Cuenca: getting there and living there

Single sixties guy leaving Kerrville, Texas for Cuenca Decemberish; three month scouting trip; find a First Year Apartment, etc.  Then send for the dishes.  May I ask a couple of questions?

Getting There:  Anyone have any intel on preferred US departure cities? Or airlines?  Looks like the route is San Antonio/Miami/Quito/Cuenca.  Or San Antonio/New York, etc. Perhaps LAX? Any reason to choose one vs another? Is LAN good?  (Safe.)

Is the Quito/Cuenca leg a bus? or a plane?

Tentatively plan to carry 90-days worth of clothes and have in the baggage hold of the plane a 100# crate of books, kettlebell, etc. Is the cost (or another consideration) so prohibitive that I should forget the crate?

Living There:  The quite-stylish Cuenca CD convinced me I could find a serviceable, clean furnished 1BDR apartment for maybe $350 per month, and that a total monthly budget of, say, $1600 would provide a pretty nice lifesyle.  Yeah, I know, one guy's nice is another guy's scruffy...but is that reasonable?

Will buy an adult beverage of your choice at the venue of your choice if you reply.

Dick

I would look at landing at Guayaquil,  You can rent (in advance) a van for about $80 and it will pick you up at the airport and take you to where you are staying in Cuenca.

If this is just a scouting trip, not sure I would pay all the extra for books etc.  I would bring a laptop and electronic reader. 

Not sure what you mean by 90 days worth of clothes.  There are laundries here in Cuenca that wash, dry and fold the same day.

I would say that $1,600.00 USD will allow you to have a nice lifestyle here.  Not sure on this, but a furnished place may cost about $400 or so a month.

HTH,

Mike

It's definitely better to fly into Guayaquil if the cost is comparable to Quito.  Why?  Because most flights into Quito arrive too late to connect to Cuenca the same day, forcing an overnight stay then schlepping your bags right back to the airport the next day.  In Guayaquil you have a better opportunity to keep going.

As far as routes, there's always the cost vs. convenience factors to consider.  LAN has a nonstop flight from JFK to Guayaquil & Copa a one stop in Panama City.  But it seems a bit counter intuitive to fly north to go south.

If you do go to Quito forget about taking a van to Cuenca.  It's about a 7 hour drive.  From Guayaquil it's only 3 hours.

I'd ship the crate of books later with the rest of your stuff if you decide to live here.  Less is more when you're only here a short time.

Your budget numbers are reasonable, and a single guy would honestly have a great lifestyle for $1600.  I'd recommend finding temporary quarters and choose more permanent accommodations "on the ground" instead of over the internet.

Mike/Edd:

Hope I get to shake your hands and thank you in person for your fulsome replies, which add two items to the To Do List: secure temporary (hotel)residence PRIOR to departure and find van operator.  Plus valuable airplane intel.  And, scrub the crate, bring the Kindle.  Excellent; thanks.    Dick

I flew LAN and had a great experience. My husband flew American and it was so-so. LAN allowed 2 checked bags, a carry-on and a personal bag. They saw I was flying alone with a child and checked all the bags for me plus my carseat. I would love that drinnk but unfortunately I'm in Quito. Also, I agree with eddstaton. $1600 will go a long way here. Especially if you get an apartment at that price. I'm paying more for a furnished place and should still come in somewhere around there for the 2 of us ( me and my son).

Use Operazuaytur if you're taking a van from Guayaquil to Cuenca.  $12/person one way.

Hello,

I was going to answer your post but the other replies already did it for me and in the same way.

Once you're in Cuenca and if you like it, let me know and I can help you with advise about your moving if you decide Cuenca is the right place for you.

Vinny

Say, Bartender!

Bring Vinny here whatever he wants!

Edd, Mike an Nards already have theirs.

(Translation: thanks for replying)

PS:  I assume I can find you on this forum?  This particular thread will be long buried when I get there in November +/-.

Yes, I will be around.

You can find my profile and send me a message.

Or just use my email: goecuador@hotmail.com

Vinny