Upcoming 'shutdown'

hi all,
I was planning to come to Bangkok for studies and Thailand International Jazz Conference in the end of a month, but I heard about that 'shutdown' planned by the protesters, as well as tanks and heavy artillery in the city...
so I'm curious, what do you guys think about spending a week or two in Bangkok in the mid-end of January? I'm a total stranger, never been to Thailand before.
(obviously, it should become clearer after the 13th, but I'm trying to plan ahead.)
thanks!

It's a very difficult question to answer. The tanks and guns are just there for National Childrens Day(tomorrow). Many tourists have continued to enjoy Bangkok away from the protest sites up to now. Monday may be different.

If you subscribe to Twitter there are some great live updates @RichardBarrow is an excellent one.

Good Luck.

thanks Mike

It depends on where your conference is. The tanks are  shown up for Children days just like every year so I do not think it has nothing to do with the mob.

Alisarav: it's Mahidol University

Mahidol University is far from shutdown place ( i mean Salay campus which the Music College placed ).
You can find the way to go there but not convenient.

How long is a piece of string  ? :) very difficult to predict. I work at CTW ( one of the protest sites) but been coming to work everday whithou any trouble. I been get cheap foot massage and have dinner at the protest site before i go back home. :) 

Don't change your plans. The situation can go any which way, so stick your travel plans and try an make the most of it. If thinks get bad in BKK, you can always visit another city in Thiland.

Regards

so hows it now? safe?

I am planning to visit bangkok next week, whats the current position, is it safe there between all political issues.