Visiting Cuenca for 6 months and welcoming help

Hi! My family, consisting of my husband, our 19 year old son and our 3.5 year old daughter are planning on spending 6 months in Cuenca to investigate the possibility of moving there. I am hoping to connect with some people already living there and hoping to get some resources in terms of finding a place to live etc.

Love to hear from you!
Sheryle

Sheryle, hats off to you.  That's a bold move and a LONG visit with a family.  Just as others helped my wife & I when we were in your position, we'll assist you any way we can.  When are you coming?

Welcome to Expat.com, Sheryle :)
I'll move your topic to the new Cuenca forum so that it can reach people already there.

Thanks for the warm welcome and the offer to assist. Our target arrival date in Quito is Nov. 1st and then spend a couple of days there, continuing on to Cuenca around Nov.5th. I'm unsure how long our 19 year old son, Denton will stay, but he sees it as an adventure, as we do. If he can find some friends and have a social life I think he'll really enjoy it. We have lived overseas before, in Barbados but never with a preschooler, so this should be interesting. That is one of the first questions I have; how easy is it to find appropriate child care and does anyone have any recommendations? I'm also looking for a 3 bedroom, furnished apartment close to downtown if possible, or within a 10 minute walk.

Ed, my husband, Richard and I  would really appreciate the opportunity to chat with you and your wife on Skype if that is possible, or else we'd be happy to call on a land line. I've read so much about Cuenca and we'd just really like some feet on the street advice and someone to bounce our ideas off to see if we're able to avoid some of the pain! :/

Thanks!
Sheryle

Hello Sheryle!

Welcome to Expat-Blog! :)

Hopefully, someone will respond back to you soon on the child care issue.

In regard with your search for accommodation, i would recommend that you post an advert under Cuenca classifieds (Category- Accommodation).

It might be useful.

All the Best!

Regards,
Sheetul

Sheetul,

Thanks for your help, I will post the ad today! :)
Sheryle

I sent you a private message but am unsure if it went through.  Please let me know.

Hi Sheryle!

It's fun to see someone with children thinking about moving here! We just had our first baby here in Cuenca on Sept 5th. My husband is from Cuenca and we have many friends who have young children. One has a two year old who goes to daycare and they rave about the woman who takes care of their son.

I would love to meet up with you when you're here! Please feel free to message or email me and we can talk more.

My husband also helps foreigners living in Cuenca with navigating the system in Spanish (since he is bilingual) and can help you find a place to live that is in a good sector and not over priced. Here is his web page if you're interested facilitatorscuencaecuador.blogspot.com/

Becca,

Congratulations on your new arrival! I hope you're not too sleep deprived; every baby is different and I hope you have one that sleeps like a log. Thanks for your message; I would love to connect with you when we arrive. I'm so glad you contacted me; finding child care has been my biggest stressor about the whole thing so it would be wonderful to have some input.

We have actually moved our arrival date to October 30th, so it's coming fast. We're considering renting a family sized room at Villa Nova until we find an apartment etc. but we're not sure how long it will take to find a place etc. I may be interested in Arturo's services; I know my husband Richard was speaking with someone already but don't know if they've gotten anywhere.

Any pearls of wisdom on anything I should bring with me that you can't get in Cuenca? Any other tips are welcome! I look forward to speaking with and meeting you. If you'd like to Skype before I get there, let me know and we can set up a time that is convenient for you (new mom trumps all schedules!)

Sheryle

I have a free 14 page HELPFUL FACT SHEET

(Moderated, No free advertising, Please)

Hi Sheryle,

I'm sorry it has taken so long for me to reply, we've had a busy couple of days with baby!

I will get the name of the woman who watches our friend's 2 year old. They really do say wonderful things about her. She watches the children in her home, cooks them home cooked meals, and makes sure that they mind their manners. She only has a few children and Sofia (our friend) says it is much more like their son goes to stay with his grandmother than a daycare. I will have to ask some of our other friends with young children where they send their kids, but Sofi really has raved about this woman so she came to my mind first. I could invite Sofi to coffee as well, as she and her husband Jaime Enrique speak some English, she could probably tell you about her experience with child care personally!

I don't know anything about Villa Nova, but we have put families up in Casa Ordonez before. They have good rates, are in an excellent location, speak English, have amazing customer service, and I would highly recommend you check them out! Their website is casa-ordonez.com/. I believe they are willing to work with you for long-term stay rates, so I would ask about that.

Arturo can help you find an apartment. He recently helped another expat couple find an rental house that is in a wonderful location. He helped negotiate for the landlord to pay 60% of any unnecessary home improvements that the couple would want to do, and they would pay 40% (this is basically unheard of here). He also helped negotiate a long-term rental rate since they will be renting for 2+ years. I would encourage you guys to at least talk to Arturo before you decide to rent and I would encourage you to PERSONALLY LOOK at the houses before you choose where you want to live. Also have in mind how much you would like to pay per month not including utilities so you have a number to bargain with when you look at houses...

Pearls of wisdom... that's so hard because what people miss and wish they would have brought with them from home are so different for everyone! I"m from Seattle and I miss our funky coffee shops and amazing roasted coffee beans. I also miss bagels, which you can't get here. Those things would have been hard to bring from home! ;o) I had my mom bring us things like toothbrushes, deodorant, and toothpaste from Costco because the importation taxes are so high here that some of these items (for the really nice products that is) are pretty expensive (for what they are). You obviously can find cheap versions that don't cost an arm and a leg, but when you're stuck on a product you're stuck on it! I would say deodorant would be one for me... I love a certain brand and it works for me and it's like $5 per stick here... But, really, for the most part you can find just about everything here and I wouldn't weight your suitcase down with too much. Things like spices for baking (people don't bake a lot here... someone told me they were bringing sugar back with them because the sugar here is different), or spices for cooking, teas you really like, those are the things I'd bring. But I think you'll find that really, you can find almost anything here.

Oh, and as far as books are concerned, you can buy books online on Amazon and have them shipped to you in Ecuador without taxes. There are NO import taxes on books. Or there is also a local book shop that sells books in English.

I hope this helps a bit. I would be free to Skype tomorrow at some point if you are free. My husband is out of town so I have tomorrow pretty free, I just about to worry about the baby. Any time after 10am my time works for me and my Skype name is r.l.garate. I will be on and just IM me when you are online and we can chat!

Your move date IS coming up soon! Best of luck with packing and sorting our what you're bringing and what doesn't quite make the cut!

Un abrazo y hablamos pronto!
Becca

hi,

Cuenca is a great place to be, to meet people id try the expat bars on the main strip in the old town...

hope that helps,
Domenick

Becca, I just noticed your comment on coffee beans.  Are they available?  We usually grind our beans for fresh coffee every day.  Are there good selections or limited?

Becca and Domenic, Thanks for your responses and thoughts; they are much appreciated! We are now in Quito and will be arriving in Cuenca tomorrow so I will be in touch Becca.

Thanks again and I appreciate you taking the time to respond!
Sheryle

Regarding coffee beans - YES - they are available here. I prefer beans from Loja, but there are many other coffee producing regions, including the Galapagos. Coffee is generally less than $3 per pound.

Hi - saw your posting and wanted to follow up.  I am also moving to Ecuador for six months next year (two trips of three-month length) as my fiance lives there and we'll be living there half the time, and hear in the US half the time.  I've been there twice as well, and would be happy to answer any questions you may have (if I can)!

Be in touch!
-Megan

Megan,

Thanks so much for your message. We have been in Cuenca now for 5 weeks and are settling in nicely. My biggest frustration is my lack of Spanish but I'm working to remedy that with lessons.

I will certainly contact you with any questions I may have and I appreciate you reaching out!

Have a great day.
Sheryle

Sheryle,

I found a really helpful site too and the gentleman running the site lives in Cuenca.  It's ecuadorcentral.com

He has some very helpful audios on line too and can assist with everything. 

I myself am a single parent and moving there with my daughter who's 4.  We have two other families who are going to make the move with us so that is helpful too.  Hope to see you there and possibly set up some play time with our kids!

Monica

For a short term place to stay, I would recommend Hotel Americano.  I spent a month there in Sept-Oct and was delighted with the place.  It is a small, but tidy residential type hotel located just 9 blocks (about a 15 minute walk)north of el centro.  The owner, Lala, makes really good deals on extended stays.  You can check it out at [email protected] .  Meals are available as well.

Hello,

It sounds like you may have already solved your housing situation but if you are still looking for rentals in Cuenca, I can help.

We have a good selection of properties and currently have a few short term options available.  You can find more information on me, my company and Cuenca at the links below.

cuencacondos.com/

cuencacondos.com/blog/

I hope this helps.  Please contact me if I can help you while you are here.

Regards,

Benjamin

Benjamin, your posting was very helpful - thank you!  Many of the apartments looked like they would work out.  Would any of them work for a three-month lease?  I am extremely likely to extend that to a year, but I'm not yet completely sure and would need a shorter-term option to begin with.  Let me know.

Anything in the $300-400 range would work.  I need a place starting February 1st.  My husband is in Cuenca now and can view the apartment for us.

Thanks again for your help.

-Megan

Megan,

We do have places in the $300 to $400 range but with short term your options are more limited and a bit more expensive.  Are you interested in furnished or unfurnished rentals?

Here are a few that might work.

Furnished One Bedroom - 12 months
This one might be available shortly after you arrive. 
cuencacondos.com/0010.htm

Furnished 2 Bedroom that is available short term - 4 months
Available Now
cuencacondos.com/0057.htm

I think there are a couple more that are not on the website yet.  If you email me I will be happy to send the links once they are up.

Regards,
Benjamin
[email protected]

Hi Benjamin, just to let you know that free advertising is not allowed on the site.

Thank you for your comprehension,
Christine

Dear Christine,

I was trying to help Megan by giving her the information she requested.  Based her responses on this thread and others, I think that I succeeded. 

What are the rules on posting links to information that was requested by other Expats?  Should I only send them in private messages so no one else can see them? 

Best Regards,

Benjamin

Yes, I would like to advise everyone especially expats to beware of scams, over-inflated prices and price gouging. Unfortunately there are a few bad apples out there especially former expats whom are capatalizing and exploiting this beautiful city to their agenda.
Beware and take everything with a grain of salt. I am a retired Public service employee myself and have nothing to gain except a friendship. You can email me for a sincere responce. I will filter any misinformation thank you.

(moderated: please note that free advertisement is not allowed on the site. Thank you)