Driver licence for motorbike in Vietnam?

Thanks very much for everybody!
One more important qustion. Do I need to have driver licence for motorbike in Vietnam? Because I have licence only for car.Can it be problems if police asks me to show them driver licence for motorbike?What to do?I can buy it it Bangkok on Caosan Road (but it wiil fake).

makarovse wrote:

Thanks very much for everybody!
One more important qustion. Do I need to have driver licence for motorbike in Vietnam? Because I have licence only for car.Can it be problems if police asks me to show them driver licence for motorbike?What to do?I can buy it it Bangkok on Caosan Road (but it wiil fake).

You need a license to drive motorbike. It's easy for foreigners to get it since they just require you to practice driving, no need paper test so no worries :)

And can write in more detail where in Saigon to address, and that it is necessary to tell to try to hand over driving???

I have a Canadian friend who got his driving licence in VN but he's now on holiday and will come back here next week. I'll ask him for more details for you but I guess I can give you the answer only after next Saturday.

no worry it is easy to get

nicolas35 wrote:

no worry it is easy to get

Where ????

My company got mine for abt 3 million, without any test or paper work. I think you just need find the right person to do that...

It's easy enough to obtain your motorbike license here.  Just follow the steps below that apply to you :

http://sgtvt.hochiminhcity.gov.vn/web/d … /case1.htmhttp://sgtvt.hochiminhcity.gov.vn/web/d … /case2.htmhttp://sgtvt.hochiminhcity.gov.vn/web/d … /case3.htm

It's straight forward and not expensive and 100% legal :)

thanks a lot laidbackfreak! this is what i was looking for... you are an angel :P
For Case 3,
it says: "The theory test is in Vietnamese, and you are not allowed to have an interpreter or translator."
it also says, "Theory test is also called 'computer test' with 15 questions ( including traffic laws and signs tests) in 10 minutes."
does this mean that without knowing much vietnamese language, i can understand the question and answer correctly?
Does any expat has experience of sitting for the theory test?

How to get a driving licence? There are many Foreigners in VietNam, but to my knowledge few seem to have a Vietnamese motorbike or car licence.

And, the odd thing is, there seems to be no pressure on them to get one, from police or employers or society as a whole.

It is not uncommon to hear of Foreigners being deported after paying out tens of millions of dong in compensation.

Is it similar to the endless "run-around" one has to go through to get a visa extension? One would hope not.

AHowever, Foreigners in VietNam should be well-prepared when driving since you can be fined about VND200,000 (US$9.5) and have your vehicle seized temporarily without a driving licence.

All Foreigners living and working in VietNam, who are at least 18 years of age and hold a visa for at least three months, can obtain a driver's licence by completing an application form and satisfying certain requirements.

If you hold a valid international or national driver's licence to operate an automobile and motorcycle, you can obtain a similar driver licence without a test.

In the case that you are a holder of a valid international or national driver's licence eligible of operating automobiles only, you can obtain a motorcycle driver's licence after passing only the practical driving test (Figure 8). This "traded" licence has restrictions and it's duration is that of your visa

If you do not have a driver's licence of any kind, or wish to get an unrestricted VN licence, you have to pass both theory and driving tests. The theory test is in Vietnamese and you are not allowed to have an interpreter or translator. (I passed it on my fourth go with the examiner tapping the answer with his pen!)

It is a 10-minute computer-based test with 15 questions, including traffic laws and signs. If you pass both the theory and driver's tests you can get a "perpetual" licence to drive a motorcycle in VietNam.

Please note that for motorcycles, Foreigners can only get an A1 licence for motorcycles with an engine size of 50cc -175cc (traded).

Also all photocopies must be notarised by an authorised government office. Applicants must present their original passport, visa, diplomatic ID card and driving licence when the application is submitted. Also prepare some 3x4 passport photos and have your application signed and sealed by your embassy, general consulate, company or representative office.

The application will be submitted at your local department of transport. Since you are living in Ha Noi, please go for your application to 2 Phung Hung, Ha Dong District or 16 Cao Ba Quat, Ba Dinh District. The good news is that your application will be submitted at the one-stop-shop section as posted on the department's website.

Download Foreigner licence application form: Foreigner Driving Licence Application Form

In TP HCM the addresses are: 252 Ly Chinh Thang Street, Ward 9, Quan 3 or 08 Nguyen Anh Thu Street, Trung My Tay Ward, Quan 12.

NOTES
1. There is a health 'check' concentrated on the eyes - doctors at licencing office;
2. Buying a 'hot' licence? All new licences are high tech with security features and in Vietnamese and English. How do you know they are good? Have an CSGT officer check on the computer!
3. The practical test centre provides a motorcycle - manual gear - in rough condition. You have to complete two Figure 8's - one crossing over and one not. On exiting the Figure 8 you travel down a straight line. There are 'bump' cross lines where you should slow way, way down. Many people speed and fail!

Occupationally, an examiner will shout out at you as an 'emergency stop' - shortest distance without falling off.

Jaitch wrote:

In the case that you are a holder of a valid international or national driver's licence eligible of operating automobiles only, you can obtain a motorcycle driver's licence after passing only the practical driving test (Figure 8). This "traded" licence has restrictions and it's duration is that of your visa

My "traded" vietnamese automobile driver's licence has a 5 years duration (I got it without passing any test), and my motorcycle driver's licence (I got it by passing only the practical test, like you) has an unlimited duration. None of these licence were limited by the duration of my visa. It was made in 2009 in Hanoi.

Flo-vn wrote:

My "traded" vietnamese automobile driver's licence has a 5 years duration (I got it without passing any test), and my motorcycle driver's licence (I got it by passing only the practical test, like you) has an unlimited duration. None of these licence were limited by the duration of my visa. It was made in 2009 in Hanoi.

In most things cities with provincial powers get more autonomy than regular provinces. Ha Noi, Da Nang  and TP HCM really get autonomy and often have policies, although approved by National government ministries, really bend the rules largely because of their unique circumstances.

This applies to testing/licensing, too.

When I bought my 1-ton truck, which has row seats in the back for passengers, the office simply issued a new licence with the amended classes on it. There is a certain assumption that Foreigners can drive better than locals.

Like so many things in VietNam, little is cast in concrete, but generally licence duration (traded) is tied to visa/work permit duration. Perhaps the clerk was thinking of eliminating unnecessary bullsh*t.

TP HCM has eased document rules on marriage that are still enforced elsewhere! Ditto with immigration.

but generally licence duration (traded) is tied to visa/work permit duration.

No it's not. It's a five year duration (or less if the traded license runs out in the interim)

I'm on my third licence.

Halfway wrote:

No it's not. It's a five year duration (or less if the traded license runs out in the interim)

I'm on my third licence.

Good for you. Some provinces still follow the Transport Ministries rules. Bet you got yours in a major city. Or you took the full licence test (theory and Figure 8's),

They have just started pulling old licences in DakLak and issuing the ASEAN compatible ones.Harder to forge, too.

Plei Ku issues licences paralleling permits.

Jaitch wrote:
Halfway wrote:

I'm on my third licence.

Good for you. Some provinces still follow the Transport Ministries rules. Bet you got yours in a major city. Or you took the full licence test (theory and Figure 8's)

Surely if he'd taken the test, he wouldn't be on his third licence?

For the record mine wasn't tied to any visa/work permit. As when I applied for it I was on a 3 month tourist, with only 1 month left remaining. But yes I did apply for it in HCMC.
To be fair I was disappointed not to take the test. I hadn't at that stage realised they did/would transfer it. I actually wanted to do the test and will do it at some point as I have to get my A2 this year.

Regardless of if foreigners have licence and bike paperwork, the police will still "fine" you for something. I got pulled recently for supposedly infringing the car lane. My rear tyre apparently touched the white line! I'm not convinced it did given my front wheel was so far away from it, I would have been going sideways for it to happen.
I provided my paperwork much to his surprise. He then asked me for 400,000vnd I just burst out laughing and said no! Settled on 200,000, the usual amount.
Only reason I paid at all was because his English was so good. I find speaking Spanish to them usually stops them going any further.

Traded licence and figure of 8. Test taken February 2002 in HCM, no need for the written test.

1st licence elapsed 2007, second 2012 and here I am on my third.

There you go!

Halfway wrote:

Traded licence and figure of 8. Test taken February 2002 in HCM, no need for the written test.

1st licence elapsed 2007, second 2012 and here I am on my third.

There you go!

Gotcha :)

I was under the impression that if you did the test the VN licence didn't expire.
If that's the case no point in me doing beyond getting my A2. Which I have already on my UK licence.

laidbackfreak wrote:

Gotcha :)

I was under the impression that if you did the test the VN licence didn't expire.
If that's the case no point in me doing beyond getting my A2. Which I have already on my UK licence.

And why some licences expire after 5 years while some others are unlimited?

And why some licences expire after 5 years while some others are unlimited?

Beats me!

I Wouldn't bother. The police are incredibly corrupt and see you as a cash bonus. I've been here 6 years and they get money license or not

BretttaylorHolmes wrote:

I Wouldn't bother. The police are incredibly corrupt and see you as a cash bonus. I've been here 6 years and they get money license or not

I'm  not bothered so much about the police,  but if I'm involved in an accident and need medical assistance. My insurance is covered as I have all my paperwork in order.

Dearr laid back freak

I hate to sound negative (really) but last month my friend who has medical insurance had a motorbike crash which was (as usual) not his fault. It ended up with both the drunk Vietnamese driver and my friend hurt and lying on the ground.
Expecting assistance he was rewarded with  his wallet being stolen and his keys taken by the amassed crowd around him, who then demanded that he pay for the drunken driven drivers damaged bike. 10 minutes later the cops arrived blamed him and threatened to take his bike away if he didn't pay "the special fine".
As a result there was no police report and no chance to claim.
It's not always like this but these things do happen here.

Brett,
I am well aware that as a foreigner in the event of an accident I will be blamed and without evidence to back up my side I will end up paying. (I and I know of others have cameras fitted to my bike to record instances). I'm also aware of the liability for life rule.

I was thinking more along the lines if something happens and I end up in hospital and need to claim for medical insurance for me. If I have all my paperwork in hand, its one less get out clause for the insurance(conmen) firms.

PS I have been stopped by the police and they are always surprised to see i have my papers in order. I still end up paying but at least it's one less thing they have to use against me.

Lots of them..Bao Viet been the biggest !

Hey I really need to get an A2 for my new Harley.. any advise!! thanks. B