Expected salary calculation

Hi everyone,

This forum has been a huge help so far ;)
I would like to relocate to KL and find a job.

I'm aware of the fact that if someone is looking for a job individually it weakens his position, so probably I can't ask for a lot of money. Right now, I'm trying to calculate the living cost for a decent lifestyle, so I can decide about my expected salary and if it's even worth making the attempt.
I will try to be as specific as I can :)

- for accommodation, I have checked iProperty and it seems that it's possible to find a decent place for RM 2000-2500. Obviously those are not the best places with minimalistic design and flat screen TV, but they seem quite OK to me.

- for utilities (based on Numbeo, I don't know how correct it is...) I calculated ~RM 600 (electricity, water, etc. + mobile + internet). I suppose these are not included in the price of the apartment...

- for groceries ~RM 1500. I like to cook and prefer local food, but occasionally I like to eat in a nice place. I'm not a heavy drinker, just a few beers now and again... Maybe 1500 won't be enough...

- I leave transportation for now, but let's suppose I'll use public transport most of the time, so let's make it RM 300-400. By the way, can someone give me a rough estimate on long-term car rental?

So, if what I wrote is more or less correct, it means that I would need ~5000/month just to survive, anything else has to be added to this (shopping, entertainment, maybe an amount to save :) )
Is this about right? Or am I missing something crucial?

Thanks in advance!

hi, you have clearly done ur research and the expenses you have stated are accurate but a bit conservative for expats :-) but to cut a long-winded story short, id suggest 7k as a minimum salary. anything above that and u can manage.

Yea very well researched.. I agree.. But dear waxxwaeazle.. Are you planning to shift alone? I mean are you single, married? Having kids?
If single then Carlyles suggestion is good.. But if with family then min 10k bro..! If kid needs to be schooled, even more..
Cheers..! n best of luck..

Hi seems ok but entertainment eats up money as kl way too expensive. 2k easy for normal single per month. Some spend a lot more!

transport will be a lot higher and public transport is a disgrace (getting better but bad). 90% of taxi drivers should be jailed imho lol. Terrible compared to all Asian countries.

So you need a car. Wira 1050 rm per month to new Myvi 1350 rm per month. Includes all costs you just fill the tank. For most better than buying if you calculate all costs for yoyo a year. If perm buy after 6 months.

I reckon you will spend 8k min as a single person before medical and travel.

With savings for pension 2k that means 12k gross min salary for young single person.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Yeah, I'm single at the moment, so I'll be alone (at least in the beginning :) ).
I was also thinking about 7-8K (net), but after Nemo's post I'm leaning towards 8-9K... Or maybe try to negotiate some allowances.
Well, let's see what do the employers say about this :)

Best of luck..!
Cheers..! :)

Hi again,

I'm a bit confused regarding serviced apartments, can someone explain these (iProperty):
Built-Up:840 sq. ft.
Rental Price:RM 2,000
Rental Price psf :RM 2.97
Maintenance Fee:RM 0.2 per s.f.

If the rental price is 2.97/sf, that would mean 840*2.97=2495...
And what is the maintenance fee? Does the price include the utilities?
So if an apartment is listed for let's say 2-2.5K, are there any hidden costs?

More questions may follow depending on your answers :)

Thanks!

dont fuss on this too much. just look at the rental price. thats what ull pay every month.

And be prepared to pay the security deposit upfront (refundable when you leave the house)..
Cheers..!

there is basically not much difference,only service apartment are better in facilities and usually its newer building and the interior are better,do not expect room service,cheer!!!

Hi

If you wanted to save more, you can consider to rent a room rather than a house. I believe the rental fees for the room in KL is roughly RM 500. It will help you save a lot in this sense.

The rest of the item, I would say you have done your good research on that! Well, things will be cheaper if you have self cook several times in a week rather than eat in the fancy restaurant. In KL, everything is money. A car parked in the parking area would cost you RM 3-5 per hour or even more! But, your life will be more annoying with the public transportation since the buses, LRT services in KL is sucks! I would suggest to get a used car instead of the new car. It will be cost 40-50% less than the new car.

One thing you should take into consideration. Bare in mind, there will be income tax implemented to the foreign worker. The rate is rather high compared to local. Please check out the taxation rate in Malaysia. If possible, request your company to pay for you.

Besides, you need to consider how often you want to fly back to your mother country. This would be added some cost in your living expenses.

Hope you get some idea on my post. Wish you good luck and all the best in your living in Malaysia. As an expat, you need to control your life in People's country. Else, you get nothing besides experience towards the end of the day. Anything you can save, just save it by the way. :)

Hi,

Thanks for your detailed reply August!

Renting a room is out of the question, I need my 'own' apartment/condo. Nothing big or very luxurious, but a decent one which is enough for 1-2 people ;)

Yes, I'm planning to cook myself if I have time, and I'm totally fine with eating cheaper local food (I even prefer it).

I have already got two offers, one in Putrajaya and the other in Mid Valley. I was looking at condos in Seri Kebangan, not far from the KTM station, but I'm still hesitating if renting/leasing a car wouldn't be a better decision... I don't want to spend too much on transportation, but the thought of a car which is always available is soothing :) Well, I'll have to do some research on the costs of renting/leasing, maybe someone who has already done it can give me some advice.
I would also appreciate if someone could recommend good areas which are well connected with these two by public transport and it's possible to find decent, fully furnished (well, at least with a bed...) condos for about 2-2,5K (or less :D).

I know that the income is taxed (26% in the first 180days and adjusted after that if I'm right), I'm trying to negotiate a net salary and have the company take care of the taxes if possible.

Fingers crossed :)

A Proton Saga will cost you about 1600 RM per month rental. If this helps you to decide if you need a car or not..!
Cheers..!

Hi

If you are planning to have your own transport, please come into account of your monthly fuel expenses. Averagely, RM 200-300 of the fuel expenses needed for a normal working people in the KL area in a month. Besides, you need to check whether are there any tol from your house to the working area(I am not the KL people, I don't know about the tol condition in the area you stay). As I know, there are lots of tol in KL area and you need to pay for the tol once you get through it. It will come to a sum if you pay it daily.

Proton Saga with RM 1600.00 rental monthly is rather expensive. As the money you pay is not worth for the quality you have. Get an used car or get a new local car. At least you own a car toward the end of the day.

Finger crossed to you! Welcome to Malaysia!