Considering job in Nairobi

I am considering to take up the job in Nairobi,kenya for employment purpose. Would like to know details on the cost of living/ educational /medical facility/safety environment etc..

how much ksh shall be sufficient per month to lead a decent living for a couple and a kid...

Will play schools available for 2 and 4 year kids in Nairobi?
What is the education cost for kids?
Can we get Indian food in Nairobi?

response shall be highly appreciated..

how much ksh shall be sufficient per month to lead a decent living for a couple and a kid...
Between 120 and 160 000 Kshs (all inclusive - rent, school)

Will play schools available for 2 and 4 year kids in Nairobi?
Yes, there are plenty of Kindergarten in Nairobi... and schools

What is the education cost for kids?
Expensive, between 30 000 to 45 000 Kshs per trimester (I think)

Can we get Indian food in Nairobi?
Yes, Indian are everywhere :) read a bit about Kenyan history and you will see that Indians have been here for more than a century.

Hi Peperuka,

Thanks for your reply. I will negotiate with my employer and will let you know, if i need any help further.

Thanks

We have our grandaughter in nursery school and pay around ksh 35000 per trimester for 5 mornings a week.  More expensive if we want the school bus to pick her.  Thats in Thika.  Good schools are costly!

Rent maybe Ksh 65000 upwards (am a bit out of date here as we have bought). 

Medical:  often included as a 'perk' from your employer.  If not, then at least in-patient cover strongly recommended.  Medical bills can escalate very quickly if hospitalised for any reason.

Safety:  Areas such as Westlands, Lavington, Kileleshwa are some of among the better (having had personal experience of all three).  When out and about, just take care, be observant and don't wander around on your own at night for example.

I agree with the previous post about the monthly budget.  Expenses can be kept down by shopping for fruit and veg at markets, rather than supermarkets.

Hope this helps.