Question about getting driver's license

... not in Saudi, but in Bahrain.

We are moving from Paris to Jubail in a few months. I know that women aren't allowed to drive in the Kingdom, so I was wondering if it is possible for me to try to pass my license in Bahrain if I have a Saudi residence permit. Can anyone please shed some light on the issue?

I have a still-valid driving license from Qatar, but since I am no longer a resident there I don;t think I can just exchange it for a Bahrain one... can I?

I believe you can drive in any country within the gulf with a Qatari D/L. This applies to all Gulf countries. I used to drive in Oman with a Saudi D/L in 1991/2 without anmy hassle whatsoever.

Thanks for the info, musicman! The idea of being able to drive in Bahrain makes me less constricted already :)

Sounds crazy but I'm really looking forward to moving to Saudi Arabia, although I know there will be a loooooot of adjustments. Anyone here from Jubail? Am curious to know how life is over there.

Musicman, just a follow-up question: you mean I can still use my Qatari license in the GCC till 2012 (its expiration date) even though we left Qatar in 2008 and I've been living in Paris ever since and no longer have a Qatar residence permit but instead a Saudi residence permit?

Sorry, just want to get all the details on this topic so as to not get into trouble!

You should check the expiry date on your driving license or to way to prolong it.. I am sure it is valid in all Arabic countries.

Yay, that's cool! Thank you for the feedback, aticus!

If you have a driver's license from your home country...and it's valid, no need to have a Bahraini license.

As I live in Jubail...please feel free to ask anything and everything you wish about the area.  I am also familiar with all of the great shopping and eating places in nearby Damman.

If you want, go ahead and PM me your email address for easier chatting.

Need infor on jubail compounds and schools...planning to relocate..family of 5...facilities, rents,,,