Public beaches in Bahrain

I am quite interested to know your experiences on public beaches in Bahrain. It fascinates me to know that Bahrain, despite being an island, is not known for its beaches and whoever I speak to, they say there aren't many of them.

Since the boiling summer months are approaching, I would like to know which public beach in Bahrain you prefer to visit and why?

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers.

In the summer, I go to Bahiran Saling Club for kayaking.  Its exclusive for members only, so... maybe I can invite you once to see it, if you haven't seen it yet

It's quite, clean and with good services, my kind of place.
:)

Search for Jazair Beach Ave, you will find it

:)

Hi all,

Al Jazeera beach is the biggest public beach in Bahrain.
It's located very close to Zallaq, where the F1 circuit (BIC), the Bahrain University, The Soffitel Hotel are.
You will find some indication when you get close to the BIC.

It's a little crowdy on weekends when the weather is nice but unfortunately it's often very dirty as no one is taking his garbage back :(

On Google Earth, enter the following coordinates :
Latitude : 26° 0'12.29"N
Longitude :  50°28'18.71"E
You will be right in the middle of it :p
Go a little up North to find the Sailing Club

The Sailing Club is the next beach on the North. It's private (but cheap if I remember well it's like 4 Bhd per person).

Amwaj has also its share of public beaches, even if most of Amwajis think that those beaches are THEIR beaches :p

The government is also developing nice sea borders for the bahrainis.
There are parking lots, toilets, kid activities. Not sure bikinis are welcome but you sure can have a round there as it is quite nice. The best I know is in Budayia village, after Sheikh Mohammad's castle but you have plenty, there is also one in Diraz for instance.

If you are a little more adventurous, you can also go to Al Dar island. You take the boat in Sitra and you reach the tiny recently renovated island of Al Dar. It's not free (10 Bhd for an adult - 5 Bhd for kids, boat trip included) but you can have a BBQ, picnic, you have 2 restaurants, bars, you can practise snorkling, pearl diving etc...
It's less "roots" than it used to be 10 years ago but it's still a nice place to spend a good day with friends and / or family.
Some pictures and info HERE.

Cheers

Olivier

Hi Brightonguy,

Check this map please. Beach at mid west of the island. On this map its named as Al Jaza'ir beach.

While driving on highway (Shaikh Jaber A Al Subah Hwy. Which one is Mina Salman - Sitra - Riffa - Zallaq way) after passing Univ.of Bahrain, you will take left from the signal. Then straight till end of the way. When you see the camel sculptures, you'll take left again. First right is sailing club, after club welcome to beach :-)

http://www.hot-map.com/us/bahrain200

Thanks a million Olivier and Ihsan. Really useful and in-depth information. Now, where's my swimming gear? :P

There is a nice Beach in Hidd Area near the Dry Dock

Hi Olivier,
               Are there any services at the Jazeera beach?

Chris

Chrispc wrote:

Hi Olivier,

Chris

Hi Chris

There is really nothing at Jazira Beach unless you pay to go into the Sailing Club next door to it.

We have taken the kids before but it is quite dirty and can get crowded on a Friday - the men wanting to follow my children and take photographs of them puts me off.

I guess it depends what you are looking for.

scottrace wrote:
Chrispc wrote:

Hi Olivier,

Chris

Hi Chris

There is really nothing at Jazira Beach unless you pay to go into the Sailing Club next door to it.

We have taken the kids before but it is quite dirty and can get crowded on a Friday - the men wanting to follow my children and take photographs of them puts me off.

I guess it depends what you are looking for.

Hi all,

I mentioned that it was crowdy on Fridays and not really clean ;p
As far as the picturing the kids is concerned, don't take it wrong, most of the Bahrainis love kids and don't have any bad intentions.
Culturally, it's very different for us of course and if it makes you or your children uncomfortable, just let them know, I don't think they would insist.

To reply to Chris, as Scottrace says, there is quite nothing there. Sometimes a little vendor in a truck sells drinks and fruits but I didn't see him always.

Cheers

Olivier

To be fair its not the Bahraini's and I am fairly sure there are no bad intentions but my kids get pretty scared and even saying "no" every 5 minutes gets tiresome.

Much as it saddens me I do think that to get a decent beach in Bahrain you have to pay.  Very disappointing considering we live on an Island.

Thanks guys, didnt need to go in the end as the apartment next door kindly let me use their pool this weekend while ours is being redone.

Chris