Relocating from UK to Prague

Hi Fellow members,

My name is Scott and im a 36 year old dual citizaen British/Australian. I have always wanted to live in a foreign country and am currently doing some research on where i should live. I think I identified Czech Republic, Latvia and Lithuania as places I want to live. Having done some reserach on Lithuania I'm not sure if I would be able to adapt. I have tried researching Latvia and cant even find any accomodation websites in English which I think is an immediate concern. Please dont get me wrong as anywhere that I relocate, I will be more than happy to learn the language and even do regular weekly language classes. It is important that I live in a city where there is at least some English spoken. I am now trying to deicde where the best place is for me to relocate.

My situation is that I currently work in Corporate Sales, Telesales. As I currently work from home it would be fine for me to do the same job that I do now only instead move and work from home in Prague.

I have the following questions though and wondered if anybody might be able to offer me some advice.

1) As I work for a British Company but would be living in Prague for a minimum of a year ( I believe there is a 183 day rule for taxation ) does that mean that my company in the UK would have to pay me in the Czech republic and pay my tax there or would they continue to pay me in my Bank account in the UK and I would just bring money over as and when required?

2) I want to live as close to the centre of Prague as possible, but also want to consider cost of rent. Could anyone please offer the following advice. If I want a furnished 1 bedroom flat or studio flat eitehr Prague 1 or Prague 2 does anyone have any idea of average monthly rent. Also monthly Bills Summer/Winter.

3) Other than Prague 1 and Prague 2 are there any other good areas that might be cheaper to rent but still have the following convenience, close to Bars or Clubs, Supermarkets, Good Bus/Train links to the Centre etc...It is importantt that it is also a nice area to live as dont want to live anywhere that there is trouble.

4) As I do Telesales and would be required to phone UK Companies all day everyday could anybody advise if there are any good phone companies that offer cheap calls to the UK and perhaps might offer unlimited calls or pay per so many minutes etc.

5) Any names of companies that provide good Internet, having said that im guessing that there are companies that offer phoen/internet packages?

6) Cost of living, everyday grocery costs...

7) Any accomodation websites, preferably in English.

8) I am also be interested in learning the local language if you could advise how easy or difficult this might be. Perhaps you could share from your own experiences?

9) Is it easy for a British person to rent an apartment?

10) Is it easy to open a Bank account?

Also Im sure there are questions I havent even thought of yet. If there is any advice that you can offer then I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Scott

Hello Scott,

Maybe you should create a new thread for each question you have on forum Prague. Which will be easier for our members to answer.

Melissa

Melissa,

Thanks for the advice... Yes you make total sense... I will resubmit each individual question as a seperate Topic as it will be much easier for people to respond.
Thanks
Scott