Vacation in Ho Chi Minh (advice on cabs and currency)

My husband and I, along with our two kids (ages 8 and 12), are planning a trip to Ho Chi Minh in April.  We have heard horrible things about area taxis.  I am looking for any kind of recommendations/advice regarding choosing an honest/reliable cab to take us to the hotel and then back to the airport.  Also, we usually travel with our credit cards (Capital One).  I am wondering if it is easy to use credit cards in HCMC; or, are we better off using cash?  Any other advice/information would be greatly appreciated!

Kriste

Stick to VINASUN Cabbies (white with green and red stripes). Theyr'e number in SGN is 08 38 27 27 27.
When you get out of the airport go LEFT to the end of taxi rank. Ignore all guys wanting to give you a ride. There will be a man in a Vinasun uniform by the end of the rank (maybe a line up as well) with a walkie talkie and a clipboard. Let him order you a reputable cab (he gives you name, destination and a number as well).
When you enter a cab in Vietnam make sure the meter is on and the windows are not tinted. If you still get into one than take a cab and threat with police.
But my experiences with VINASUN was always good. BTW the normal costs should be 150 to 180 000 vnd to city centre.

Happy Traveling

Mai Linh Taxi is the best. Vinasun drivers cheat tourists sometimes. i always choose Mai Linh.

Well I wouldnt trust a company which went bankrupt and sold 1000 of it  cars (which are used to scam people). It happened a lot of time the last years so even my family and all locals here only stick to Vinasun :) Trust me I'm working in tourism and we only recommend this company.

http://vietnamnews.vn/economy/234540/ma … debts.html

BTW: Only Cash in Vietnam. Main hotel chains accept CC but the best is to get dong from an atm:)

Here's the TA Link: Read through all the main topics : http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g2 … _City.html

Kriste, the other option you might consider is having the hotel you stay in send a Van to pick you up at arrivals when you get in. A group of 4 with luggage isn't going to fit into a average size cab. Might cost a few bucks but it's easier at least for your first trip into the city to get to your hotel. Any of the good hotels with a few stars will offer the service when you make reservations. Using a CC to pay for your hotel would be ok, but that would be the only place I would use it as missmae says and get your VN dong out of ATM machine is another good recommendation.

Try using Tripadvisor , there is more info on there about these matters ,than you can poke a stick at

Wow!  Thanks everyone for the great (and quick) responses!  You have provided me with some great information!

missmae wrote:

Well I wouldnt trust a company which went bankrupt and sold 1000 of it  cars (which are used to scam people). It happened a lot of time the last years so even my family and all locals here only stick to Vinasun :) Trust me I'm working in tourism and we only recommend this company.

http://vietnamnews.vn/economy/234540/ma … debts.html

BTW: Only Cash in Vietnam. Main hotel chains accept CC but the best is to get dong from an atm:)

Here's the TA Link: Read through all the main topics : http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g2 … _City.html

Bankrupt doesn't mean they're scammer. it doesn't relate to each other at all. they went bankrupt because of real estate investment. Mai Linh used to Number one Taxi company in Saigon and i always suggest it to my friends when they come to Vietnam because some of my friends complains about cheating of Vinasun Taxi drivers. if you go to Hanoi, you never can find a Vinasun Taxi.

Welcome to Saigon!
You can ask a 'Mai Linh' or 'Vinasun' taxi from the airport to your hotel. Just pay metered charge. Tip is not necessary. Note the hotline number of that taxi. Whenever you need a trip by taxi call that company and give address. About payment, almost place receive credit card. Just keep some little cash(Vietnam Dong) for small purchases when you go out.

Please be careful of fake mai linh taxi. Myself and few friends have experienced this. The meter jumped 3 times faster and the driver refused to bring us right to the doorstep of our hotel due to fear of being caught, locked the door and wanted to bring us elsewhere, i just paid the money so he let me go. The fake taxi has tinted glasses, the id of the driver was blurred, there is no green strip painted on the car. you can find more information in google :)

Yes , just take vinasun or mah linh . And ask drivers to on the meter 1st. Just in case , remember to copy down the car plate.
Ps u ll notice vinasun is white colour background & mah linh 's got white & green background as well

jason1975 wrote:

Yes , just take vinasun or mah linh . And ask drivers to on the meter 1st. Just in case , remember to copy down the car plate.
Ps u ll notice vinasun is white colour background & mah linh 's got white & green background as well

u mean MAI LINH right?

Oops , yes

. https://www.facebook.com/VinaTaxi
. http://www.vinasuntaxi.com/thong-tin-vinasun
. http://www.mailinh.vn

like everything in Vietnam, look out for fakes!
watch how the meter jumps and if you feel that you are taken for a ride, stop the taxi immediately.

I usually use Vinasun taxi, but we've had the speedy meter trick played on us by them, too.  Last time I was taking photos and just happened to take one of the driver and taxi before I got in for a trip I take twice a week. It was the cheapest ride yet... As for using credit cards or cash, most of the larger hotels take credit cards and also many restaurants. Also, many of the various day tours take them, but you can check that with most of them online in advance. You'll need cash for taxis, if you take them. And you'll need smaller bills-as in 20,000's and 50,000's.  The larger denomination bills are mind boggling to deal with at first! Depending on where you're going, a taxi around Dist 1 might cost 20-40,000 one way.  (21,000= $1usd) Of course, it all depends on how far you're going. Tipping taxis isn't necessary, but it's nice to give the driver a few thousand if that's how your change works out. There are ATM's many places that will give you VND using your debit card or credit card.  We use our debit card from a US bank and it's worked well.  There are banks with reliable ATM machines as well as secure ones (as secure as they can be) in places like the large shopping centers. Ask your hotel where to find the nearest one to where you're staying. If you use a bank ATM machine while the bank is open, inside the bank you can also get change/ smaller bills to use. The ATM's seem to mostly give out 500,000 bills. Get 100,000's, 50,000's, and 20,000's-especially if you're going to the Ben Thanh Market or are doing any shopping from street vendors.  Good luck!

My ride from the airport to cho ben thanh came to 129,000vnd.   When i find an honest driver i ask for his business card, name and fone number.   I usually have between 3-5 drivers fone numbers.   Some work 12 hours shifts or alternating 24 hours shift or available 24 hours a day.   So call each one to get the closest available to you.   Depending on the distance i usually give them a little extra.

I should have said, also, that I was talking about CC places and ATM's in Saigon. Once you get out of the city, you'll usually need cash.

Dear,
If you come to HCMC, you should stick to
-    VINASUN taxi (Hot line: 08.38 27 27 27) the best here
-    MAI LINH taxi (Hot line: 08. 38 38 38 38)
These're reliable taxis. You should pay by cash.