Current situation

I am a British expat and was wondering how expats are feeling about the current situation.

I am living in Maadi and in two minds whether to stay or leave.
thoughts????????

I think this thread can be used for advice and updates My advice is not to go out on Fridays.

I am living near downtown, not planning to leave anytime soon. I was out today to get some groceries and things seem to be quiet but otherwise functional. I think today will be bad but things should get "better" in the coming days. By better I mean more secure. If that means stricter enforcement of the "curfew" (which so far does not deter anyone in my neighbourhood, including myself) etc. then so be it.

Im having the same thoughts. I loved Egypt before. Now the ugliness is coming out. I don't care which side is right or wrong. Which ever side is right the current situation is still DISGUISTING

I don't know if i am more shocked at the indiscriminate killing, or the lack of compassion, even inhumanity shown by a vast number of Egyptians to the 'massacre' of their fellow citizens.

i totally agree i thought one thing the country could agree on is the right to free speech, but i hear many Egyptians saying they deserve this. i cant believe this its shocking.

i believe situation is getting better, regardless on Fridays :D:D, my advice  never get out for any reason during curfew especially you are not Egyptian which makes you in a real problem.

is the curfew only for main roads ?? or we are not even allowed to get down to area streets ?

No, its applied on the whole country here, for me i wasn't allowed to go to somewhere near to my home.

I would be very careful and take it day by day. the situation can take a turn for whatever they decide to do. I personally left on June 4th as I didn't want to stick around for this. I have been reading the news and it seems that the other brotherhood militants in the region are planning on going to Egypt and to fight alongside the Egyptian brotherhood. This is rumors but rumors start from somewhere. I personally didn't wait but then again it's really up to you and how you feel about your personal safety. All of my other expat friends left. It's just not safe and personally I didn't think it was worth it. But Maadi is probably the safest in Cairo.

If you fear for your life then leave and going out on Friday wasn't a good idea for the last 10 months.

:D don't worry i have been out for long time and i see situation here is getting better by time, and you know currently is the appropriate and best time for rumors which means most of them are fake, but we as Egyptians are up to the challenge and we can protect our country.

No offense Ahmed but it's getting worse by the day. I lived there for 14 months and had to sit in my house out of fear for over 90 days. it's not getting better. Actually the rumor was a news report about other Brotherhood groups  going to Egypt to fight with your brotherhood. So I wouldn't be so confident that life is going back to normal anytime in the near future.

no u r not offensives :). Yes aljezeera is spreading wrong news about Egypt to destroy it and current state btw u can also follow ontv they have English translation that u can also understand whats going on from different views may assure my opinion. regarding MB in other countries they can't dare to do anything here. :)

this is the problem with Egyptians, you think inside the box. you need to start thinking outside the box. If people dare to do crazy things in America and Europe then what makes Egypt safer than the others. here's the article and you decide for yourself if it's false. I think it's true and I think Egypt and Egyptians are in for a rude awakening.

you might want to read this: http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2013/ … egypt.html

"Terror leader behind plant attack vows to support Islamists in Egypt" thestar.com (Toronto)

Im not going to say AlJazeerah is great but watch OnTv, that's a joke too right? At least on AlJazeerah you can see pro military guests many times. Have you ever seen anything but a one sided story on OnTv or any Egyptian media? Please post one video, just one.

The MB are failures and the military is capitalizing on this calling them terrorists to give them the right to kill, jail and crush all opposition.

Basically you need to read all things. YOu basically have a propaganda game happening now. Don't fall into the trap and believe any one side.

Anyways Im glad Im not like most people - I'm not going to fall for the terror propaganda

Just like Mos Def said on the Bill Maher show speaking about the so called 911 terrorist attacks I aint scared of the boogey man.

ExpatEnglishTeacher, agreed on all counts.

ROCKFIRE wrote:

I am a British expat and was wondering how expats are feeling about the current situation.

I am living in Maadi and in two minds whether to stay or leave.
thoughts????????

I think this thread can be used for advice and updates My advice is not to go out on Fridays.

its totally boring, I am in maadi and I go out everyday during the curfew but cant go out of Maadi or the area, just around street number 9 and some other cafe's which are open till 12 am.

i  didn't say ontv is great, i just said see the other view. Because it is proved Aljezeera posted many fake news.

btw i am not pro or against morsi  because simply i don't care and i don't know who is right.

Neither side is right...you just need to be aware that egypt is vulnerable and its not safe at all right now. You just have decide for yourself and the news doesn't lie about everything, there is some truth to what you are seeing. Also remember, news is being reported by someone who sees things differently than you. As an outsider I saw that this was going to happen in January. For months I knew that Egypt was on the brink on complete chaos. I wish Egyptians would stop being so sure about themselves. you're just as vulnerable as everyone else.

Ahmed Walid wrote:

i  didn't say ontv is great, i just said see the other view. Because it is proved Aljezeera posted many fake news.

Really, thats interesting. Please post a link to story

because it has showed some demonstrations which are pro Morsi, but in reality it was pro the army. also in Rabaa Aljezeera said that over 2000 citizens were killed and 1 hour later the number decreased to 300 which is logically impossible.

yes true chaos is getting decreased by time. like Curfew is now 9 Pm till 6am which means it is just time and everything will be okay.

Ahmed Walid wrote:

because it has showed some demonstrations which are pro Morsi, but in reality it was pro the army. also in Rabaa Aljezeera said that over 2000 citizens were killed and 1 hour later the number decreased to 300 which is logically impossible.

the army killed over 1000 people so both Egyptian and Aljazeera were wrong. not counting the burned bodies. believe whatever you want to believe it's your right. And the Egyptian news lied as well, there wasn't 30 million protestors against Morsi. it was only 3 million and this was confirmed by a US Engineer. So who is the honest one here? no one.

yes true media is fake both Egyptian and aljezeera as i told u just see the 2 views when i meant ontv, btw i totally agree with you in every single word u mentioned. remember i said i am not pro or against, because simply i am not into politics because it is very complicated here and i don't think it will be solved peacefully at all.

and finally that's enough because it will be an endless conversation here :D:D

Agreed. Good luck with what's coming ahead. Be safe!

Thank you :) i am sorry if u felt i was kinda offensive or anything :D:D my apologies.   :D:D

No, not offended. Just saddened by the path the ummah has taken. Allah hafiz

Ahmed Walid wrote:

AlJazeerah did not show pro military protests as pro morsi protests at anytime. I think you're mixing up things in your memory cause I actually did see CBC do the exact thing youre talking about.

AlJazeerah never reports deaths. That would make them loose their journalistic intergrity. It is not the job of journalists to form opinions and arguments. It's their job to report the news. Al Jazeerah always says according to so and so the amount of deaths is x. They reported the number of deaths according to the MB and they reported the number of deaths according to the government. They don't do stupid things like that.

You need to watch more closely

yes, i did, i am watching all type of media here but i see no one is honest. :) anyway just wait and see

peace to all :)

just to make a point, the American/arab media is stating that 5000 have been killed. so lets just all realize that there is no way any media outlet knows everything. They are selling news of which at times is modified to the viewers they're targeting. it's all about marketing their information for their specific target. Egyptian news will never mention a number that high, arab news will downplay it a bit, western news will magnify the situation to show that arabs are insane. so take the one that suits you. The main issue here is that there is danger in Egypt. How much? you decide for yourself.

And as Don Moe said....Peace to all! be safe and if you feel that you're in danger then leave. that's all there is to it. no sense in arguing who's right and who's wrong. it's a moot argument.

meems74 wrote:

just to make a point, the American/arab media is stating that 5000 have been killed. so lets just all realize that there is no way any media outlet knows everything. They are selling news of which at times is modified to the viewers they're targeting. it's all about marketing their information for their specific target. Egyptian news will never mention a number that high, arab news will downplay it a bit, western news will magnify the situation to show that arabs are insane. so take the one that suits you. The main issue here is that there is danger in Egypt. How much? you decide for yourself.

And as Don Moe said....Peace to all! be safe and if you feel that you're in danger then leave. that's all there is to it. no sense in arguing who's right and who's wrong. it's a moot argument.

you are always TOTALLY right.