60ish single female

Hi what sort of advice would you give a 60 ish single woman moving to Equador?  I am thinking of Cuenca but would there be a better place to go?

Hi and welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I hope other members will be able to advise you.

Wish you good luck.

All the best.
Christine

Hi There,

I too am a single lady in my sixties and have been to Cuenca. However I was not alone , my girlfriend was with me . I did walk around the streets of Cuenca on my own and never encountered any problems. Everyone was very polite.

I loved Cuenca and the mountains, breathing in the freshness of the air was exhilarating.   Unfortunately I suffer from a fear of heights , and while I found the mountains breathtakingly beautiful I could never live there.  The ride through the mountains left me terrified . Sadly I'm afraid I could not live in the mountainous region.

I am planning on returning to Ecuador within the next couple of months, and will be travelling on my own. I am going to check out the coastline.  Stay in touch, maybe we could meet up sometime .

I am a 51 year old woman with a cat.  I am torn between Costa Rica and Ecuador.  One of my main concerns is cost.  I love that Ecuador has so many beautiful natural regions and those wild Galapagos Islands!!  i just want to feel safe and then venture out further.  I am not scared of heights - I'm from Idaho for God's sake!  ha!  IT is nothing but drop offs and raging rivers!

Any advice on Cotacinci - or whatever that little town is?  Would like to teach English, too.  Not hungry for crowds.

Thank you!!

Sounds interesting.  I am not afraid of heights after being raised in the mountains.  My main concerns are with health care and affordability.  Also the safety of where to live on my own.  Saoirse perhaps we could meet up and chat.  Rakututu, have you found a place yet?

Please excuse my ignorance but what is the highway like from the airport in Cuenca to the heart of the city?  Is it narrow, winding, and have cliffs making it really dangerous.  Or why did Saoirse mention the mountain ride?  I plan to move to Cuenca but I am also afraid of heights to a certain extent.  Do you have to drive/ride through the mountains from the Cuenca airport to the city?

Hi Summersmist, :)

If you have more questions, i suggest you to start a new topic on the Cuenca forum. Thank you very much.

trying to tie up things here - got a great prop management company - my tenants have driven me off the edge!  and trying to make sure I have enough cash.. god it's tough...  almost there, though!!

I am a 62-ish male, retired physician. I am also interested in the response to your question.

Hay yall,
Jack here from arkansas, retired 65 year old trucker. I solved all my problems by meeting a ecuador resident from guayaquil on a spanish love connection. she is a very nice retired school teacher age 61 who has been divorced. I am looking forward to spending 3 months with her as i learn spanish, maybe feb 2012.

Personally I love the coast -- I live near Salinas.  And if you are worried about hot and humid, well currently I have my windows open and am enjoying the cool winter breezes...but will need to close the windows as it gets chilly towards midnight.  You really have to come "try it on" to get the feel for Ecuador.  And since it is a small country with an ability to fly into most of the major cities -- easy to get a feeling for various places.

The ride from Guayaquil to the coast is 90 minutes on new highways over rolling farmland.  I do suggest traveling by day as at night the farm animals like to wander out to the asphalt where the heat of the day warms them -- and meeting a sleeping 600 pound cow at 60 mph is not a good way to start your visit.

Hi All
Do any of you know about the medical insurance in Ecuador?  Is there someone that I could talk to?  I am still planning to go in the New Year and need to clarify a few matters. 
I have a dog and are there any restrictions in bringing in a dog?
Thanks

Hi getting there!

I would suggest you to start a new thread on the Cuenca forum for better visibility!

Regards
Armand

Hello,

Thank you for allowing me to become part of this forum

I am a healthy, 61 yr old female and retired. I have been planning for 2 years on moving to Cotacachi but my heart wants to move to the coast.

I'm coming down in late September to take some Spanish immersion classes in Octavalo (near Cotacachi) and then rent for while in Cotacachi or maybe the coast. I don't want to disrespect these Ecuadorians by making them learn English. After all, I'm moving to their country! Any suggestions on coastal cities would be appreciated. I was looking at Manta.

I know that this is not on the same subject....
Can you purchase "distilled water" in gallons? I've heard that you can only get it in quarts. I use 5 gallons a week.

Hello,

I'm a recently retired university professor who is thinking of moving to Cuenca from the US in 2012.  My challenge now is to sort out conflicting information regarding the pensioner visa.  In particular, I need to know whether I can apply on a 90 day tourist visa while in Ecuador, and what documents I need to bring to avoid a return trip to the US.  I of course will have a valid passport, and can bring financial documents, but broader questions such as birth certificate, health records, notarization and translation into Spanish are uncertain.  Advice appreciated! [email protected] (Peter Nelson, Oregon, USA)

Is there anytime of year on the Coast of Ecuador that it becomes extremely humid & hot?  I have been to Ecuador but never got to the coast.

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Beverly Hill

Recent Post:
    "I'm a recently retired university professor who is thinking of moving to Cuenca from the US in 2012."

I am not yet in Ecuador but have spoken to the folks at the embassy in Newark.  No extra visa is needed for 90 days.  To stay for six months, you need to apply for a visa either here or there.  You need documentation, birth certificate and drivers license, in Spanish and apostilled (certified by the Department of State).
  If you are going to apply for a pensioners residency, they also require an apostilled Spanish document verifying your income or your investment in Ecuador. plus a health certificate certifying that you are free of HIV, AIDS and TB, marriage certificate, birth certificate and drivers license,etc.  and you need to have them in Spanish and apostilled (certified by the Department of State).
I suggest you contact the Ecuadorian embassy nearest you and visit them if you can not resolve all your questions over the phone.  Also you may find it easier to obtain your six month visa here and they can begin you residency work here.

So I can just take my passport for this first 2 month visit and all will be fine?

I spoke to a woman who is from Equidor and she suggested that I try Quito over Cuechina. This was based mainly on the availability of services.  From what she said you need about 1500 a month for a decent life there.  What I am looking into now is medical insurance.  Do you know of any restrictions in getting insurance in Equidor?

What is "Cuechina"?? $1500 per month is exaggerated no matter how you look at it. You can live in Florida for $1500 per month. If you go wild you can as well spend $3000 per month here.

Cuenca, is a lovely city in which to consider relocation, great year round weather, no AC or heat needed.   Rentals are going up as everyone is discovering this area.   Its not too far from the beaches so you can have the best of both worlds.    How long do you plan to stay on your initial visit?

Hi Getting There,

As far as I know anybody, national or foreigner can have private health insurace in Ecuador.

Maybe, they charge you more if you are from another country or you have pre existing conditions. But never is going to be as expensive as in USA.
Also, the private insurances are international so they cover you even if you are not in Ecuador. (like visiting relatives back in USA)

I'm planning to write an article about insurance in Ecuador 'cause lot of  people are asking about.

I agree with Lonewolf456, Cuenca is perfect for retirement or living in. I came here like 3 month ago and I love it.

Hi, I've been trying to get my sisters to travel to Equador with me, for the past year, but they don't believe the weather and cost of living is so good..
I love just about everything I've heard about Cuenca.  However, they read a blog on the web, where the lady said they were freezing and didn't have any heat..  She said, it was very cold, and it had rained everyday for weeks... She said, they put on all their clothes to be able to stand the cold, and that they put socks on their hands to warm them  ?? Someone please tell me how it really is in Cuenca.  thanks Marilyn

I believe that message was in July or August, the rainy season [ie winter]. It is now the dry season. I have been in Cuenca almost a month and it has only rained @ 2 whole days. Other than that, there have been pop-up showers of 30 minutes or so 5-6 days. This is NOT normal for this time of year! It should not be raining at all right now.

Think San Franscisco or Carmel, CA weather in the summertime and you have it. Most hotels do not have heat but I don't miss it.

Thanks so much for the information. Cool is fine with me. m

I'm planning my trip sometime in mid november so it's coming up!!  Anyone have an idea of what they'd do to get settled in if they were getting into Quito at 11:30 at night?

I'm moving to Cuenca in Feb. I heard the same about the unusually cold weather this year. Sounds a lot like Washington (where I live). I plan to bring cold weather clothes, gloves, scarf, hat, electric blanket and a portable space heater. I like to be prepared... I prefer occasionally chilly over hot, humid, muggy & buggy!

Remember  Cuenca is high in elevation, to itis cool    most of the time, but no need for AC or heat most of the time.   The  fresh air more than compensates for the heat and humidity in coastal or lower elevation areas.   Choices are abundant as you can see.   To me   Ill take the higher elevation any time. Have lived in Florida where its hot and humid 6 months out of the year, dont want or need that any more

Before chilly, moderate temperatures, overcast, rainy Washington I lived for 28 years in dry, cold/hot, sunny Denver, CO. Altitude is not a problem for me except for the need to adjust recipes for high-altitude baking! I'm hoping for more sunshine than WA. I'd rather not have to bring my vitamin D. I've spent too many years in locations that have almost no insects. Don't want to start now :-D

Thanks everyone for your input... I also live in southern Alabama, where the heat and humidity gets unbearable..  I'm only half an hour from the florida line, so I know what longwolf is talking about. Even though my country life is quiet, peaceful, and we have beautiful lakes, rivers, forest, and beaches to enjoy, the air get extremely muggy and buggy!!  It's miserable 5 months out of the year here, unless your're on, or in the water..
Ecuador sounds too good to miss out on..

While we do have hot days in our high summer -- February (think the opposite of up north) -- the breezes off the Pacific (and that antarctic Humboldt Current) keep things very comfortable here.  In fact the first stop most of our guests make is to the local mall to buy sweat pants and asweat shirt for night time because it's CHILLY!

We have a delightful couple from Minnesota staying here and they are truly delighted by the cool breezes -- in the sun it is warm, the shade a bit cooler -- and generall here in Salinas (since we have less rainfall than las vegas) the mosquito issue is nothing like up north.

But -- DO come visit becuase you really have to experience Ecuador and it's 11 microclimates (!) to get an idea!

Susan
TheOceanHideaway.com

(PS Putting on my sweater to go for my morning beach wal with the dogs)

Everybody be advise,

Ecuador is a small country with a lot of different climates and temperatures.

In Cuenca, Quito and other sierra cities, the houses, apartments doesn't have heat, and usually you don't need it.
But remember, weather is crazy now, not only in USA and, like two month ago, it was really chilly in Cuenca, even for me that I was living in Mass.

In Jan 2012, I will visit Cuenca with a small group of friends who want to retire there. One member of the group is concerned about safety.  From everything I read, Cuenca is quite safe.  Correct?

I too am 60ish and wanting to retire in Ecuador. I have not visited yet but plan to do so after the first of the year. The climate seems very versatile from beaches to mountains that I cannot wait to see the splendor.

If anyone reads this and would like a penpal, please respond as I am looking to make like-minded Ecuador Friends.

Diane

To Dillclop;

I'm living in Cuenca for many months and I feel very safe. Nothing compare to Quito or Guayaquil. This doesn't mind that you don't have to take precautions and follow basic safety rules.
The main concern could be pickpockets but if you travel and visit in group you're not have any trouble.
If you want, I can mail you a list of basic rules wrote by the Tourist Agency and if you need any other info about Cuenca, let me know.

Vinny

dispirit,  I too plan to visit Equador soon.. I am also learning everything I can about Cuenca and the surounding area..  I am interested in finding new friends to travel with to
Equador, to check it out as a possible retirement location.. I'm not crazy about traveling alone abroad, being a single female.
I live 75 minutes from the gulf beaches. I'd love to find a group of interested people to travel with.  Marilyn

I am a 55 y/o single woman planning to move to Cuenca after the first of the year (my dates are pretty flexible). If I can coordinate with someone else, it might be comforting to explore Cuenca with another "newbie" (& a guide of course) to check out rentals, negotiate a lease, get mail, learn how to take buses and taxis, open an account at the bank & utility companies, etc. and where to shop...the list goes on and on... :-D Being single I have more anxiety than a couple might about picking up and moving to Ecuador (without someone who "has my back" so to speak). I'm hoping to meet some friendly expats after I arrive.

Marilyn from Andalusia - since we live so close and are interested in Ecuador, please contact me.look forward to talking about visiting and retiring in Ecuador - would love company!!!
Diane

Miss Denver, dispirit, & ________,  I'd love to find a few to travel with, to explore Ecuador.. Safer,cheaper and more fun in numbers. This way we will surely find others interested in similar activities.  I may have a sister that is interested in going along, too.  marilyn

To everyone traveling to Cuenca after the first of the year: I am traveling with a small group (5 of us total) and will be in Cuenca only for a few days, Jan 21 to Jan 26.  Staying at Casa Ordonez.  I'd love to meet any or all of you for coffee or just to visit and chat about moving to Ecuador.  My personal email address is [email protected].  I'd love to hear from you!

@vinny66 - thanks for the information!!