Import tax for used bicycles

Hello

I will be moving to HCMC soon, and was thinking of taking a used bicycle with me.

Does anyone know if I will have to pay import tax, if I take it on the plane with me? How is the tax calculated?

Would I have to pay import tax if I post the bike to Vietnam?

I have emailed the Vietnamese customs web site, but have not had a reply.

Any help would be much appreciated

Do NOT - I repeat, do NOT ship the bike to Vietnam via air cargo carrier such as FedEx, DHL, or UPS.

First of all, you cannot "legally" ship a used bike to Vietnam - only new ones. The reason: You will be asked to show customs your sales receipt, which of course will have a date on it which they can determine is not new. If the bike is indeed new, whatever the purchase price was, you will have to pay about 60% duty on that amount. So, if you show a receipt for $1000, expect to pay around $600 duty. If your bike is several years old, you wouldn't want to pay duty on the full purchase price anyway. And don't think about going to your local bike shop and getting them to "fabricate" a bogus receipt with a lower purchase price for you - the VN customs agents are too smart for that. They know the value of the nicer bikes. How do I know this? I've "been there - done that".

Best thing to do is pack your bike in a flight box and check it in with the airline as checked baggage. No matter how much the airline charges you, it will be less than shipping it here and having to deal with VN customs at the incoming air cargo terminal. You will still have to go through customs at the airport, but they usually don't make much fuss over passengers bringing in bikes - unless they appear, or are indeed new.

One of our regular posters on this forum - Wild_1, is planning to bring a bicycle to VN with him on his return flight here very soon. Maybe he will follow up with more info on this subject.

@saigonmonkey is correct about using checked baggage - the tax is zero.

Many air carriers have special (low) tariffs for sports equipment. Some even provide boxes.

Note: You have to ship with valves out of the tubes, reversed pedals, 90 degree on the handlebar. There are usually size/weight waivers so pack a few spare parts. Wrap the areas of the bike parts that might be in contact with each other, then secure with Tie-wraps.

Be aware that fancy (bevelled) bearings, etc. are unlikely to be found here.

I shipped a bicycle return between TSN and YYZ and there were no hassles or damage.

The security types will punch a hole in the box so they can stick a fibre optic viewer in the contents.

Vietnam does not permit USED items.
ALL items will be taxed as if they were new!

hELLnoi wrote:

This is correct, but as long as you can take an item as checked baggage with you on an airplane, you will be OK. As posted previously, it will still be subject to customs screening at TSN airport though.

Since when has VietNam ever taxed a Foreigner flying in to TSN? (Other than Nigerians)

I came in after a days trip to SIN loaded down with boxed electronics components and the X-ray sweetie couldn't have been less interested.

However, VNese - and Howie in CA - would get dinged.

The airlines require all sharp machine corners be padded - check your carrier for full details. Best to wrap them in strips of cotton sheeting.

Jaitch wrote:

Since when has VietNam ever taxed a Foreigner flying in to TSN?

Jaitch, in all probability you are right. But I made the customs screening statement to remind everyone that the stuff you bring in on the plane WILL be checked, whether or not they pay attention to what they are checking.

A few years ago, the company I was working for at the time had one of our employees bring a shipping label printing machine with them as checked baggage. It was boxed from the manufacturer to protect it during the flight. Upon arrival here, TSN customs proceeded to hold it hostage until we went over the next day and "negotiated" with them to let us have it.

It probably depends a little on what time of day you arrive, and the mood of the X-ray machine operator.

Jaitch wrote:

I came in after a days trip to SIN loaded down with boxed electronics components and the X-ray sweetie couldn't have been less interested.

The customs probably have a photo of you with your High Powered Shades with the "DANGER. DO NOT ANNOY!!!" since you know Vietnam before most of the customs officers were born.
hEE2
They only bully the meek travelers and holiday makers.

@hELLnoi: The picture is of a BUG - not me - that my daughter found in some Biology class project.

@saigonmonkey: VN Customs is alert, even if appearing to sleep, to weapons. I brought a gun-like cable laying tool (has a roll of nylon fishing twine that is attached to a slug) which is used to install cabling under suspended computer room floors.

With careful positioning, and knowing I was able to place it upon the X-ray conveyor belt, it went through.

They are other tricks that have never failed me, either here or even in Western countries, that result in my sailing trough Customs. All my bags are made made of woven Kevlar which satisfies Inspectors nothing could be secreted in the bag.

VN couldn't care less about food, fruit, etc. as most anything imported stuff is not as risky as resident bugs and diseases. There are two exceptions: US meat products (foot and mouth) and Bird Flu (smile at the hidden camera as you enter Immigration).

HOWEVER, outgoing security HAS stiffened. I was challenged over a couple of tubes of batteries (AA) I carry for my equipment AND a Kingston computer security wire device attached to my high-end computer and my wrist. They thought the Kingston security thingy could be used in an attack.

The outgoing types like money, as in trying to be smuggled.

But, compared to US Homeland dolts, VietNam Customs are like pussy cats.

hELLnoi wrote:

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply.

Does this mean that even if I posted my clothes, via air,   these would be subject to some kind of tax?  If not I could do this and take the bicycle on the plane.

Yes, even personal clothings are subject to tax if sent by post.
If you carry them in, its another story.
If you send your belongings, there is no door to door delivery. You will have to collect your parcel from the post office.

When you carry sports items they allow oversize and overweight without too much penalty.

ALSO your machine is in ADDITION to your baggage allowance - if you are allowed 2 bags, the bike would be the third.

Trouble is, everywhere except trans-Atlantic, is usually 44 pounds. There are a few variations on flights to HongKong and China such as extra bag allowed for a fee.

Check carriers, one allowing more baggage allowance with a higher fare might be cheaper than a cheap fare and a stiff baggage charge. Try to avoid American carriers - they surcharge everything except toilets.

hELLnoi wrote:

Yes, even personal clothings are subject to tax if sent by post.
If you carry them in, its another story.
If you send your belongings, there is no door to door delivery. You will have to collect your parcel from the post office.

I have already got the bike up for sale, I'll try and get one in HCMC instead, save me some hassle.

My wife has aleady posted 50 kilos worth of clothes and shoes, she'll be in for a shock when she picks those up.

Jaitch wrote:

Jaitech, they dinged me twice. One time I had 4 new Iphones in my luggage and after arguing with them for 30 minutes I finally made a $40 donation to the Customs widows and orphans fund, the second time they hassled me over vitamins and it cost me another $20 donation. The funny part about the vitamins was when they opend my luggage I had several bottles of percocet and morphine and they just looked at it and went to the vitamins and said "medicine, medicine pay tax." Both times I was using Vietnamese Samsonite, you know cardboard boxes.

sygon wrote:

I have already got the bike up for sale, I'll try and get one in HCMC instead, save me some hassle.

That may be a good alternative for you. Keep in mind though, if you're a tall guy who requires a larger-framed bike, (like me) those are hard to come by here.

Once you get here and start looking for a bike, we will be glad to help recommend good places around the city to buy one.

Along those same lines:

http://www.thanhniennews.com/2010/Pages … ports.aspx

Hello fellas,

I bought my favorite colored bike for about $300, over 2 months ago.  Opened it up and rode it around southern Cal until yesterday, when I reboxed it with 2 extra tires.  The box weighted 33 lbs.  I called my courier, EVA,  this morning and they wanted $400, for oversized luggage.  I called a friend, who does cargos, and he quoted me $155, picked-up and will be delivered to my door in Can Tho, from 7 to 10 days.  So, screw EVA!  The guy has my bike now.  Let's hope that I will get it back in one piece, or in its original configuration.  :D

I will keep you guys posted.

Howie

Wild_1 wrote:

...  I called my courier, EVA,  this morning and they wanted $400, for oversized luggage.

Did EVA, the airline that has never had a crash, know what was in it?

At least you know you will arrive safely. There are free InterNet terminals near the transit lounge.

Yes, Jaitch.  I had to tell them, just like my with my friend, everything.  But, what a rip off!  400 big ones???
Man, now I keep my fingers crossed.

Wild_1 wrote:

I bought my favorite colored bike ..

Hm, let me guess. This one?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-pTa46cm1Fv0/TV4PVGgWPhI/AAAAAAAAAa8/7CgiFctyVoM/s1600/tahiti%2Bpink.JPG

No, Anatta.  That is just way too cool for me. 

Wait!  Isn't hot pink your color???

Dude
It was not me to insist on a particular color, like you did, so I figured that must be a hard-to-find color. Anyway, it suits you, so pity that you did not get that.

Is the import tax higher for that model and colour?
There goes my dream bike :(
Now it is only a memory...

There, there, Hellnoi...  Anatta was just playing.  If you like that model and color, he will be more that happy to hook you up with one.  He has a collection of those, in various shades...

hELLnoi wrote:

Is the import tax higher for that model and colour?
There goes my dream bike :(
Now it is only a memory...

It is not a matter of import tax. Is it customized for Howie.
Good luck prying that colored bike away from him. Over his dead body!!

Anatta that is truly the bike that Wild_1 has always dreamed about. Except you forgot some required accessories. First of all the training wheels on the rear, next are the handlebar grips with the pink streamers, and last but  not least the little bell on the handle bars that go "ding ding". Now that's Wild_1's dream ride.

Budman1 wrote:

Anatta that is truly the bike that Wild_1 has always dreamed about. Except you forgot some required accessories. First of all the training wheels on the rear, next are the handlebar grips with the pink streamers, and last but  not least the little bell on the handle bars that go "ding ding". Now that's Wild_1's dream ride.

haizzz...
sigh sigh sob sob.
Sygon must be glad he got rid of his bike.
And moved to more pressing issues like how to get his wife's 50 kg clothing from the post office.
There are taxis in HCM. But moving impossible loads are the specialty of Xe Oms! I have seen some moving fridges.

Budman1 wrote:

You meant this one?

http://image.made-in-china.com/4f0j00OBzEjbwcLhgk/Beautifull-Pink-Children-Bicycle.jpg

Wild_1 did not find its hue match exactly his skin color, so he settled for the other one, thus foregoing all the accessories!! Well, one cannot have it all in life, unfortunately!!

Yepper that's it. Whitewall tires even. Your the man Anatta. Howie should thank-you from the bottom of his heart.

I know. He definitely should have. Such a true friend, yet what do I get in return? insults and harm!! What has this world become?

hELLnoi if he can wait till Wild_1 gets back I'm sure he wouldn't mind moving the 50K on his new bike.

sygon wrote:

My wife has aleady posted 50 kilos worth of clothes and shoes, she'll be in for a shock when she picks those up.

She should say she is donating them to charity for poor people!

(Why would anyone bring regular clothes here when we have a great selection of natural (including silk) and man made clothing and great tailors?)

Jaitch that many kilo's in used clothes might not clear customs. Years ago my wife used to get donations from people in Japan and she would ship them over here to some of the less affluent. She did it for over 10 years. About 7 years ago the last box she mailed got returned to us  by Vietnam customs because it was all used clothes. Just thought I'd mention it.

The duties on Anatta's pink bikes were 100%.

As for Budman's returned parcel, it was returned because he tried to sneak a similar bike here, back in the day, when the country was trying to go straight. 

Anatta and Budman, you red color guards, tell the truths...  And nothing but the truths!  So help you God.

WIld, u really bring that bike to Vn?, gonna be awesome to see u riding it around CanTho :D

my 2 cents worth...

whenever anyone sends me anything from abroad to vietnam I get a bus to cambodia to recieve it, then bring whatever the aforementioned stuff is back as personal luggage. A guy sent me a 30 kilo box with a whole manner of crap stuff inside...clothes, speakers, a used laptop, some of my old trainers, a few bike parts, some books, a new petzl headlamp, a sleeping bag, some new sunglasses, just odds and sods and bits and bobs...i estimate that had i recieved that 30 kilos of gear in vietnam i would have been hit with about 50 dollars in tax, despite the fact most of the stuff was just my own gear from home and most of it is years old. This is a total pisstake and so I prefer to have stuff sent to a mate in cambodia, where NO tax is ever charged, and then bring it back here. The round trip costs about 60 or 70 dollars in bus fees, a cambodian visa, a hotel for the night, food and drink etc...but at least it gets me out of saigon for 48 hours, and i resent paying tax on a bunch of old crappy gear you wouldnt even find at a jumble sale.

My advice about your bike...to get it shipped here its gonna cost the guts of 300 bucks in transport fees, then whatever tax vietnam decides to hit you with...which seems to be just whatever they "think" the item might be worth....my mate bought me a second hand T shirt in a thailand market for 1 pound, then posted itto me in vietnam where they charged me 2 pounds tax for it..the thing had holes in it FFS....me personally i would nip across to cambodia and buy a new bike at the giant bike showroom in phnom penh and then bring it back as though you are on a bicycle tour....actually wheel it through the customs gate and look as though you've been riding it acrosss asia or something...i did it with a brand new giant XTC and didnt pay a penny in tax. When your ready to leave you can sell it in vietnam cos there arent many decent mountain bikes available here....cambodia has some great mountain bikes and motorbikes too, but vietnam is quite mundane in that respect...just millions and millions of honda waves and yamahas that look like honda waves.

Im not moaning...vietnam is okay.

anyway, 2 cents finished

The  Honda is assembled in VN!

See: < https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IKPYPtjCqE >.

Hi, I think that any baggage does not have any tax. Every time I go, I bring the maximum weight in my suitcases full of gifts for my wife's relatives.
Anyway, you can buy bicycles in Vietnam anyway. They are cheap, and if they break, then you can have them fixed for cheap. I do not think you would want to bring your prized possession there anyway, it might get stolen, or be difficult to ride around the bumpy streets.

pslemmons wrote:

Hi, I think that any baggage does not have any tax. Every time I go, I bring the maximum weight in my suitcases full of gifts for my wife's relatives.
Anyway, you can buy bicycles in Vietnam anyway. They are cheap, and if they break, then you can have them fixed for cheap. I do not think you would want to bring your prized possession there anyway, it might get stolen, or be difficult to ride around the bumpy streets.

Most bikes in vietnam are crap chinese made things...and for a decent cannondale or trek with mid-range components you will pay the guts of 30 million VND...you can get the same quality bike in cambodia for about 20 million VND.

Im not trying to be a smartass but I did spend days checking all this out around 6 months ago before going to cambodia to buy my giant XTC.

BTW..the price tag on the XTC in cambodia that I bought was 1295 dollars...I went in there and said i only had 980 dollars in my bag and i only wanted that 1295 dollar bike or else I wouldnt buy anything cos all the other bikes under 1300 had shit forks (suntour). They agreed to 980 bucks and I was a bit surprised.....i was actually telling them the truth...i had 980 dollars in my bag and thatwas it, i had to borrow moneyfrom my mate in cambodia to pay my hotel and get a bus ticket nack to saigon...

...I think what I am getting at is if anyone goes to cambodia to buy a mountain bike at the giant showroom dont be afraid to haggle...I got almost 300 dollars knocked off the asking price of that XTC, and I am not very good at haggling. In fact the only reason i was able to haggle and say I "only had 980 dollars" was cos it was the truth......the staff are really nice and smile and laugh a lot but speak almost no english....so you cant ask them any technical questions.

There is a bike shop in saigon called jett cycles in tran phu street district 5...they have some low end cannondales but they are a bit shit...the manager is a very friendly guy and says that the "jett rampage sport" mountain bike is actually an excellent bike and great value for money at 14 million dong. I think most of the components on it are better than what I have on my giant XTC....just that "Jett bikes" isnt exactly a well known brand so people tend to overlook them, as I did.

Alright gang,

Contrary to Anatta, I got me a real men's bike, with men spoke pattern.
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfMQ0M5GmcvhCbTqcrm3eUU4kdN5xkCde9naRqX302xQQirdKJ
It is not fancy and extricably expensive.  It is just what I like.

pslemmons wrote:

you can buy bicycles in Vietnam anyway. They are cheap

I can't agree with you more.  It is just that I do not have the time or the presence of mind to deal with such things.  Therefore, getting a Schwinn Volare from Sears shipped here was the only way, for me...  Plus, I love that mauritius blue on white and the spoke pattern.  It looks a lot better than Anatta's bikes, doesn't it?

chalface wrote:

"Jett bikes" isnt exactly a well known brand so people tend to overlook them,

One of the guys on here introduced this brand of bikes to me in a previous thread.  I looked at them awhile back and, like you, thought that they were some decent bikes.  However, I just didn't like their color schemes and spoke patterns.  Anyway, I was home and this Volare was on sale, so I figured, "What the heck..."

Now, there is only a few days left, before my bike gets here.  If it gets to me in one piece, it will look and ride just as good as some of the more expensive bikes around here.

Anatta, don't even think about borrowing it!  The only thing that I would let you do is check and see if the headlight is working.  Wanna do that?  :idontagree: