Considering living in Oman

Hi,

My husband has just been offered a family status package with PDO in Oman which we are considering at the moment. We lived in Qatar for 4 years, but that was 12 years ago so we have some experience of the Middle East expat lifestyle.

We have loads of questions that need answering but haven't been very successful so far on the internet. Could anyone help us out with any of the following, we'd be very grateful.

1. We have a small dog, 3 years old Border Terrier very friendly but have read we can only walk him from 10am to 3pm, being this is the hottest part of the day and also when we both may be working, just wanted to find out if this correct?

Also are there good vets and kennels in Muscat anyone could recommend?

2. I've read about the new housing expansion at Ras al Hamra PDO and wondering what the accommodation is like for PDO staff or if there is any other compounds they use and what they are like.

3. My eldest son is at university on his 2nd year so he will more than likely stay in the UK, is it easy for him to visit us on his holidays?, does he need a visa etc? Alternatively are there any universities in Muscat that expats children can attend, we could look into for him, he is studying a pure math degree.

4. My youngest son is 13 and in year 9 in secondary school, this is the biggest hurdle we face, relocating him happily in Oman is the most important issue for us. I have heard both good and bad reports about the British School in Muscat, and wanted to understand more about the quality of education, how easy it is to settle new pupils in, extra curricular activities, he is football mad and will miss this the most. He plays football for his school team and for his local club.

5. What is the likely-hood of women (spouses) finding work in Muscat, I have always worked and after we've settled in would like to look for work.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Sarah

Hello Sarah.

Welcome to Expat-blog :)

Nice introduction :top:

Your message in now on the Oman forum for better interaction and visibility.

You may browse the other discussions of the same forum for better insights.

Thanks.

Karen :)

There to you...

1. I am working with an oil company which is having dozens of Expat and having Dogs/Cats too. They can walk any time. Also good vets there too.

3. He can visit any time.. visa requirements are also very easy to meet.

5. Spouses can get work, depends how competent they are.

Hi Sarah,

First of all congratulations to the offer! PDO is one of the biggest and best companies here in Oman! I can understand you have heeps of questions, trying to answer a few.

1. Yes, there are vets, I personally only know of one veterinary clinic, they are superb though, and can handle any issue regarding relocating and transporting the animals and deliver a very personal service, so your 4-legged members of the family are well-looked after! Here is their website, you might want to contact them ahead regarding requirements for bringing the animals in the country: muscatvets.com/

2. I don't know anything about PDO accomodation apart from that they are usually of the highest standard, close to PDO and in one of the best locations of Muscat!

3. Your son might well be eligible for a family visa, if not, he can get a tourist visa on arrival (20 O.R. for 1 month). There are no universities in Oman or anywhere in the Gulf that meet European Academic Standards, so completing his studies here, I would not advise.

4. From all I've heard, British School and ABA (American-British School) have very high standards. A former colleague of mine arrived with her 10 year old son, who had big trouble integrating at school and ABA really looked after him. After 2 years in the country they had to move back to the U.K. and were most upset about having to take their son out of ABA, as they feared they would not find such a nice school in the U.K. But best try and speak to other woman with kids at schooling age.

5. You finding work depends on your qualifications and profession. Beware that if you are on a spouse visa, you are not allowed to work and working despite being on a spouse visa can have consequences for you, your husband and his company. So, if you want to work, you need find a company that is willing to put you on their own working visa. I have heard of ways around the spouse visa rule for some part-time work, but have no details on it. PDO surely has excellent PRO's who will be able to help you with the issue. What is your profession if you don't mind me asking?
PDO also has its own club with tons of events and activities for children and adults alike. In general, Oman is a much friendlier place than Qatar, and locals and expats mix more than in other gulf countries, especially at PDO.

Any more questions, feel free to ask! I can onyl recommend Oman as a country, especially for families, it is very safe and relaxed.

Just a clariffication for the point # 5.
There is no room for any part-time work on spouse visa.

Yes, if an employer is willing to offer a job, a work visa will be offered (Thats the legal way).

Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply, very informative and reassuring.

My priority when we come to Oman is to get Jack settled in school/life in general as he's at that sensitive aged 13.

However, I would like to consider working if possible. I am a procurement professional with Oil/Gas, Rail, Civil and Construction industry experience gained over 20 years. When we were in Qatar 1998 to 2001, I worked in the Doha English Speaking School as the Registrations Administrator which I thoroughly enjoyed meeting new families from all over the world and taking them through the process of joining the school, a bit of a departure from my normal career path in the UK but fulfilling non the less. So I am hoping there may be options in admin or procurement in Muscat? we shall see.

Thanks again for your help.

Kind Regards,
Sarah

hi all how do I go about getting a job and a visa to Oman im African from Nigeria would like to work in Oman and play football(if I get the opportunity)