7000 RM, on a 2 year contract job

Hi I am being offered 7000 RM per month, with a contract of 2 year, I am having 2.5 years experience in IT. Would like to know if 7000 is right and enough to survive comfortably? I am vegetarian guy, is vegetarian food expensive there?

Thanks in Advance?

If you are alone and have no extra needs, your salary will be enough for a very convenient life.

Hi,

You are having good salary with just that experience, people with more experience are having less salary than you.  Food is not so costly, but being vege you have to find place where you can get good vege food. I am vege & I am struggling for good food. If you cook then good for you.

All the best.

Hi grvsekhri,

You can enjoy more with 7000MYR apart from that u can save upto 3000RM but that totally depends on ur life style.

you can find good vegi restorns with the cost around 4RM,  you can also find Indian famous restorns like SARAVANA BAVAN(10RM)
and ANAND BAVAN(6RM) who offers pure vegi.

Please let me know your office location so i can let u know more.

Hi with only two years experience then salary fair. You can easily spend it all though. As always depends on your lifestyle. Vegetarianism is of course normal for buddhists and fasting Hindus so a wide range of vegetarian food in some areas. Others less so. Some vegetarian food may have seafood sauce for example.

gpmsworld wrote:

Hi grvsekhri,

You can enjoy more with 7000MYR apart from that u can save upto 3000RM but that totally depends on ur life style.

you can find good vegi restorns with the cost around 4RM,  you can also find Indian famous restorns like SARAVANA BAVAN(10RM)

Thanks gpmsworld, here I am mentioning my office address "Great Eastern Life Assurance (Malaysia) Bhd, 303, Jalan Ampang, 50450, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia." Can you please also help me If I can get an apartment Alone/sharing basis near to this office and how is frequency of public transport to my office location?

grvsekhri wrote:
gpmsworld wrote:

Hi grvsekhri,

Thanks gpmsworld, here I am mentioning my office address "Great Eastern Life Assurance (Malaysia) Bhd, 303, Jalan Ampang, 50450, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia." Can you please also help me If I can get an apartment Alone/sharing basis near to this office and how is frequency of public transport to my office location?

Hello, if you work in town, normally people tend to walk. You can consider the studio unit or 1 bedroom unit nearby your office. Normally expat tend to walk due to the heavy traffic, your office the nearest station is Ampang park LRT station, you can consider vista damai or myhabitat (myhabitat - new condo). Hope these info can help you.

hi,

im just curious why some of the people are saying that for example 7000myr you its definitely to live in KL and you can save 3000myr, and the others posting that even 10k myr its not enough? i understand its always depends but can u tell em who is right?? :)
thank you

Hi,
I am software engineer offered a job in KL, Malaysia.
Salary given by my employer is 9000 MYR.
1. what is tax deduction over this salary (is it flat 26% ??)
2. If i will live comfortable, own a 1 bhk apartment over rent, cook by own and weekend entertainment. how much i will spend in this.
3. Approximate cost of good living standard.

Thanks. appreciate your quick response.

7K is a pretty good salary for your experience, and that job.

Your office location is fairly convenient to the LRT (Light Rail Transit) and several buses.

I would recommend you look for housing in Ampang, Ampang Point...plenty of shared housing available in those areas, as well.

Good luck.
^

1. what is tax deduction over this salary (is it flat 26% ??)

Only for the first 183 days that you are in Malaysia.  After that, it's adjusted to the actual resident rate.  After you file your taxes, the following year, you will receive a refund for any amount over paid.

I did.

Thanks for your response.

Is it like that i should be in malaysia for continuous 183 days to get the tax rebate benefit.

u can live handsomely well with 7K.. but it highly depends on your living standards and choice .. " U might be a Vegan..but u might prefer Dome / Italinies  (RM30) instead of a local mamak (RM10) ... U might like the nightlife / Clubbing in ZOUK  on a friday night ( RM421)for a Decent Bottle and potential SPG's ,  instead of a Movie or a cofee in starbucks  ( RM 15) ...U prefer Armani ( RM 500 ) compared to GIORDANO ( RM 50) "

Anyways 7K is pretty much  a standard household income for almost 40% of the Population..

i am coming in malaysia in march, m electrical engineering. n have applied for professioanal visa. i have been working as univ lecturer. so what you think would i be able to get job after how many days of search in general??? in industry preferabl

7000 RM works out as approx 1 lakh rupees in India. In India with 3 years experience one gets one-quarter of that 1 lakh amount as salary. So u are getting almost 4 times of Indian salary. Cost wise KL is similar to Delhi or Mumbai. So go, get it.

RM 7,000 a month puts you in a high middle class income in KL.

If you stay outside of the city centre, you should be able to live comfortably.

This salary report compiled by Jobstreet (a popular job site) will give you an idea of what Malaysian earn.

http://careers.jobstreet.com.my/salary-report

If you are coiming on a Employment Pass then for the first 6 months
The tax will be flat 26% and then you need claim and get your tax retuened/adjusted
After the first six months....

Cost of living is like this...
Shared accomodation i Brickfield: 2000RM u can get a3bhk flat
Food: if ur cooking then 500 for veg if u have it in a veg hotel then max800
Transportation: you can take the LRT which is walkable from Brickfield.
Phone: hotlink 12sen per min
Internet: there are many and I guess "yes" is good

Let me know if you have any questions...

One of the most consistently challenging aspects of contracting in Malaysia is complying with the country's tax system. Whether you're a contractor or a permanent employee, you have to pay tax on all of your earnings whilst you're in the country

so srinirajan your lucky aint have to pay tax in DUBAI

srinirajan wrote:

7000 RM works out as approx 1 lakh rupees in India. In India with 3 years experience one gets one-quarter of that 1 lakh amount as salary. So u are getting almost 4 times of Indian salary. Cost wise KL is similar to Delhi or Mumbai. So go, get it.

I have few clients from India who are vegetarian. They hire a maid to cook at their house once a day and pay for 700/month.

He bought insurance from me for 150-200/month
Rental RM2000/month (house in KL Sentral)
Transportation from KL sentral to Cyberjaya RM14 perday bcos he is using KLIA Express

Hope it helps

Can someone please let me know the gym and supplements expenses as I couldn't find it anywhere. Thanks in advance.

Gym membership depends on the club. The common ones here are fitness first .. True fitness and celebrity fitness.. On average it's around RM 100 to RM 150

* monthly..

Thanks money chaser. And how about the health supplements prices. Is there any website that could give me a rough idea? Thanks!!

I sometimes don't believe the rubbish some people believe! In selangor average salaries about 8 years ago were 7000 RM pm. You can live off that as single but only just.

New Grads earn 2.5 k in KL as they live with parents of 4 share a bedroom. Single staff from my place can just survive in 3-4k only with a bf to pay the rent etc. As a true single impossible or share a bedroom and live badly. Most malaysians stay with family.

Working prof men typically earn 10-20k in most proper jobs after 10 years but most malaysians work for themselves and 25k is considers ok (per month).

Obviously though some earn far less and some far more - but I know many supervisors who earn 12-15k and just survive with wife working as well.

Not too sure dude...i guess it depends on the supplements whether it's imported or locally producer .. A friend of mine takes protein and fat burners from GNC and weider.. He spends around RM 400  for those..I reckon a simple google search might provide you with an answer !!

Hiya

I am a Singapore resident - been here for about 2 and half years...may intend to move to KL..my workplace is in Bukit Damansara near EY office...

My major concern is travel and getting to work..are there reasonably close and nice neighborhoods where I can take a bus towork to? daily cab would not make sense..I feel..

Which areas ..good to live ...good for finding nice restaurants and well connected

Which areas?? Bangsar?? And rents approx for just good functional no frills studios would be about? 1.5k?

Tks

Did you move?where do you live now? and the rents?

Hi Yeskay
Bangsar with 1.5k seems a bit tight if you are planning a furnished accomodation. You will not have any probs in food. As you are form Singapore, you will already be aware of more than half of the cuisines served here..!
Rest other fellow expats may advice you too..
Cheers..!

1,5 to 2k depends...i thought of a studio...can share if needed...thats not an issue...wondering any of these areas...bangsar or brickfield...are connected by a bus to bukit damansara....will be a tough call to take a cab daily...

as long as there is adequate bus service...its fine...any other location connected better by bus to bukit damansara??

thanks !!

which area is this at??

From What I know, Bukit Damansara is close to both Bangsar and Mont Kiara. Both are expensive places to live in. I am not sure about the transport though. Bukit Damansara to Mont Kiara is about 7 kms max. Should not be very expensive to travel in a taxi too.. But yet on daily basis, it eventually might be.
Other connectivities and other suitable places around your work place.. hmmm I will hv to do some research n then come back to you.
Cheers..!

yeskay, i think with ur budget, u should try segambut. a little farther but cheaper is sentul. but a car is a must here if ur worplace is not connected by a train network. unfortunately, urs isnt.

studios here seem to be more expensive, if u compare rm/psf. it wud b better to get a bigger place with a similar amount of rent. there is no lack of supply for space here in kl as compared to singapore :-)

If you are looking at Bangsar or Mont Kiara, it's minimum RM2-3k rental for decent unit.

And staying in those area is very near to Bukit Damansara and there is a lot amenities and restaurants around the area.

But you will require a car to travel to work. Plus point is it is very near to your working place and you can save a lot time on travelling in car especially peak hours.  Your working place is not exactly well connected in terms of public transport other than cabs so having a car saves a lot of hassle.

check out iproperty.com.my for rental rates.

How is MY gennly with respect to work visas..short term. restrictive or not bad?

Sg has been generally good with visas...which means once you have a job, visa is super quick. Have been told it takes longer in MY..but is it generally smooth?

More importantly....is hiring an international an issue?how do employers look@ it? Non IT espp..

Just to get a quick sense..I would suppose they would welcome intl. talent ...

And secondly...how difficult is it for a qualified spouse to get a job? Is it quite tough for the visa reasons..or not really?

Thanks

7k is more than enough

Yeskay..!
Most of your questions will be answered here..!

http://www.imi.gov.my/index.php/en/main … dependants

Cheers..!

So how much do you get for 8 years of experience in MY?

Diazetta
Depends on your field of experience..
Cheers..!

8 years in McDonald's 2.000 rm

8 years accounting 5,000 rm

8 years itc 10-25,000 rm

8 years engineering 15-25,000 rm

Does depend!

8 years in Market Research... (kinda feel par to McDonald)