Benghazi for kids - Part 1

Dear All - yes we are here!  Here is my week 1 summary of what to do in Benghazi especially if you have small children:

1.) visit the zoo/park.  Not many animals, but sufficient; it's like a zoo from 1970's Britain.  The good news is there is a fun park attached with (creaky but serviceable) rides. Admission to the park 2 LYD for adults, 1 LYD for children, small ones free.  The best news is the rides are free (?) well they were for us!   We also got extra goes on the ferris wheel!  Hurrah!

2.) visit Qar Younis tourist village.  It costs 2LYD to take your car in but thereafter free, unless you pay for a thatched parasol (I think we paid 15 LYD!).  It's like 1970's Spain (do you see a pattern emerging?)  There are two pools, currently empty, but the sea is warm!  The beach is clean as is the sea, and best of all there is a bouncy castle.  Also restaurant attached with chicken sandwichesAlso tennis lessons - I will find out more and post again.  The tournament going on yesterday was MOST professional - umpires on tall chairs and sponsorship, all for 10 year old kids!  Better than I have seen anywhere in the UK if tennis lessons for kids is your bag. 

3.) the people - especially the men - will coo and cuddle your children and make them feel extra special, and how lovely is that!

I have a couple of questions though - is there a really good supermarket anywhere here - I will travel a long way for a good cheese selection!  Also anyone know of dancing lessons for small children??   Cheers

Check out the blog 'the Wrigs in Libya'.  They are a Canadian couple with young children so they may have some info for you.  The British school is were many expats make contacts in Benghazi.  All the best and enjoy the beach this summer!

Glad to hear you got to Benghazi. My husband and I have just accepted jobs there. We are now waiting on visas but hope to be there by August.

There seems to be very little information on the internet about Benghazi- Nearly everything I find is about Tripoli.

J

izzy01 wrote:

Glad to hear you got to Benghazi. My husband and I have just accepted jobs there. We are now waiting on visas but hope to be there by August.

There seems to be very little information on the internet about Benghazi- Nearly everything I find is about Tripoli.

J

Izzy, Both myself and Wildcat are fairly new to Benghazi but we're finding our way round and meeting a few people on the way. Keep in touch via the forum and if you have any questions I'm sure we can help (and there'll be others who can I'm sure!) :)