Events in Riyadh

Thought of sharing whatever events we may encounter on the road, in our homes and places of work, malls, etc that may be of interest to the members, on a daily basis.

Let me go first.

While driving to work this morning on the western side of Riyadh I had to take a left at a roundabout behind Maather Street. Suddenly, I found this local driver heading towards me on the same lane. He was actually coming from my left and should have taken the circle but chose not to and was head on towards me. I had to veer to the right to avoid him and be safe. The funny thing about the incident was that he was shouting at me and not the other way around.

You ladies are much safer in the rear seat, I tell you.

hahaha

was he saudi?

of course he was...
its his country, anyways
how can i impose on him to conform to the rules of the roundabout?

musicman
do you think you could have  given "it" back to him?
i would be mad with anger if this had happened to me...
are we supposed to just keep quiet and endure all this shit there?
do I have the right to shout at him and make him take the right path?

No, I didnt do that. My Grandpa taught me when I was a kid to say "You First" to such type of behaviour on the roads while driving and I still do afhere to that piece of advice and it has been of value to me over the years.

The quesdtionthat we must ask is, when will they ever learn?

:-)
I totally agree but I want to know that is it 'expected' from expats to endure such behavior?
Will the police etc. Still blame us if something would have happened? Can we shout back at him and make him do the right thing? Generally what's the norm and do expats have the rights? (eastern expats particularly)

I totally agree but I want to know that is it 'expected' from expats to endure such behavior?

Ish,

I'm sure the Saudi guy didn't realize musicman was an expat and so decided to ignore all traffic rules and drive at him head on!

That guy's just a bad driver and it could just as easily been another Saudi he was running off the road.

Tell you what .. I'll never complain about Saudi drivers again after a week in Cairo :lol:

Key to driving anywhere (admittedly, some places more than others) is to drive defensively!

absolutely, Puddy Tat. Spot on.
if nyou can drive in cauro you can walk on air....

musicman,

if you can even ride in a car or cab in Cairo without having a heart attack, you're way ahead of the game lol

I havent been there yet buit having seen how their people drive in Riyadh alone is enough to scare me away.