Belize drivers license

Hello Everyone, We are planning to move to Belize later this year and was wondering if we buy a vehicle in Belize would we need to get a Belizean drivers license before we become citizens? Also, how do we get the vehicle insured?

Your stateside license will be OK here. You can get insurance from any of the local brokers. We got our insurance here in Belmopan and it was very cheap.  BTW, if you are driving down, you can get temporary insurance at the border. You will be better served to drive a vehicle down here or ship one from the US to Belize.  The used car market here is not good.  Many of the cars for sale here are real junkers.

We bought a 1999 Jeep Cherokee in Florida and had it shipped.  The shipping only cost us $600.00 and the duty was about $1500.00 BZ or $750.00 USD. It was a lot better than buying a $10,000.00 BZ junker down here.

Thanks Robby

You're welcome Rick. BTW, you should check autotrader.com and look for used cars in your area. Check them out and find a car that is cheap and easy to maintain. I recommend getting a 4X4, long wheelbase, SUV with standard roll up window and manually adjusted seats. Mileage won't matter as long as it is mechanically sound. You need something that you won't mind trashing, because the roads down here are just roads in name only. Here is what I wrote last year, about the roads in Belize: http://joycesaysdoit.com/2012/06/30/the … in-belize/

Do not get me wrong, this is a wonderful country and I really like it here, but the roads are the worst in Central America!

We bought our jeep for just 1800 bucks from a repo site. It is far better than anything down here, unless you want to spend a lot of money for a new car. Stay under 6 cylinders if you can, because you will get a break in the duties for vehicles under 8 cylinders. The long wheelbase will help in absorbing the bumps.

Can you please reply with the shipping company that you used to ship your vehicle to belize.

Thanks,

Hi there dqtester,

This thread is from 2013, your chances of getting a response form that particular member is thin.

Better you participate on more recent threads in the following category : Tips for moving to Belize. There are some threads relevant to your questions.

All the best
Bhavna