Buy a car in vietnam

I'm wondering if, as a canadian working here, I can buy a car. Considering the high prices of cars in Vietnam, is there any advantage to buy it in Cambodia and cross the border after  ?

thanks

michel

Foreigners can buy car in Vietnam, Michel. It would be quite expensive buying a car due to impoted tax added up. Not sure about buying a car from Cambodia and cross the border. I'm sure u can do it thou.

If you buy it in Cambodia you will be up for some high taxes, plus all the paperwork to change it over to be fully registered here in Viet Nam. If your worried about the costs of cars in Viet Nam, then maybe it's not a viable option to own one.

Not worth the cost, Michel.  Doesn't matter where you purchase the vehicle from.  But if you can afford it, it's nice to have a driver drive you around town. 
My friend has a car and he said it's very hard to get around, parking is difficult and expensive, maintenance is high, and he ended up not using it much at all.  And it's hard to sell used cars here.  Had it for 3 years and only had 4k on the odometer. hmm, I should tell him to work for grabtaxi. :dumbom:

I think it is cheaper to buy old car, you can visit used car fair in Mac Dinh Chi, D1. Below detail in tuoitre new: http://tuoitrenews.vn/business/35826/ho … w-features

VuandHuy wrote:

Not worth the cost, Michel.  Doesn't matter where you purchase the vehicle from.  But if you can afford it, it's nice to have a driver drive you around town. 
My friend has a car and he said it's very hard to get around, parking is difficult and expensive, maintenance is high, and he ended up not using it much at all.  And it's hard to sell used cars here.  Had it for 3 years and only had 4k on the odometer. hmm, I should tell him to work for grabtaxi. :dumbom:

I have a Jeep that was quite useful at our farm in Bình Thuận Province. Two years ago, my wife's illness became grave. Anyway, I brought the Jeep here to TP HCM where my wife needs to be for medical treatment.

I love my Jeep and it does bring back memories of the early to mid 1970's in Viet Nam. So, I expect that I will have the Jeep for a long time. But, VuandHuy rather understate the difficulties involved in owning a car in TP HCM. Also, while we live with in wheel-chair pushing distance of the Hospital, I can use the Jeep as a transport vehicle if my wife needs to go to the Hospital in the rain. To add a couple more issues . . .

1) the required vehicle inspection every six months.

2) the very different driving style of a car in Viet Nam

Hello Lien,

I am hoping to potentially purchase a jeep similar to your one. Mid 70s M151 A2 Jeep.
Seeing as you have one I thought it'd be wise to ask if you have any advice as to where I might be able to find one to buy?

Many thanks,
Scott

70 years old wrote:
VuandHuy wrote:

I have a Jeep that was quite useful at our farm in Bình Thuận Province. Two years ago, my wife's illness became grave. Anyway, I brought the Jeep here to TP HCM where my wife needs to be for medical treatment.

I love my Jeep and it does bring back memories of the early to mid 1970's in Viet Nam. So, I expect that I will have the Jeep for a long time. But, VuandHuy rather understate the difficulties involved in owning a car in TP HCM. Also, while we live with in wheel-chair pushing distance of the Hospital, I can use the Jeep as a transport vehicle if my wife needs to go to the Hospital in the rain. To add a couple more issues . . .

1) the required vehicle inspection every six months.

2) the very different driving style of a car in Viet Nam

You're a 70 year old Veteran driving around right now in a 70's Vietnam war era military jeep? That's... hilarious!

I have seen a guy driving one around in Saigon before but he was also dressed like a Viet Cong war hero.

scottmac wrote:

Hello Lien,

I am hoping to potentially purchase a jeep similar to your one. Mid 70s M151 A2 Jeep.
Seeing as you have one I thought it'd be wise to ask if you have any advice as to where I might be able to find one to buy?

Many thanks,
Scott

How much is your budget.

This one is for sale, I wouldn't pay 5000 usd for it, but someone might.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2284991 … 5027193429

Hard to park? More likely hard to find parking place ;) I drive Ford Ranger and don't have problems parking it but to find one ;) as sometimes you find place and police will not like it and wants to take your car  :lol:

Expensive?  If you compare to motorbike 3000vnd sure.. expect to pay 30000vnd upwards.

Hard to get around? Well slower.. then again your sitting in aircon cabin ;)

colinoscapee wrote:

This one is for sale, I wouldn't pay 5000 usd for it, but someone might.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2284991 … 5027193429

I am not a Jeep expert but have had friends who were so a little rubs off.  70 years old is something of an expert as well but we haven't heard from him lately.  Hoping all is well.

Actually 151's, which that appears to be, are rather rare in the US.  When the Army converted to the Humvee, they demanded that all of the 151's sold at surplus be cut in half because of (mis)perceived safety reasons.  It is reasonable to assume that the 151's in Vietnam were seized from the ARVN in 1975. 

Of course a Jeep can be a lot of fun but there are obvious limitation.  Although they may be better getting through deep spots than regular autos, they are not fun in a torrential monsoon season rainfall.  Also it is nearly impossible to lock up your belongings in one.  Overall this one may be worth the asking price as it would be worth at least that much in the US.  Another little bonus is that there are 4 wheel clubs in Vietnam that you could join which is an excellent way to meet locals with similar interests.

Similar vehicle in Saigon is 2000 usd, so yeah this one is overpriced. She has had it for sale for 7 months, that says a lot.

Budget around $3000USD

Try the VN classifieds, get a local to help you.