Questions about life in Belize

I contacted someone via email but I haven't gotten a response.  And I'm kind of anxious to receive answers. :-)

To make it easy on myself I will just copy and paste the email I sent here.
~~~~~~~~

I'm doing my "outside of the USA" research.  I came across your email on a blog website.  I was hoping you are still willing to answer questions for people like us.  :-)

1.  We are a farming family of 7.  My husband is not ready to sit with his feet in the air just yet.  So having something to do would be a must.  Can you give different options for us to support ourselves in Belize?  My husband will be 55 in October.  He has farmed all his life.  Is farming profitable?

2.  Medical/Dental care is important to me as a mother.  I have read that some people go north into Mexico for health care.  Can you give an opinion or advice on this topic?

3.  Schools - We are members of the Mennonite faith.  We currently homeschool.  We have heard/read there are some Mennonite groups in Belize.  I have read that the group in Blue Creek Village have their own school.  Do you know anything about homeschooling in Belize?  And/or anything about the Mennonite group in Blue Creek or elsewhere?  Also, land/acreage around the Blue Creek area?

4.  Bugs/spiders....tarantulas, etc?.  Mosquito/malaria?  Important to get vaccinated for this?  Yearly vaccination?

5.  Weather (per region/area North, Central, South)....muggy?  hurricanes?  What area is least muggy?

Sorry, for so many questions.  Since we are dairy farmers it will be harder for us to just take a month off and come see the area.  I'm trying to get a handle on the area through questions.  I know sometime down the road if (or as) we get more serious about leaving the USA, I will probably be the one (along with other friends and family) who will make the exploratory trip to Belize.  My husband probably would not be able to come with me unless we can find someone to milk our cows for us while we are gone.  Can't sell the cows just yet.  :-)

So thank you in advance for your time.  I look forward to hearing from you.  Feel free to tell me all you know!  :-)

I think you should contact one of the Mennonite groups in Belize. They  certainly could give you answers to all your questions, especially about the school and land/acreage issues.

I have found this link about a school in Blue Creek:

authenticwalk.com/belize/index.php

Thank you for your reply.

I've been trying to get ahold of someone in their community.  I already sent an email to the school and a gentleman contacted me back.  I sent him an email with some questions a week ago and he has not sent a reply.

So while I was waiting for a reply from him, I thought I would continue my search and see if there is someone else who could enlighten me.  I don't put all my eggs in one basket.

I'm not 100% sure we would "join" the group in Blue Creek.  But I did want to learn, not only about them, but about Belize in general.

The Blue Creek area isn't the only area I'm looking at.  But when it comes to purchasing land in Belize, I would prefer to stay inland.  I don't like large bodies of water and wouldn't want to live along the beach.  Also, I've read that some people go to Chetumal, Mexico for medical care.  If that is so, then the closer to the north the better.

Best regards

Remember when looking at land prices there will be the local price & the Gringo price. Also it is very important to know what the land you purchase is like during the wet season. I would suggest NOT buying until you have been there for a year at least & examine each area you are interested in when the weather is bad. This goes for access roads as well. There is a common expression that goes something like "To make a small fortune, start out with a big fortune." Good Luck.

I like that saying TF, very nice. lol have to certainly remember that one.

Why don't you go visit some Mennonite communities in Belize and find out for yourself what your life there might be like?

Go to this website of a Mennonite community in Belize. I am sure someone will contact you. They will have all the information also regarding medical care etc. http://www.spanishlookout.bz/