Close

buy a car in vietnam

I'm wondering if, as a canadian working here, I can buy a car. Considering the high prices of cars in Vietnam, is there any advantage to buy it in Cambodia and cross the border after  ?

thanks

michel

Foreigners can buy car in Vietnam, Michel. It would be quite expensive buying a car due to impoted tax added up. Not sure about buying a car from Cambodia and cross the border. I'm sure u can do it thou.

If you buy it in Cambodia you will be up for some high taxes, plus all the paperwork to change it over to be fully registered here in Viet Nam. If your worried about the costs of cars in Viet Nam, then maybe it's not a viable option to own one.

Not worth the cost, Michel.  Doesn't matter where you purchase the vehicle from.  But if you can afford it, it's nice to have a driver drive you around town. 
My friend has a car and he said it's very hard to get around, parking is difficult and expensive, maintenance is high, and he ended up not using it much at all.  And it's hard to sell used cars here.  Had it for 3 years and only had 4k on the odometer. hmm, I should tell him to work for grabtaxi. :dumbom:

I think it is cheaper to buy old car, you can visit used car fair in Mac Dinh Chi, D1. Below detail in tuoitre new: http://tuoitrenews.vn/business/35826/ho … w-features

Questions and answers about transports

Ask your question
Sophie in HCM
foreigner import the used-car for working in Vietnam
By Sophie in HCM
jonairz
Full-manual motorcycles under $1,200 USD?
By jonairz
Tamnguyen79
For rental: brandnew car with private driver
By Tamnguyen79
kevl423
Lexington to CBD
By kevl423
panda7
oil changes
By panda7
drybones
Vietnamese International Driving Licence
By drybones

Expatriate health insurance in Ho Chi Minh City

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Ho Chi Minh City

Moving to Ho Chi Minh City

Find tips from professionals about moving to Ho Chi Minh City

Travel insurance in Ho Chi Minh City

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Ho Chi Minh City

Flights to Ho Chi Minh City

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Ho Chi Minh City