What are the most popular weekend travel destinations?

As I understand it, short trips to nearby countries are quite popular with the expat community in Saudi. I hope to be joining you soon and I was wondering what some of the more popular destinations are for two to four day trips. What can be done and how expensive is it? Thanks!

Stationary Fantasies watermark could be a suitable place for enjoyment. Other place could be conrniche. that's all what I know.

Hey we are planning a trip to Dubai - will let you know how that works out - if all goes well we want to include the other neighbouring places. Will let you know about visas / good travel sites for cheaper tickets etc and other requirements. We are the guinea pigs lol. Have a great day :)

I don't think it's easy for the expats to travel around the gulf. I think you have to get a Visa or something like that! That's what my teacher said so!
Best wishes.

Ramon,

Ramon1990 wrote:

I don't think it's easy for the expats to travel around the gulf. I think you have to get a Visa or something like that! That's what my teacher said so!
Best wishes.

Ramon,

Depends on what passport you have. I have a blue passport from the USA and have a multiple entry visa for Saudi so all I need is to get on a plane and arrive for example in Dubai and fill out a visa right there at the airport or fly to Europe and just show my passport and I get free entry automatically. It really depends on your citizenship.

TexasPilot wrote:

Depends on what passport you have. I have a blue passport from the USA and have a multiple entry visa for Saudi so all I need is to get on a plane and arrive for example in Dubai and fill out a visa right there at the airport or fly to Europe and just show my passport and I get free entry automatically. It really depends on your citizenship.

Thats 100% true...... i remember when i used to travel with my lebanese passport i had to apply for visa or wait at dubai's airport for hours,although am an arab like them.. however now with my italian passport, i go where ever i want and get my visa at the airport and arab countries show more respect ahahhaha

If you want to travel, i would suggest Yanbu. We went there last week and had a lot of fun in Royal commission area. They have nice beach, good for camping and great swimming area.

Also good parks with play areas specially if you have kids. You can also go on boat ride which is lot of fun.

Does anyone know if Bahrain is worth a visit for couple of days to experience a bit of freedom ,joy and laughter for expats.

Yes. That's where Saudis go to relax and have fun. My boss here is a Saudi national and told me many places to go in Bahrain.

If you want to jump to a nearby country there you go:

Last year i went to Egypt for the weekend it was Fantastic but i do not reccomend Egypt now, it cost approx 5000 Riyals i stayed in a suite!  Egypt can be expensive and inexpensive, depends on your habit of expenditure!

in January 2011 i went to Ethiopia it's only 2:45 hours away from Jeddah, it was a great experience and a lovely country, Tickets are very cheap on the Ethiopian Airlines, Hotels are cheaper, but i rented a villa in a really nice place, it was very cheap too! the food and nightlife are so cheap that would drive you crazy!

Dubai - Bahrain - Qatar are a strong reccomendation if you want to have real fun and spend alot.

Traveling to the gulf states pretty much depends on your passport, as far as i know UK-EU, USA passports and Australians are allowed entry for 20 days to 30 days i think, other nationalities need to check with the mentioned country's consulate

Traveling within Saudi is fun too! we used to goo to Madain Saleh, close enough to Medina, you can discover some history there, or just go to Yanbu or Thuwal enjoy some beaches or just go camping in Khaleej Salman!

You work for KFSH? i bet you live where i work! in Khalidiya? is that correct?

It is nice to know you all! lets plan a trip!

If you hold a western country passport OR hold a professional (doctor/engineer/manager) Iqama, you can get visa on arrival at all GCC countries.

For ppl in Jeddah, i would recommend visiting Jordan (visa on arrival for certain nationals only) & Syria. These are two very beautiful countries and extremely VFM (value for money) locations. Syria (visa on arrival only for Arab nationals, arrange for visa before hand if you are not one) has the kind of charm that India has. Not fully developed, mystical & mysterious at times.

UAE/Bahrain have the development, modern luxuries, shopping malls etc. Oman has an amazing coast with real (and natural) beaches, not the mud/stone beach that you find in saudi or artificial ones of UAE, lots of greenery etc.

We have been to Jordan / Syria and liked it so much that we visited again. UAE/Bahrain have been done a few times, but we liked Oman more and are planning another visit in the near future. But we are road travellers and have travelled to all these countries by road which gives us a better feel of the place and more interactions with people, although it takes more time and stresses out most people(the driving part), but we love it.

cheers
Vicks