Retirement plans in ecuador?

My wife and I are curious about Ecuador. Particularly the area around Cuenca. Are there any expats who live or have lived there?

Hi Michael, welcome to Expat.com :)

Your topic is being moved to Cuenca's forum for a better visibility and I hope you'll soon get some accurate responses from other members there.

Have a nice day further
Arlette

I live here and have an active blog about Ecuador... check it out for more good info... ecuadorrealestate.org   thanks, Dom

Check out "south of zero" website.  Has daily blogs from expats. southofzero.wordpress.com

(moderated: no free ads please)

here is an article on natural news about retiring in Ecuador
http://www.naturalnews.com/029566_Ecuad … ement.html

Cuenca is beautiful, that entire area is stunning, and its full of expats!

Hi, Wondering if it is possible for a couple with just retirement income but no real assets make it work in ecuador on the beach

deni;
Anything is "possible", but without a bit more detail, it's pretty much impossible for anyone to give you a reasoned response to the question "is possible for a couple with just retirement income but no real assets make it work in ecuador on the beach?"
So, the best I can do is share with you some of what my wife and I have learned in our research attempting to reach a decision on making a similar move.
Short answer, if your "retirement income" is under $1K/month it's borderline, at best, now, and most likely a recipe for disaster a few years down the road should inflation rear its ugly head (highly likely). If your talking about something in excess of $2K/month you'd be fine in the short run but again need to consider the "out" years (especially if unable to purchase your home).
One cannot overstate the "generalities" of remarks like the preceding. Does "on the beach" mean to you "toes in the sand" or a home a 10 minute walk back from the shore? (BIG difference in cost of housing). Does "on the beach" mean to you "Miami South Beach" digs replete with luxury condos and starbux or sand, waves, and a remote fishing village a 45 minute bus ride from the nearest grocery store? (again a MAJOR consideration in deciding if it's "possible")
For us, with what we hope(?) will be our moderate retirement income, we think we'll be okay living either on the beach or in the mountains so the cost of living is a concern we've pretty much put on the back burner.
While affordability is certainly something that must be considered though, it's far from the only consideration and, for us, far from the most important.
Best of luck in your quest and if we can pass along the one bit of advice that may be the most important that we've learned, it would be to plan a "get to know you" trip for as long as you can manage. We will be spending the month of July (and wish it could be longer). See as much of the country as you can, talk to as many people (both locals and expats) as you can, and approach it with eyes open. While info gained on the "internets" is great (and highly recommended) it's NOT the same as "face to face", in person.

I would like to move and settle in Ecuador with mu family of 4 members. My daughter and son are schooling. If I come here isit  possible to give them good education including other basic facilities like health & sports?

Hi and welcome to the forum nanda8875!

I would suggest you to start a new thread on the Cuenca forum for better visibility!

Regards
Armand