What is it like living in Norway

Hello,

I am a fellow Jamaican currently residing in London. Quick question- what is it like living in Norway.

I am looking to move to Stavanger.

Thanks

My advice,
Move to a big city with cultural diversity
It's easier to get jobs and meet friends

Hi Howie2012,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I have created a new topic as from your post on the Norway forum.

Can you please introduce yourself?

Maybe you could also post more specific questions. ;)

Wish you good luck and all the best,
Christine

that's not exactly a quick question! Lots of people have contributed their opinions in the various threads here. I recommend browsing through.

the general opinion seems to be that it's not the most open place but IMO it's what you make of it. I'm enjoying life here so far quite a lot but I haven't gone through a winter yet.

So which country are you from originally?

Howie2012 wrote:

So which country are you from originally?

can't say for the other poster but my path is in my profile if you're curious.

I would agree with ECS that you should browse through some old posts. Several people, including myself, have written about that topic at length. You will find mixed experiences. Some people love it here, some people think it's okay, and some people don't like it at all. It depends on who you are, what you like, what you are looking for and perhaps on having some luck with regard to finding a job and friends.

Yes this is what I would say too - move to Oslo

Although if there was a choice between Stavanger and Bergen, then Bergen is perhaps the more scenic one of the two.

Proudtobejamaican wrote:

My advice,
Move to a big city with cultural diversity
It's easier to get jobs and meet friends

I have heard the winters can be harsh, could you vouch for that?

Oh yes, but it is funny you mentioned Stavanger because that is perhaps the least cold of all places in Norway during winter. Also Bergen is slightly less cold although I hear it rains all the time in summer.

Oslo actually gets cold during winter , temp down to around 25 c degrees, so pretty much average for Norway although Stavanger and Bergen gets a bit less cold due to their location in coastal Norway, and in the southern part of the country (although it is called Vestlandet, ie west).

Finland is even colder than Norway.

But you should still consider Norway & Oslo ...you just need to purchase expensive warm clothes and not spend much time outside during winther, however in summer it is cosy in Norway.

Howie2012 wrote:

I have heard the winters can be harsh, could you vouch for that?

Howie: I found UK homes to be very cold and dampy during winther as most switch off the central heating system during night - so in this way, Norway (although much colder outside) is much better as the central heating system is on 24/7.

Norwegian houses are generally better insulated and better heated than British homes. The winters on the west cost aren't much different from the winters you would get in Scotland. In other parts of Norway it is much colder. There is much less daylight in Norway during the winter though, which can be hard going after a few months. This will also depend to some extent on which part of the country you live in.

I am so grateful to you all for all the helpful answers you are providing.

What about housing and job? Is it better to rent or to buy?

How easy is it to get jobs like admin, PA, scientific?

Finding somewhere to live is usually quite easy. You can find listings on www.finn.no. I know that some foreigners have difficulty renting, because certain groups might be discriminated against by some landlords. One problem you will have in Stavanger is that it has the most overheated property market in the country. Unless you have a large deposit available (maybe £40 000) then I don't think buying will be an option. You can of course rent, be be prepared for that also being expensive.

Finding a job can be tough, and will be almost impossible if you don't speak Norwegian. Also be aware that unemployment has just started to rise in Norway, so the competition for work will probably be getting tougher in the months ahead. It will be tough to survive here without a job whilst you look for one. Stavanger was just ranked as the third most expensive city in the world (I think it was 3rd at least).

What sort of scientific job are you thinking about?

My degree is Pharmacology but I also spent a year working in Forensic Toxicology.

I currently work as a PA

I would imagine you could put your Pharmacology degree to use. I work across the road from GlaxoSmithKline's innovation centre.

Nycomed also has facilities outside Oslo

Are you coming to London anytime soon. If so, please let me know as I would love to meet up with you and have a chat.

hi my name is Karim from Algeria im fiance i would like to meet a new friends in norway i will reach to norway in 10 month and i want to have some information and need the help when i will be there thank's every body for help me , i already prepaire my trip
i would appreciate any pointers people might have for me in this respect
take care

inter007 wrote:

hi my name is Karim from Algeria im fiance i would like to meet a new friends in norway i will reach to norway in 10 month and i want to have some information and need the help when i will be there thank's every body for help me , i already prepaire my trip
i would appreciate any pointers people might have for me in this respect
take care

might help if you explained what kind of help/pointers you're looking for.

Good morning to everyone. I'm a new member in this forum. Please, friends and well wishers who live in Norway can send me a message here or add me as a friend. I wish to inquire about living and working in Norway. I am a Nigerian resident in Malaysia and just completed my Msc degree in Electronics and wish to relocate. I desire to live and work in Norway with my wife who is also an Msc degree holder in Occupational Safety and Health Management. Pls, Can you suggest Cities or Universities that are affordable and not expensive for foreigners. I will love to live there on study grounds which I consider perfect for me considering my status as a student here in Malaysia (This is just my views, although I still welcome other suggestions). In addition, on average which city is more affordable and well suited for family with availability of jobs as well? I am more concerned with having a peaceful and decent life with jobs to keep the family going. This is my concern.

Thanks as I look forward to your advise and suggestions.

Regards

Chidiebere