Can you help me? Pregnant and uncertain when to move, any advice?

Hi guys,
just wondering if anyone out there has had to or knows anyone who has moved to France while pregnant or with a newborn baby? 

I am a kiwi currently living in Australia with my husband who has lived most of his life in France.  He can't seem to get any regular work here in Australia. Although he is working for an agency, sometimes he gets work all week and other times he gets nothing.  I am working, so it's ok but in a couple of months I'll have to stop work and I get no maternity leave through my job.

He wants to move back to France within the next month as he can get a secure job straight away.  I am just a bit nervous as it's my first baby and we would be far from my family (who are in NZ)and I don't speak any French.  I was thinking to go after the birth, but I guess it's just as stressful moving with a newborn baby, but at least the birth would be done and I'd get a chance to see my parents and friends before we left. 
It would mean that we may lose quite a lot of our savings though, due to my husband's unreliable work schedule.

I'm excited about moving to France, I know it's a fabulous country, It's just getting the timing right.

If you have any advice I'd really appreciate it, thanks! :)

Dear Shiloh,
What a story! Is there anyone from your extended family able to come with you guys to France for help with the transition? I imagine the baby will adjust fine to the move. Growing up in France will be nice! I wish you luck!   Norm

You can go to France now itself. And once you deliver the little champ, your parents can either visit you, or you can take the champ to your parents.

If you plan to spend rest of your life in France, it will be better that your baby is born there. (To avoid getting passport for the child soon after birth, and then traveling with the champ to another country..)..

Hi Shiloh,

As someone who is on her fourth pregnancy in France and is good friends with an Aussie who had her first is Austrailia and her second in France, I can give you some personal experiences. 

First, whether or not you want to have the baby in France or at home in order for your family to see it, is up to you.  That's the biggest and first decision.  How important is it for your family to see the new baby. 

About the delivery, according to my friend, her delivery in France was much more enjoyable than at home.  Apparently, in austrailia, they discourage epidurals and it was a long, painful delivery for her.  In France, the health care is quite nice although the epidural is up to the mother of course.

Second, moving with a newborn might be difficult.  It's hard to relocate when you're single, or newly married and in love.  But add to that the hormones and emotions that come with being a new mom and it may double the dfficulties.  Being a new mom is a huge change in lifestyle and so is relocating.

I was already living in France when I became pregnant so there was no moving either during or after.  But I did travelT back to the states after each birth for a visit.  The baby will probably adjust quite nicely.  In my experience, the younger the easier.  A newborn has little sense of night and day so the jet lag in minimal.  My thoughts are that it will be harder for you. 

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and don't worry about the language.  That will come with time.

Rachel
www.thisprovencallife.wordpress.com

Hi Shiloh,
First, congrats on  your pregnancy!!

From you letter I am guessing you are in your 3rd trimester. If you decide to deliver in France,  the American Hospital  or the British hospital (in the Paris region) are excellent and for Anglophiles. 

Deciding where to  deliver is a decision between you and your husband. Meaning, as this is your first pregnancy, how important is it for your husband to be there? Most Dads would hate to miss out on  that precious moment.

France has excellent services to help new moms with their newborns. And you'll be surprised how many french people speak and understand English.

I am currently having my first child in France and I too have my family far away. Being an expat means sometimes one has to lean on oneself,  other expat friends or our significant other's family for  help.

For the lonely moments, the use of Skype or MSN helps to keep close to your family in NZ.
Your family will just love to be able to see the baby and you can instantly share with them your daily moments with your child.

Don't hesitate to contact me if you have more questions.

Good Luck!!
Shirlthepearl

Shiloh wrote:

Hi guys,
just wondering if anyone out there has had to or knows anyone who has moved to France while pregnant or with a newborn baby? 

I am a kiwi currently living in Australia with my husband who has lived most of his life in France.  He can't seem to get any regular work here in Australia. Although he is working for an agency, sometimes he gets work all week and other times he gets nothing.  I am working, so it's ok but in a couple of months I'll have to stop work and I get no maternity leave through my job.

He wants to move back to France within the next month as he can get a secure job straight away.  I am just a bit nervous as it's my first baby and we would be far from my family (who are in NZ)and I don't speak any French.  I was thinking to go after the birth, but I guess it's just as stressful moving with a newborn baby, but at least the birth would be done and I'd get a chance to see my parents and friends before we left. 
It would mean that we may lose quite a lot of our savings though, due to my husband's unreliable work schedule.

I'm excited about moving to France, I know it's a fabulous country, It's just getting the timing right.

If you have any advice I'd really appreciate it, thanks! :)