Looking for retirement heaven

Hi

I am a 60 year old American school teacher.  I plan to come to spend the summer.  My goals is to party, research Thailand as a retirement destination, and to find a Thai wife if it works out.  In preparation for the trip, I researched U.S. requirements for bringing back a wife but have no idea how long the visa process is. 

My specific question is how much basic English is spoken by the local population.  Will I have problems getting around  to expatriate gathering places.  Any other advice on the above subjects would be appreciated such as areas to visit, expatriate hangouts etc.

Thanks

pravda 52

Had a friend that tried to export a Thai bride. Very difficult since 9/11. Perhaps things have changed, but the U.S. has become more anal

You should also do some research into visa requirements for yourself.
Thailand has a lot of visa requirements regarding money etc. There are many hurdles to jump each time you have to renew your visa.

My wife is Thai.  Meet her in Thailand.  Just went to US Immigration and filed out papers for fiance visa.  All I had to do was show photos of her and I together in Thailand, my ticket to prove I was there, and her visa was approved straight away.  That was 2005 USA.

Regarding visa for you, just get a 90 day non-O visa.  Tell consulate you are going to look for job as teacher.  You then have 90 days in Thailand to find bride, get job, and convert your 90 day non-O to a work, or better yet married Thai Visa.

Hi, I'm looking if possible to be there IN bANKOK at the end of next month,March.  I'll check with the Thai Embassy here,I'll try for a year long visa.

Please tell me a temporary place(s) that I can stay in Bankok at a reasonable price while I look for an apartment.

What are nice centrally located areas/neighborhoods that you might suggest...

Where do I go and what's the name of the phone company so I can change the chip in my phone,so I can start making local and long dist. calls

How do you get your money from your bank over in the states to Bangkok at an ATM or something to be able to take it out, that doesn't  over charge you? (Chase bank wanted to charge me three percent to take out my OWN money out over there!

Do you guys know the name of a work out gym that doesn't insist on long term contracts?

Thank you very much for the info...As you can imagine time is of the essence.

I'll be looking for friends too!  THANKS!!!

Need to know what you mean by reasonable for temporary place to stay.

Area's to live would be any place along either the subway or sky train routes.  It will make it so much easier to get around town.

You can get a new SIM card for you mobile phone at any 7 Eleven or Family Mart store.  You will have choice between AIS, DTAC and True.  I use AIS and I believe its the biggest mobile service provider.

I think all Thai banks now hit you for 150 baht for any ATM withdraw from foreign bank.  In addition my US bank charges me because out of network withdraw.  For that reason I opened local account with Bangkok Bank and feed it cash with wire transfers a few times a year.

Most places will try and press you to sign long term contract but stand firm and tell them what you want they usually cave.

Hi

Thanks for the info.  I am going to take a 60 day tourist visa that can be extended twice for 30 days each.  I plan to come back to the states within the time period.  I am going to get a letter from mu Congressman.  It was unclear to me once u filed the papers with U.S, Immigration how long it took for your fiance to leave for the U.S.  Also, I was considering getting married in Thailand.  What I understand that if you marry a Thai national there is no need for visas.

Thanks again

pravda52

Pravada52 you need to slow down a bit.  Why would anyone want to find and marry a lady you have only known for a couple months because it will not end good in my opinion.

Check the link below to get an idea of requirements if you are foolishly going ahead with your plan.

http://www.integrity-legal.com/us-visa/ … -visa.html

Also, I was considering getting married in Thailand.  What I understand that if you marry a Thai national there is no need for visas.

If you asking for Visa in Thailand, Yes you still NEED Visa even so you married to a Thai...

But if you meet the requirements for Thai Married Visa Then you can get 1 year Married Visa..

"Thailand marriage visa is the popular term for "One Year Extension of Stay Based on Marriage"

Search google for 2013 Thailand marriage visa requirements