50cc Motorbike

Hello guys,

What is the price range for a 50cc bikes and do I need to have a VN license to ride one? What would be a good place to start looking for one once I am in HCM or My Tho? Any feed back would be helpful.

Wayne

50cc you almost will not get to buy. Unless you buy second hand. As for below 50 cc, there is normally no licence needed.
Rules for really owing a bike - even a 50 cc ain't different to getting a driving licence.
Prices might be like everything from USD 200 onwards

(1) Cheaper than a real motorcycle, and usually only available used (Honda 50cc are the most popular); (2)No licence for electric o 50 cc machines (which is why school teenagers use them); (3) Motorcycle dealers occasionally have lawn mowers - sorry - 50 cc's for sale.

These things are frustration incarnate. You are sitting on this noisy, smoky thing, and when the light goes green you are left phut-phutting along looking stupid, breathing the exhaust of real bikes.

Not only that, you are more than likely too big to ride the damn things safely and you will get leg cramping.

And buses and trucks often don't see you ... until it is too late!

You could try cushions to increase your height but you still have problems. Also, you can't carry passengers / girls on them!

I have one, and its great.  I bought it from a friend for 300$, maintenance is super cheap.  Police don't mess with you and you never go fast enough in the city to not be able to keep up with traffic.

So you are saying I won't attract girls with the 50cc bike! I can't have that! :/ What kind of bikes do you guys have? Or do you guys have any recommending? My price range is 200 - 500 USD. Can I just thug it out and ride without a VN license? :cool:

Best to come over, check out used bikes then buy one.

Hello,

I'm also looking for a 50cc bike. Don't mind if it is used. I also heard stories of registered 50cc bikes that are actually 'tickled' to 70/80cc. Does anybody know someone that sells bikes likes this?

dennisje182 wrote:

Hello,

I'm also looking for a 50cc bike. Don't mind if it is used. I also heard stories of registered 50cc bikes that are actually 'tickled' to 70/80cc. Does anybody know someone that sells bikes likes this?

Yes, loads of them around and you can quick become "the best friend" for the police.

50cc bikes you will almost not find - some honda chally, that is what I have seen, and still you need a kind of legal owner(ship) as well a driving licence.
Have a decent accident, and you might find out, what can happen. A frontal is quick done , 2 times only 15 km/h is potential deadly and speed are often a bit higher than that.

What do you mean by "the best friend" for the police " :P.
I have plenty riding experience, just not a valid motorcycle license. So that is why I'm looking for a 50cc

The 50cc motors can be 'adjusted' to improve their performance, I know of one place that does it, in Cho Lon.

Watched them road test a modded machine and the rider was left sitting on the side street as he wasn't prepared to the new ride!

http://photo.bikervietnam.com/wp-content/gallery/hinh-anh-bai-viet/honda-nsc50r_5.jpg
There are new 50cc machines - like the Honda NSC50R - as well as several other machines emanating from Europe where gas prices in VN look cheap.

Honda NSC50R specifications (Europe)
The vehicle's wheelbase 1.256mm length, seat height from ground 760mm. The trunk is quite large, able to accommodate a helmet head. Of NSC50R fuel tank with a capacity of 5.5 liters. Vehicles using hydraulic disc brakes front size 220mm, rear drum brakes, 130mm size, combined with CBS brakes provide safety when operating. Vehicles use 14-inch wheels, 5-spoke. Weight falls between 102.5 kg with full fuel tank.

The new machines have electronic controls and electronic controls inevitably get modded.

How about electric motorbikes?
An obvious alternative is electric battery power. The Chinese make some that have to be electronically tamed before importation is permitted into Europe. Again, what is added can be removed. Fast chargers allow for recharges as short as 30 minutes.

Elevating the seats
A perennial problem for Foreign riders on machines built for the VN market.

Between myself and my employer we have six Kymco machines. With the exception of my wife's machine, all have had their seats elevated.

We simply bought replacement under seat trunks (storage lockers); cut away the bottoms using a heavy duty soldering iron, together with a couple of slots in the sides to accommodate protrusions.

The seats were removed  to be fitted later to the new extensions.

These bottomless sides were then bolted and riveted to the sides of the original trunk - do NOT use GLUE, it is neither strong enough nor reliable.

[Moderated]