice. The abuse directed for him is nothing short of pathetic . It makes me ashamed to be a member of this forum. What is wrong with some of you , grow up !!!

I'm so sorry to hear this. Next time someone holds your passport hostage, definitely go to the consulate right away, though! Really, unless you're doing something wrong, the consulate will be your best bet in this situation. In your case, I wouldn't even make an appointment. Show up and tell them it's an emergency. They'll let you in where you can explain everything and based on what you say they will know how to proceed with you. They want you out and back home as much as you do.

some good advice there, do you have parents or close friends that can wire you the money and some to spare? under the counter cash helps in most cases. looks like your going to get fined for your forgetfullness, best bet is the consul, even if you get thrown out, pleade naievity!!  good luck, you seem a reasonable person, just a bit dumb to get into this situation

Here's an idea for you Jag, come up to Quang Ngai, get on a fishing boat, and head out to the Chinese oil rig, the VN Govt is paying everyone on each boat, 3 mil a month , ( on top of their fishing pay ), this way you can act all VN Patriotic, ( browny points ), and make some money at the same time.

bluenz wrote:

Here's an idea for you Jag, come up to Quang Ngai, get on a fishing boat, and head out to the Chinese oil rig, the VN Govt is paying everyone on each boat, 3 mil a month , ( on top of their fishing pay ), this way you can act all VN Patriotic, ( browny points ), and make some money at the same time.

!

That is frickin funny

He should of went to the embassy when she refused to give back the passport, seeing as its the property of his government.

Yes it is the government property , no one can just take it

Many people give Passport, Family Book, etc as a collateral security even though it's void  :)
I don't think she/he use force to get that.

Well at the end of the day, someone keeping your passport is a big problem.

anyone lose their way? leave a trail of bread crumbs!

Bread crumbs ? Rice would be more appropriate

What happened to the OP. Drives me crazy how people will ask for help but never give a follow-up.  :(

Adhome01 wrote:

What happened to the OP. Drives me crazy how people will ask for help but never give a follow-up.  :(

Maybe he's out on a fishing boat at the moment?

Maybe he's at home writing his next drama.

colinoscapee wrote:

Maybe he's at home writing his next drama.

I hope the next one is better. This one had a promising beginning but the ending fell flat.

Next to a Chinese looking oil rig

Many 'help seekers' consider Forum as 'curry leaf'  :)

Is that a Chinese proverb or a herb?

It's both a herb use in Ayurvedic medicines and a seasoning in curries   :)
Indian proverb.
Curry leaves are likened to shameless types who keep friends for only one purpose; just like the leaves, which add an unmistakable aroma and flavour - they are eventually discarded.